Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on a car purchase plese.

Options
  • 06-05-2003 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

My friend is selling her VW Polo because she's heading to the states for the summer. She'll give it to me for €2,500. It's just been NCT'd and she's had no problems with it ( the boot doesnt lock though).

However, I haven't even had one driving lesson yet. I'll start on the 1st of June. I think I'm on my 2nd provisional.

I'm seriously thinking of buying her car. Given my situation, does anyone think I'm making a bad decision?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

what year is it??i am currently looking for a car aswell and the other day i saw a 95' VW polo for €2500 [in a dealership] with NCT just done its in good condition and has a nice set of alloys i would say you would get it for €2200.driving isnt that hard i only did a few lessons and i picked it up fairly fast.i would recomend you getting the car if you can afford it and get it at a lower price

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

It's a 95 aswell. Sounds exacly like the one you describe except it doesn't have alloys.

Can I drive / get insured on my second provisional?

ya you can drive on ur own afaik, but they are changing it.it doesnt really matter i know loads of ppl ho drive on there first licence nad they are never stoped,the guards dont really care aslong as you dont do anything stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I thought they brought in some new law as of january first this year? Maybe that was related to insurance.

they could of, i remember hearing somthing about that but i wasnt sure if it was in or not, but its not really inforced.though if your in an accident your not insured so the choice is yours also you will get about 20% off your insurance if you have a full licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd still get an AA (or local mechanic) inspection. I know someone who had a similar Polo and had to have the gearbox replaced twice.

Advertisement