Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vines

Options
  • 06-05-2003 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Well who else was at this on saturday night I have to say that was one amazing gig loads of energy great songs u couldn't ask for much more could u

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Bulmers on tap.....
    Oh yeah and not having a 10ft 6" giant standing in front of you.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

where were u standing bandit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

was it any good?
    i don't think i like the pop rock of the vines.

the australian nirvana methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭starlet

class class CLASS. that bass player's a fox aswell. can anyone explain the Nirvana thing, coz i can't see it.....?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Jolene

Craig was such a knob, tit and any other body part you may wish to describe him as.
    Good show though. Thought I'd be dissapointed but nope

• Advertisement

yeah, BUT, his hair is very very straight. i'm quite jealous actually. and d'you know what, australians really DO say "AH YEAH??!!!" (both as a question and an answer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Jolene

Yeah, and they really don't give an XXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    where were u standing bandit?

To the left of the mixing desk as you walk in, there was three guys in front of me :- a giant, a guy who texted through the whole gig and this stunning looking guy who all the girls were staring at and who I'd say is really sound......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Man I like the Vines album, but christ when I saw them over here they were shyte, Craig is a penis and most songs disintegrated into mindless out of key squawking. Plus there was no fluidity to the set list, it was fast song slow, slow slow slow, fast slow fast slow nobody knew what was going on! I was very dissapointed.

In fairness I cant see how you cant see the Nirvana link, they sound like a bloody Nirvana covers band! But I like Nirvana so thats ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Shoulda been down the front, cant text down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

I really wanted to go to see them! Damn the UCD archaeology and german departments for having exams on that day!

On the plus side, Dandys next week! and the new album is great (or at least what i have heard of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Originally posted by starlet
    class class CLASS. that bass player's a fox aswell. can anyone explain the Nirvana thing, coz i can't see it.....?:confused:

are you serious?

it's like saying you can't notice any of the rip off bands today...

The coral = the cure
    white stripes = pixies
    BRMC = jesus and mary chain
    the vines = nirvana
    yeah yeah yeahs = blondie

some people think it's good to have lots of bands around sounding like bands from the seventies.

thos epeople are lost and might be found, but personally i don't like reliving what my parents did.

Does nobody notice how stylish these bands are?
    i mean it's an image thing, oyu do know that?

Ever since NME were going down the tube they needed to pop themselves up a bit.

it's kind of pathetic that we have to rely on bands that have been around for nearly 10 years (even 20) to get our thrills... and even some people go to these vines, and datsuns and libertines etc.

i feel sorry for them... nobodys gonna give a **** when they're gone... and some don't even give a **** while they're here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    The coral = the cure

Now REALLY!!
    Please dont insult the Cure in such a hurtful manner!!!
    :eek:

white stripes = pixies

The pixies were never that good, there was just no competition at the time.

The Stripes are a far far far superior proposition than the pixies are/were and will ever be.

Anyway whats wrong with sounding like a good band, if yo sound good in your own right whats the problem. And i dont mean Atomic spice or whoever doing 'under the bridge' et al.

Originally posted by acquiescefc
    The pixies were never that good, there was just no competition at the time.

The Stripes are a far far far superior proposition than the pixies are/were and will ever be.

OH DEAR GOD!!!
    For once in my life I am completely speechless!!:eek: :eek:

are you serious?

well, you'll have to excuse me if i take music for what it is rather than sit around analysing it for riffs that Kurt Cobain would SO have thought of. quit living in the past!!! the same could be said for most of the bands you've mentioned, maybe, but who gives a fiddler's if it sounds alright? everyone's influenced by something, and i've listened to Highly Evolved enough to form my own opinion of it: it doesn't strike me as sound EXACTLY like Nevermind. so, emmmm....there.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Does nobody notice how stylish these bands are?
    i mean it's an image thing, oyu do know that?

Music and fashion have always gone together. Look at Punk, Hippies, Mods, Teddy Boys etc. Making statements through the clothes you wear is one of the simplest forms of expression you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Hang on a minna Raggamuffin....The Coral DO NOT sound like The Cure. I like both bands and they do not sound one bit like each other. The Coral do not have that same kinda poppy sound that the Cure had, they are a lot more raw....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Em!?!

The Cure - The Lovecats

The Coral - Dreaming Of You

:rolleyes:

Emm ......... still dont get it..
    And the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sound nothing like Blondie.... If anything they sound like X RAy Spex

• Advertisement

Pixies not as good as the white stripes?
    sorry your opinion does'nt matter if it sounds absolutly ridiculous.

the point is everybody is settling for bands who are'nt up[ to scratch.

As with the irish music scene demand more for your tatse buds.

Being negative is'nt a crime, and either is living in the past.
    but ignoring the fact that at present what's being offered is sub standard won't change a thing.

I guess somebody should have told Kurt Cobain to throw out his black flag and buzzcocks records... stop living in the past.

But didn't Kurt Cobain also say he was trying to rip off The Pixies???

So if a band you like rips off something its ok??
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

the vines=nirvana is fairly obvious,
    sure they started off as a nirvana covers band.
    clones they may be but they're doing a great job of it.
    i don't care if they're nme friendly in the image dep. -
    they've an excellent album.

no harm in the vines and white stripes sounding like their predecessors when they're making music that obviously a lot people appreciate.

so i agree with acquiescefc
    - well i agree with half of what u said...
    " far far far superior "????
    no debating on that one, we'll leave u alone with that opinion!

kurt did'nt rip off the pixies though
    he merely borrwed form the sound... and mutated it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Amnesiac

left half-way through...what a crock.

music for stoners is all it was.

self-indulgent boll*x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

I am quite outraged that someone has the opinion that the white stripes are better than than the pixies,too my knowledge the stripes have three albumns elephant which is really really quite awful,whie blood cells from what ive heard good in places,and i havent heard their first albumn but any baand that equals doolittle or surferosa would have to be one great band
    someone back me up here
    as for competition the cure,new order,soundgarden,alice in chains,r.e.m,u2,even pink floyd,flaming lips,nine inch nails,

cure sounding like the coral? explain please

no harm in the vines and white stripes sounding like their predecessors when they're making music that obviously a lot people appreciate.

.....thank you, that was EXACTLY my point. sorry if i don't see the Vines the same as everyone else, but there's no need to be RUDE about it, Raggamuffin.

oh yeah, and....
    cure sounding like the coral? explain please

please do, someone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

mmmmm music's tastey

neither am i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Seriously!?! Does no one get that between The Cure and The Coral? Listen to those two songs and to the bass lines! I only know the name of that song because my brother listens to The Coral and all those NME bands. Even he admitted they sound the same.

As well, listen to Psycho Candy and then listen to BRMC. It's unbelievable the comparisons. Honestly can ppl not see these similarities between the bands that Raggamuffin has pointed out? :confused:

quote:

I would tend to agree with the above quote, but I think ppl have to first admit to themselves and stop denying that the bands don't sound the same when they obviously do. Even to acknowledge the "influences" can lead you to discovering other great bands. And that can't be a bad thing. What's that ****e trademark soundbite "The original and still the best"?

:rolleyes: :confused: I don't know :confused: :rolleyes:

The review in The Slate of Radio 4's new album is relevant to this thread.

(I'm going to edit this part of my post in a day or two when I find this months edition of The Slate, in the mess that is my bedroom, to get the full correct quote)

• Advertisement

OK maybe I was asking for it by sayin the 'far far' bit.

Pixies were great for some people, fine, wasnt my cup o char, debaser is grand but doesnt rock ur socks that much, like I mean teen spirit or somethin.

As for the other comparisons, BRMC are fully aware that they sound like JAMC, thats what they WANT to sound like and if it gets 'the kids' into old sh1t then fine.

Cure/Coral, I think if you look someone did explain further down but I being around when the latter were I cant say that is true. Coral are pretty damn borin compared to the Cure(I wasnt a fan btw)

The Vines have covered numerous bands, I have a load of demos from mp3land and not one of those is a nirvana track funily enough.

And the Stripes have 4 albums too now btw and they are all class but I cant believe anyone can say that they sound like the Pixies...that is total bol1ox, but its the thought that counts (for nothing)

I personally dont listen to 'said' band or bands because of style then I would be a punk/mod/ted/hippy/red n black/technicolour fuct up dress sense type o guy.

What dya mean I am.. sh1t

Advertisement