Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband offering!

Options
  • 06-05-2003 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Well just had a visit from a nice guy from NTL, who was offering Broadband access to lucan,
    NTL i thought hmmm, have i heard this b4 fast access cheaply, well i have to eat humble pie, as i have just signed a contract for Cable access for wait for it €40 euros a month,

Installation is €65 euros, no charge for the Modem, there are a few small things ie u need some network expertise to have more then one pc on this modem, also its a static ip address so a Firewall is a MUST.

So one off cost of $65 for installation
    €40 per month
    600k access
    always on NO DOWNLOAD LIMIT
    15:1 Ratio

Well this is a real chance for people to get cheap broadband,there is one thing You must be a NTL customer to get this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wow !
    :rolleyes:

hate :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

At €40 a go, they're charging you for the modem, because it only costs €35 a month + €5 for the modem(well, that what it was for me when I got it)
    I also didn't get charged for the installation. and got a free month trial.. which has turned into over a year now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I didn't know they are doing cable in lucan. I live right beside ya in leixlip. If it becomes available here before eircom or esat get adsl available here i'll go for ntl:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I really thought this would be another post from someone living in Tallaght just discovering that NTL offer broadband there.

I wonder will they stop at Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I'm in Leixlip too. Hope it's available here, it sounds a helluva lot better than what Eircom are offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Aye, Leixlip here too, sounds really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The NTL Broadband rollout is back on. This is great news, it is the best deal in Ireland.

NTL will make no ridiculous claims this time. If you think you may have been upgraded (around Lucan) look for some green boxes on the pavement at road junctions with signs of recent digging.

Lucan is first on the list, I must keep schtumm on the other bits of the rumours that I have heard about NTL and their plans. :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Muck,

Don't suppose Bray (Dublin Scumbag daytrip destination of choice) features in those 'rumours'??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

or Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Or Dublin City Centre? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh i wanna know about bray to + i like your description of Bray v.funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_faqs%20euro.html#13
    Where and when will ntl's Always-On Broadband Internet service be available?The rollout plan of our broadband internet service is curerntly only available in certain parts of West Dublin in and around the Dublin 24, 16, 6W and Lucan area. You will need to live in an area where ntl have built a cable network and offer its cable services. In order to get more information on our roll out plan and get an indicative date of when the service will be available in your area, please call 1800 923 005.

was lucan always mentioned there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I cannot really say any more, save to wish y 'all well in Lucan.

I was shown a list (and an NDA to sign ) and Lucan was supposed to be first go in April. It is now early May so the information was pretty accurate.

Lucan Boards denizens should be prepared to answer their doors over the next 2-4 weeks because it could be good news for yooooooouuuuuu!

I can confirm that other areas are being upgraded , Newbridge is a Chorus zone so that is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

phukin chorus

ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Yeah, good thinking NTL, let's keep the rollout plan secret whatever you do. You certainly wouldn't want anybody holding off getting ADSL from Eircom when cable internet is imminent in the area.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Hey I noticed the footpath I walk to school dug up there last week :) and there's a little green box attached to a lampost further down the road. But 1 problem, I'v got ntl digital and half the channels don't work. therefore meaning the lines are crap?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Do you think it will ever be available in the City Centre?

This offer is unbeatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm they changed that "wheres it available" section, it used to say Dublin West and Dublin 24 before. Must ring them tomorrow to see if they have upgraded Ballinteer.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

gandalf,

any idea if they have plans to go as far as the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im pretty sure it always said Dublin 24, 16 and 6W. As far as i can tell, only the lucan bit is new. Then again, im old and losing it a bit :)

• Advertisement

TBH I dunno. I have fired a mail off to a couple of contacts I used to talk to in there to see if there is indeed a change (don't know if they still work for NTL). If I get a reply then I'll let you guys know and I'll fire another query about rollout locations and timescales.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Im pretty sure it always said Dublin 24, 16 and 6W. As far as i can tell, only the lucan bit is new. Then again, im old and losing it a bit :)

Nope I definately don't remember seeing D16 there before.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

T'is much easier to offer new services to areas where a massive amount of new houses have been built because the bulk of the cable will be new. Given the sheer volume of houses in the Lucan/Leixlip area I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've got their own headend too - this makes things even easier for the NTL folks.

Those of us in "older" areas will have to wait for the big dig and I suspect we'll appear further down on any lists....

Just my 1 euro's worth (excluding VAT and caps)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I want it in Palmerstown!! Its not that far from Lucan and we were one of the original test areas of the 1 way system many years ago.

[edit]just called them, talked to Allan in sales... he is as frustrated as us it seems!! :D He said "they dont tell us anything!" So he confirmed the Lucan rollout but not Palmerstown and no idea of when it might get here... ah well.. im probably going netsource but since its only 2 month contract i can get out of it no problems.. unlike Eircon or Esat.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Just got off the phone from a very helpful person from NTL. She confirmed that they are now available in Lucan. Unfortunately my house is apparently still on a one way but she is getting in touch with someone in engineering and will get back to me in 5 working days. I did point out that I was looking at going to IOL broadband at present and had to make a decision fairly quickly and she seemed cofident something could be done.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

It's said:
    West Dublin in and around the Dublin 24, 16 and 6W
    since they updated the internet section of their website back when they ditched their CPS telephony options. So lucan is the only change.

As for how to tell if you're upgraded:
    Originally posted by maxheadroom at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=787480#post787480
    Ok, this is going to sound long widned, but this is how I convinced tham that I was actually upgraded:
    1. Check that you have an upgraded 4 point multitap on the front of your house
    2. Trace the cable to the end of your road, where it goes down the side of a house and disappears into the ground
    3. Nearby, look for a black ntl box embedded in the footpath, with a strip of "new" concrete leading in the direction of the house identified in step 2
    4. look up and down along the strip of new concrete going down the footpath. You may have to do a bit of walking, but look for small, medium or large metal green boxes, a bit like the tiny ESB cabinets or the boxes beside new traffic lights
    5. If you have all of this in place, ring them again, tell them what you've gone through, and ask specifically what is preventing you from getting the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

I just got off the phone with NTL. They said that the broadband service is not yet available in Lucan. The girl I spoke to said that they are currently running trials in Lucan but it is not generally available yet. Did you also call 1800 923 005 number or is there another one that I should be calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I just called Ruth in NTL she said that my line cant take it as it has only a one way circuit But it will take 5 working days to get back to me (thats taking the piss)

She did not not know what contention ratio meant (Nice training of staff NTL)

Ruth also said that is a guarenteed 600k and the speed will never drop some how I dont believe this can anyone confirm.

If all goes well I think I might go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Bunch of arse. D6W is just that tiny little bit of Templogue that they always had. I got the usual, "well it may be several months .......".

Storm in a tea cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Dangger - it's Lucan , not Dublin 6w that they upgraded?

Advertisement