Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which of these boxes??

• 06-05-2003 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I need your help in deciding which Digibox I go for from this list. the box will be paired with a FTV card.

Amstrad 100
    Panasonic DSB31
    Grundig GDS3000
    Panasonic DSB30

I'm kinda steering towards the grundig at the moment because it also has S-video on it, which I will use as I have a projector that I want to connect the system up to.

your help is much appreciated.

Jasgrif11

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Either of the Panasonics. No question. I wouldn't even consider the other two! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've a panny 31 and I'm quite happy with it. My father has the grundig on your list and the EPG is very very slooooow. Plus the reported problems with old-fashioned teletext on the grundig (the one grundig blames on the TV (there was a brief discussion on this a good while back)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Panny all the way and the TSB 30 has a very fine tuner but the TS31 has faster software.

Use RGB for picture and forget about S-Video.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Thanks a lot guys looks like the panny is the way to go

many thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

no problem:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what is it about the Grundig that people don't like. i have one and it is purring like a kitten. no problems with it and teletext has always been fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

the teletext on my grundig has been fine for a while now (touch wood!)
    I havent had to reboot the box for some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All the boxes are fine if kept cool.
    All will be likely to fail inside a year if in an enclosed, unventailated cabinet.

The early ones have a slower CPU so are a bit sluggish on Interactive, menus, channel flicking etc.

Projector usually use S-Video or Composite for TV and only RGB for PC VGA/SVGA/XGA. If this is case I'd use the box with S-Video.

When you are actually WATCHING a film or sport (the main uses of a projector, news, made for TV drama or soaps look silly at 5ft across in a Living room), the Digibox menu speed or teletext is not relevent.

And onless it fails in middle of program, the reliablity is not an issue either.

My old slow CPU Grundig bought S/H is fine, as is the newer faster Pace I got 1st Monday subsidied intstall from prior £300 came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    what is it about the Grundig that people don't like. i have one and it is purring like a kitten. no problems with it and teletext has always been fine

I konw mine is in perrrrrfect:) order

Advertisement