Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer shop guy wanted

• 06-05-2003 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine mentioned this to me this morning:

<advert>
    Computer/Gadget shop southside city centre (more or less) is looking for 1-2 staff for sales, customer facing and some technical support.
    Appropriate canidates should have an interest in technology in order to be able to converse knowlegably with the customers.
    This is a young, energetic business and would probably suit similar staff.

</advert>

I know the owner of the business involved (easygoing, nice guy) and that, for the right person, this could be a great job.

The money involved (initially anyway) would not be great but the prospects could be great.

If you're interested ring 01 4757177 and ask for Colin Baker. <edit> Alternatively email colinbaker1@eircom.net

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Would he be willing to take somebody on for the summer?
    Where on the southside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I would also be interested in summer work after the LC if its available.
    What is the name of the shop?
    What would the hours be?
    What would the intial pay be? (dont worry I am a student :))

-Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Not sure what his stance is on summer work, best to give a ring and ask. Same as regards hours and pay (though pay would be resonable knowing him). Name of the shop is Back from the Future and it's on Angier Street (not sure if thats the right spelling). If you turn onto Georges Street from Dame Street and walk up past the second set of traffic lights, the shop is on the right hand side right opposite one of the 'Shauna's' sex shops.

Position (fulltime) has been fillled - by someone from boards too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Position (fulltime) has been fillled - by someone from boards too

Indeed it has. ;)

They are on the lookout for someone to work over the summer. So, place your calls, or indeed drop an email! Get in fast as the decision will be probably be made in a few days.

Hours would typically be 10AM until 6PM. Mon to Fri, but there may be Saturday work too.

The shop is on Aungier St. about 5mins walk up George's St. from Temple Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

so who's working there now?

is milo still working there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Milo is gone back to Canada for the Summer, and will most likley just be working part-time when he returns.

Some dude called James is working there (LOL)

I sent him an email. When should I expect a reply?
    How can I secure the Position? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Was just browsing around when I noticed this post.

Yes I know Im being picky when I post this but pfft....

Why did this thread read "computer guy wanted"??

just annoyed me a bit and had to post.

Rgds,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Cos girlllllllls cant use computers, or drive or ANYTHING.

(heh)

Denis.

• Advertisement

Yeah, er, sorry for that but the fact is that, despite my best wishes to any women interested in the industry, the vast majority of people involved are, well, guys...

Personally I'm sure the majority of techies would love to see more women involved in the industry, just isn't the case currently *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Quotes
    for the right person, this could be a great job.

The money involved (initially anyway) would not be great but the prospects could be great.

I really have to laugh when i see these lines in job adds.
    They are right up there with 'a chance to work in a challenging environment'

The prospects are great, for the right person, in McDonalds too. :)

If you interest runs to a career in MacDonalds then yeah

'The prospects are great, for the right person, in McDonalds too '.

Not something that would interest me I admit, bit a passion about my current type of work, but I've never looked down on people who were interested...

I wasn't saying i look down on anyone doing any job.
    In fact i'm an ex builders labourer and listen to people in my office talking down on builders etc and have to point out to them that they sit at a desk for a living and a builder does extremely hard work.

My point was about the way job advertisers justify money not being great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Originally posted by Evac101

If you're interested ring 01 4757177 and ask for Colin Baker.

does he have a Tardis ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks for your response Evac101.

Rgds,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by superfly
    does he have a Tardis ;)

i think that was tom baker.

Originally posted by b3t4
    Was just browsing around when I noticed this post.

Yes I know Im being picky when I post this but pfft....

Why did this thread read "computer guy wanted"??

just annoyed me a bit and had to post.

Rgds,
    A.

understand completely where you are coming from Beat, but to be honest, i think this place is fairly relaxed, and not really into the gender discrimination. Im quiet sure that there was not any gender misalignment meant, but as pointed out, the vast majority of technicians are male. although i have worked with some extremely useful female techies in my time.

i dont really want to have a whole gender war going on, as that would mean i have to edit virtually ever time someone posts here :)

its the same when refering to nurses, most people assume you mean a female, but no-one really cares if its a bloke.

and if people start taking offense to that, then they can post up on the PI board, and i can then ask them politely, as is my manner, to stop being so anal :)

Does it really matter, because there was absolutely no feedback what so ever :(

Sorry for, quite possible, finding offense where I shouldn't have to both bet4 and DaithiSurfer's mails. Fact of the matter is that (b3t4) one of the people on my desk who left recently was a techie of the feminie persuarsion and we seriously feel the lack of her - the male techie replacing her hasn't a patch of her knowledge.

To DaithiSurfer the reason I used the terminology I did was that I have 'insider' knowledge as to the possible career path available to the person who got that job and if not for the combination of my financial commitments and that the job had a lower starting wage then when I'm scrapping by on at the moment I would have taken it in a heartbeat for the possible advancement opportunities.

Finally, to Committed I'm sorry that he never got back to you, all I can say is that I know that he rarely has the chance to go out anymore because of his work commitments, so it doesn't entirely surprise me if he's tardy responding to mails:(

Regards all,
    Evac

• Advertisement

Sorry guys,
    Didn't mean for anyone to take up my post the wrong way.
    I was just making a little humerous observation (because we were laughing about that very thing at work the other day)
    Please take it in the light hearted manner it was meant in :)

Originally posted by Evac101
    Sorry for, quite possible, finding offense where I shouldn't have to both bet4 and DaithiSurfer's mails. Fact of the matter is that (b3t4) one of the people on my desk who left recently was a techie of the feminie persuarsion and we seriously feel the lack of her - the male techie replacing her hasn't a patch of her knowledge.

To DaithiSurfer the reason I used the terminology I did was that I have 'insider' knowledge as to the possible career path available to the person who got that job and if not for the combination of my financial commitments and that the job had a lower starting wage then when I'm scrapping by on at the moment I would have taken it in a heartbeat for the possible advancement opportunities.

Finally, to Committed I'm sorry that he never got back to you, all I can say is that I know that he rarely has the chance to go out anymore because of his work commitments, so it doesn't entirely surprise me if he's tardy responding to mails:(

Regards all,
    Evac
    Could you ask him to have a look, or else i'll send it again.
    Cheers,
    Mark

<<<<GROUP HUG>>>>

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

*licks wwm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i love you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

Does it really matter if they say guys or not? Do you get mad if they say lads as well? What difference does it make? Do you sleep worse at night thinking about whether or not they understand your gender? Is it worth even mentioning? From one woman to another hunny I think you are a little too sensitive. I work in a male dominated industry as well. It is kind of nice to be the only woman. And I really don't care if I get called a guy, it makes me feel like the respect me like one of the lads. I think you need to relax and have a beer or find someone else to give a woman's empowerment speech to!

Advertisement