Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Nation and Region Elections 2003

Options
  • 06-05-2003 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just a question.

Is the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly just glorified Local Government Councils?

Are their Council election/ councils in Wales and Scotland? For that matter in Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Yes believe me there are council elections in all three and I tell you another thing, fighting the council on an issue is a piece of piss compared to fighting an issue on the national levels - generally they tend to be the most conservative middle class annoyances you could ever wish to avoid! (Mind you, being a member of North Down Youth Council in NI, I can be slightly biased against them given that we youth groups fight tooth and nail for right to exist even without council funding).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Elmo
    Is the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly just glorified Local Government Councils?
    It depends on what type of council you talk about. Councils in the UK tend to have a lot more power than councils in Ireland. They have substantial input into policing, health, social services and education on a level that is alien to Ireland. The devolved Parliament / Assemblies have even greater powers (e.g. the Scottish Parliment all but banned hunting) and control how they spend their budgets. The Scottish Parliment can even vary income tax if it wants (limited to about a 3% deviation from the UK rate).

Advertisement