Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old School versus Science

• 06-05-2003 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Hi

In the next couple of weeks I plan to start training for next years rugby season. I need a few weeks off to let bones etc heal and give the chiropractor a chance to straighten me out before I undo all his work again. :D.

I’ve been toying with the idea of training without using a gym for the summer i.e. running in my local park, skipping, push ups, chin up, punch bag etc. Basically staying away from machines and doing all my training using my body’s resistance and boundaries. I really shouldn’t watch the rocky movies. :p

I want to do this because I think it will mentally and physically toughen me up. I plan on making the AIL squad next year and it’s a big step up from under twenties rugby, I’m not going to able to catch up strength wise for at least two or three years so I need to be as fast, fit and agile as possible as to have an advantage over older slower but stronger players.

My question is does training like this have it’s merits or will I get far better results joining a gym and using the machines there and the programs that professionals have set out?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Pick whichever you think you'll work hardest at, and do that. But do it properly, do up a programme for whichever approach and stick to it. Personally I find a mixture of both works for me.

As for chiropractors, I have an injury at the moment ad I wasted 200euro and 3 weeks on a chiropractor, a physio will have me sorted in 2 weeks for a fraction of that. Never again will I go near a chiropractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Going by what you said, and given that you are making an either/or decision. Go with the 'old school' as you put it.

Ideally a combination is good, but try and do a bit of research on the web for goodplyometrics programs or simply information on them and build it up yourself.

Sprints, zig zags, vertical jumps, resistance running etc. all these things will help you and can be done in a park outdoors. Which might be a bit nicer in the summer. Also you have minimal if any equipment requirements.

You will get out what you put in, and although they are a poor substitute for strength or power training in a gym (imo) they are probably better suited to developing a better skill set on the pitch.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Oh as for chiropractors, I had a fairly critical back injury from deadlifting which at one point left me unable to walk unassisted or tie my own shoelaces.

Physio was unable to help initially, but after my first chiropractor session I was able to walk out with minimal pain. However ... in 2 subsequent visits he did nothing to improve the situation.

So I went back to a better physio in Merrion square for rehab and it did help by addressing a relative weakness in my lower back.

It did not solve the problem entirely though, and I am still prone to aggravating the injury (Squatting is a major culprit).

Still in the last year it has given almost no trouble due to consistently working on building up my lower back area as I would train any other area.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Thanks for the responses I’m going to go with the “old school” training for about six weeks and review then. I also think it will be good because I tore ligaments in my shoulder earlier in the season and they didn’t set right (that’s what I get for taking it out of the sling when the pain went and not leaving it long enough to let the ligaments tighten:)) so push ups should put less strain on the area then bench press, so it hopefully will build it up with out doing any more damage.

Just on the chiropractor thing I had trouble with hamstrings for two years due to tight back muscles, went to physio constantly during the rugby season and they were only able to keep me running but not fully cure.

Went to the chiropractor and after a few sessions he had relieved the tightness and I had more power in my legs (noticed straight away when lifting in line outs).

Only took him about two weeks although I stopped early, he wanted me to keep going but I felt the problem had been solved and his fifteen minute sessions were expensive.

Advertisement