Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Widescreen/Letterbox/16:9

• 06-05-2003 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Well I've finally succumbed to the lure of widescreen and got a Philips 32" yesterday.

However with all the possible settings, I'm slightly confused which to use when watching widescreen broadcasts on Sky digital.

Using the "Letterbox" digibox setting and the 16:9 zoom on the TV I get a full screen picture, but I'm not so sure about the quality.

If I switch to the "Widescreen" digibox setting and select widescreen on the TV I get a full screen picture which seems to be better quality (or maybe I'm imagining it), but the setting remains for channels which are not widescreen and they seem stretched.

So can anyone say what the coreect settings should be ? Will I have to switch settings every time I change channel ? Sometimes the TV changes it's setting on it's own, but not always. Is this "widescreen switching" ?

Finally, is it just me, or is this whole thing quite complicated ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Letterbox mode is is the older TV, forcing widescreen imagery. Leave it at widescreen on digibox, and AUTO if you have the option on the TV. As you have already noticed, you do get a superior picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Thanks for the fast response.

Yep, when I switch to widescreen mode on the digibox, it seems to send a switching signal the the TV (sometimes anyway) which is cool.

I guess all the Sky channels will eventually have this as the changeover continues.

By the way, not quite "Sky" topic but anyway, when watching a DVD (like Lord of the Rings) should the TV be in "widesceen" mode (which leaves black bands top and bottom) or 16:9 zoom (which doesn't)?

I know there's probably no definitve way of doing these things, but I respect the judgement of the posters to this forum and I'm sure they'll have sussed out the settings for the best viewing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    By the way, not quite "Sky" topic but anyway, when watching a DVD (like Lord of the Rings) should the TV be in "widesceen" mode (which leaves black bands top and bottom) or 16:9 zoom (which doesn't)?

Jaysus - I'm slacking from work today.. :)

I always watch widescreen DVDs in Widescreen Mode. I think if you switch to Zoom you lose a little bit - it certainly doesn't look as good anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thrillseeker

Charles
    For best picture quality:
    Set your digibox to 16:9 picture format, scart control on and video output to RGB.
    Connect your digibox to RGB-capable scart input usually AV1.
    Set your DVD to 16:9 mode as well and connect it to an RGB capable SCART input.

My TV only has 1 RGB SCART but my DVD has a second scart which I use to pass-through my digibox signal when switched off.

Happy viewing.

Note Some programs on RTE auto switch to 14:9 due to some signal embedded in the signal (not by digibox)

Cue Watty to explain why.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

when watching a DVD (like Lord of the Rings) should the TV be in "widesceen" mode (which leaves black bands top and bottom) or 16:9 zoom (which doesn't)?

The TV should be in widescreen - you should see the black bars. LOTR is in approx 22:9 so it is wider than 16:9. If you use 16:9 zoom it will fill the screen but everything will appear squashed so that everything looks thinner than normal.

If your TV has an "Auto" mode use that - it should automatically adjust as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV widescreen, despite what Argos say is NOT Cinema Widescreen.

All Cinema OAR transfers to VHS or DVD are either letterboxed in a 4:3 frame (WS VHS or Non-Animorphic DVD) or in a 16:9 frame (animorphic).

Read my FAQ answer regarding WS on the "sticky".

The BBC often transmits 4:3 material "letterboxed" in a 16:9 animorphic frame which on a 4:3 TV gives:
    Low quality filled frame on Digibox 4:3 Crop setting
    Black border all the way round on Digibox Letterbox
    Black bands at side and reduced hieght on a 16:9 capable 4:3 TV on Digibox 16:9 mode

On a 16:9 TV the TV "thinks" it is WS, but you get black bands at side like a 4:3 picture, but less quality than a true 4:3 picture.

A 16:9 TV (or a modern 4:3 TV that can reduce height as if it is a WS tube) should always have digibox set to 16:9.

It won't "Switch" automatically unless you have:
    1) a SCART Lead
    2) Select AV not RF channel for Digibox
    3) Enable SCART control as well as 16:9 on Sky menu.

My 4:3 TV with true WS animorphic mode sometimes gets confused if you channel flick (or the Digibox does):
    Press TV
    Select a terrestrial Channel
    Press SKY (should automatically reselect AV input)

If Digibox is still stuck in WS Mode (on a 4:3 picture), then press 998 (info channel), then 214, or 214/215 then the 4:3 digibox channel.

Thanks guys - very helpful as usual.

Now I can look forward to the roll-out of widescreen on Sky Movies and Sky One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Charles

Are u allowed to say which model phillips u bought? Is it 100hz or 50?

PM if u you wish.

gb--

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

but the setting remains for channels which are not widescreen and they seem stretched.

Not sure about Philips TVs but I have a JVC 28" Widescreen and in the good menu, I have an option to have non-widescreen programming displayed as 4:3 (black bars at sides), 14:9 (half-ways) or Panoramic (stretched to fill screen).

Now OT slightly but I have my DVD player looped through my digibox, but would I be right in thinking it doesn't allow RGB or W/S switching loopthrough?

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    Charles

Are u allowed to say which model phillips u bought? Is it 100hz or 50?

PM if u you wish.

gb--

It's 50hz. I'm afraid a 100hz model will have to wait a while.

Having said that, it's pretty cool. And the automatic switching seems to be working a treat since changing the digibox setting.

• Advertisement

the model no?

gb--

Sorry GB, it's a Philips 32PW5407.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have a 28" Philips widescreen telly. my problem is RGB. if i turn it on the picture goes really dull and dark. what does this mean. the RGB works a treat on my 21" Panasonic and 14" Sony so it isn't the digibox. as for model number i don't have a clue. i could find out

Originally posted by watty
    TV widescreen, despite what Argos say is NOT Cinema Widescreen.

I notice that Argos no longer have widescreen TVs in their ROI catalogue. I wonder why?

Thanks Charles.

Mossy, RGB is a bit of a minefield and u can either be very lucky or not depending on the TV u get.

When the picture goes wonky it can either be a TV fault or maybe the SCART lead u are using. Do a few checks like swopping lead around or using the best one u have. Some SCARTS are badly wired and sometimes not all wires are used.

Finally here is a site that u may or may not enjoy. It will tell u lots about TV's etc, scroll down to AV HARDWARE AND VIDEO and click on TV - enjoy or not. I am still waiting to buy a new widescreen!!

http://www.avforums.com/

gb--

Originally posted by Richard
    I notice that Argos no longer have widescreen TVs in their ROI catalogue. I wonder why?
    Argos have always tended to take "Regionalisation" more seriously than PC World...

Argos:
    Didn't sell UHF aerials or UHF only TVs / VHS in Ireland cos some places need VHF (many places however are entirely UHF).

PC World:
    Still Sell DTT / DVBT cards for PC... (Maybe work in Clones or Dundalk) in Limerick and Blanchardstown

Argos:
    Didn't sell any phones with BT jacks

Anyone else:
    Pot luck...

Argos may have noticed that there is ZERO WS /16:9 output from Irish Broadcasters and ommited to notice that some of us have ROI Sky subs that get WS (We won't metion the ROI boxes that get C4 to Argos...)

They still have the sign at the TV display in Limerick "explaining" that WS TV are Cinema Format (which they arn't, ever, the narrowest widescreen cineam is 1.85:1 and widest is 2.7:1, a WS TV is 1.77:1 = 16:9).

Originally posted by watty
    Argos have always tended to take "Regionalisation" more seriously than PC World...

On a similar note, I noticed that "Miss Selfridge" sell articles of clothing with the Union Flag on them in several shops in the Republic. I can't see them selling many of them!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    Do a few checks like swopping lead around or using the best one u have. Some SCARTS are badly wired and sometimes not all wires are used.

i changed scart leads and their is a huge improvement but not perfect yet, except for the search and scan banner and some channels like ITV News, MTV 2, Sky Sports etc. that seems to love the RGB option while channels like Bloomberg and CNBC come out darker than usual :confused: my telly doesn't like financial channels for some reasons. i'll get a new scart lead at the weekend and see what effect that has

Gold is no advantage.

Screw off the cover and check that it uses minature coax (at least 9 of them) rather than a bunch of wires altogether inside a single screen.

Without 9 coax (RGB, CompIn/syncin, CompOut/sync out, LOut, R Out, LIn, RIn) you get "crosstalk" between video in and out, between the R G and B and between video and sound (Buzz on sound).

Get a good scart like QED, IXOS, MONSTER and argos has one from AR. It is a small price to pay but it may not solve the problem only eliminate one of the possible causes.

Good luck.

gb--

• Advertisement
Advertisement