Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a deflector system??

Options
  • 06-05-2003 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭

I was down in Wexford at the weekend (Feathard-On-Sea) and where I was staying we could watch the UK terrestial channels via a normal aerial.

Channel 4 and BBC One had interactive red dots on screen some of the time - so I assume these were re-broadcast signals from a Sky digibox.

Is this a deflector system? How do the operators of these systems make any money??

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think there is any money to be made really from deflector systems. Here in Donegal, quite a few towns and villages use deflectors, including where I live.

In some areas, they seem to have some sort of commitee who go house to house asking for a donation to help pay for maintainence and the license. In one town I know of, a lot of people refused to pay for the upkeep of the local deflector system because they'd Sky, and so the system was switched off just before Christmas! There was a sudden demand for Sky for the people that had relied on the sytem! Bit unfair really I guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by jdempsey
    I was down in Wexford at the weekend (Feathard-On-Sea) and where I was staying we could watch the UK terrestial channels via a normal aerial.

Channel 4 and BBC One had interactive red dots on screen some of the time - so I assume these were re-broadcast signals from a Sky digibox.

Is this a deflector system? How do the operators of these systems make any money??

Yep, when I was in Fethard-on-Sea two summers ago I could pick up BBC ONE Wales, BBC TWO Wales, HTV Wales, and S4C via a deflector from Tramore. (I knew it was from Tramore as S4C would display a "Tramore Multi Systems" test card while Welsh programmes were on).

However you may find that with a good (even an indoor aerial with a booster) aerial, you may be able to pick up BBC ONE South West, BBC TWO South West, Westcountry Television, and Channel 4 off air on a very good day! I was amazed to find myself watching Westcountry Live in Fethard one day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I've always believed that the deflector licesnsing scheme shows how bankrupt Irish politics and the "cute hoor" mentality of the Irish where they expect something for nothing.

The arguement is that deflector systems are examples of commuities helping themselves. Yet most will readily watch the signal without their voluntary payment and of course the business model is flawed as the payments to program providers is not factored in. People get exactly what they pay for - crap.

You can be guaranteed that South Coast tv would be offering free service in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In fairness the average deflector system is still far better than MMDS
    People get exactly what they pay for - crap
    Maybe but it we do live in a free market economy. If people are willing to pay for what is (in your view) crap then so be it. Remember though In some areas its the only way people can get UTV and C4

Advertisement