Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does being Right Wing Mean?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Actually there would be a police and justice system - privately owned.
    So those beneath a certain income level would not be able to afford justice or police protection. Like anarchism, the whole thing is a non starter.
    I wish I was able to see the World in the same shades of black and white :rolleyes:
    I said that in war it's sometimes necessary to take sides and divide sides into good and bad. Or bad and less bad as the case may be. Still waiting for opponents of the war to admit they were dead dead wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Still waiting for opponents of the war to admit they were dead dead wrong.
    Frankly, I'm still waiting for the pro-war groups to admit that they were wrong. No WMDs, the US now violating UN resolutions and UN sanctions, and Saddam's not dead, and the Taliban are retaking afghanistan, and the US have broken the Geneva and Hague conventions and developed a new grenade for deploying chemical and biological agents.
    So basicly, the tasks set have not been completed, international law and the UN have been trampled and spat on, and US citizens have seen their civil rights effectively torn up and binned.

And the war was right why, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Turnip
    So those beneath a certain income level would not be able to afford justice or police protection. Like anarchism, the whole thing is a non starter.
    You're still doing that not reading thing...
    I said that in war it's sometimes necessary to take sides and divide sides into good and bad.
    "Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate"

Originally posted by Sparks
    and the Taliban are retaking afghanistan
    Ah hang on...,lets not get carried away now...
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030511/wl_nm/afghan_taliban_protests_dc_1

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by bonkey
    Would you also say that all of the Iraqi civilians who were killed during the liberation of Iraq all deserved to die
    Originally posted by Turnip
    I’m afraid I’d have to say absolutely. They were evil people, no question about it.
    Now clarified by Turnip
    Er no, those who actively supported Saddam,

:rolleyes:

The "oh, I didnt realise what you were asking" excuse will go only so far......

jc

• Advertisement

Man,
    Ah hang on...,lets not get carried away now...
    It's not getting carried away. Between the Taliban and other guerilla groups, the majority of the country is NOT under the control of the offical afghan government.

Man,It's not getting carried away. Between the Taliban and other guerilla groups, the majority of the country is NOT under the control of the offical afghan government.
    Don't worry Sparks, Im just being pedantic,the Taliban are not re-taking Afghanistan, but there is general mahem.
    We were like that ourselves for a while back 80 years ago or more arguably whilst fighting both against an occupier and amongst each other on how our country should be run.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Maybe so but we weren't doing it with T-55 tanks and stinger fricking missiles!

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Maybe so but we weren't doing it with T-55 tanks and stinger fricking missiles!
    Indeed,"we" were pretty good with the ambushes though.
    My point , was a general one, ie to restructure a country, means turmoil.
    Thinking about it,theres probably more similarities, between the mindsets of those causing the turmoil in afghanistan today and those of our ancestors in the early 20th century.
    mm

Man,
    As I recall, we didn't start our civil war until the treaty was signed. Besides which, you cannot make any meaningful comparison between 1920 Ireland and 2003 Afghanistan. The demographics, the terrain, the weaponry, the history, the language, the cultures, the politics - none of these bear any real resemblence to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Man
    My point , was a general one, ie to restructure a country, means turmoil.
    Thinking about it,theres probably more similarities, between the mindsets of those causing the turmoil in afghanistan today and those of our ancestors in the early 20th century.
    This is off topic to a discussion about the definition of left and right in political ideologies.

The argument of who has the moral high ground with regard to either Afghanistan or Iraq is a moot one. Pro or anti, I suspect anyone claiming such a moral high ground is probably delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Correct. GPs are better trained and more skilled than paramedics.

This is a vast over-generalisation - Try asking your average GP to intubate a patient, or stop a major bleed & see what happens.

Sparks,
    Well i'd have thought , given, the repression the Taliban had on all forms of media, and western culture, that rural Afghani's might be pretty similar in their outlook and knowledge of the world as we were in the 20's.
    They were invaded by the Soviet union and more recently by a western coalition.
    And in between there was the Taliban,a bastion for forcing people to support it.
    There were plenty of mountainy boreens, with no Tar macadam for us to wage mahem on, and isn't that what done in michael Collins?
    The weaponary held by Irish "rebels" was probably relatively as poor in comparison to what the Brits had here back then as ,what Afghan Rebels have now compared to the Americans.
    Afaik, women didn't have the vote untill they were thirty ( I'm open to be corrected on that ) And the power of the Catholic church was Supreme.

Totally different Scenario's yes, but the same virus was operating.
    mm

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    This is off topic to a discussion about the definition of left and right in political ideologies.

The argument of who has the moral high ground with regard to either Afghanistan or Iraq is a moot one. Pro or anti, I suspect anyone claiming such a moral high ground is probably delusional.
    agreed on the off topicness, apoligies,but I only strayed down this road, in answer to Sparks, apoligies for bringing him with me :)
    mm

Man,
    Oi! Read back a few posts mate, you started this!

Man,
    Oi! Read back a few posts mate, you started this!
    Ach no, technically it was Turnip, who brought up the war,your answer, included something I tended towards disagreeing with,regarding the Taleban, and off I went then...:o probably knowing, you might follow sorry :)
    For another thread maybe.
    mm

Advertisement