Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a suggestion to our Moderators!.re moderation?.

Options
  • 06-05-2003 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Dear Moderators,

Currently your goodseleves, Dustaz & sceptre, and a great voluntary job you are both doing.

However, you know how it is when someone is having a particularly bad day ! a we all do. An - ill thought out - post might appear in a thread on this forum. This sometimes then initiates a - Very Public rebuke - from a moderator, who might even be having a bad day themselves?.

IMHO, a PM to the guilty party might just help too quietly and privately resolve the issue without causing any public dogfights or bad feelings being generated in either direction, which helps no one or even more importantly this forum itself.

Not that I/me *Paddy20 has ever suffered or been publicly rebuked by a moderator or anyone else! oh no I vehemently dany it.

This is only a suggestion that I humbly believe would contribute significantly towards making this IOFFL forum a more peaceful place than it already is!.

Off subject I know, but relevent I think.

Yours,

Paddy20:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

er...what?

The only moderation weve been doing a lot of is moving off-topic threads to broadband (and oh boy, weve been doing a lot of that).

So in closing...er....what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like Dustaz, pretty much all I've been doing lately is moving threads to other forums. I've edited two posts in the past week (in both cases they were edited for prety good reasons (incitement to bombing & insulting another poster (I keep all edited posts in a little folder here))).

With the volume of posts we get (it's a pretty busy forum), it's easier to edit a post that's obviously against the rules rather than get involved in a discussion through PMs, which would take half the day and lead to the same result (the intention is less important than the perception - in other words, when editing I consider what a normal person reading the post would think rather than how I'm feeling about what colour shirt I'm wearing)

If this post is in some way related to my deleting of a post describing another user as an ignorant masochist with his eyes closed (not in so many words, but all words were used (as I said, I kept the post)), I stand over the decision and the warning. Mostly because the decision and warning were correct. The original comments were made in public, hence so was the rebuke. We're all responsible for our own words and their effect. I will not, under any circumstances, tolerate insults tossed at another poster. Criticism is one thing - insults are a completely different beast. If it had been dealt with strictly by PM, the insulted party would not have been able to see that a moderator had dealt with it (the post had not been there long enough to be reported by anyone btw - it was my decision alone). If it had been a direct insult (it wasn't), a banning would have been the result. That's all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So you are saying that public rebuking should be done by PM....

...kinda like the one you just posted?

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

btw, if you do everything by PM, people wouldnt realise that the forum is tightly run and that there are strict(ish) rules to be adhered to.

The mods here are some of the best we have on Boards... can fault them imho. God knows if it were me this place would be a crator-site :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm an ignorant masochist posting off-topic...Mods please please give me a tongue lashing and a good sound telling-off. In public! G'wan. will yer.....

.....awww..:( :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by DeVore
    So you are saying that public rebuking should be done by PM....
    Paddy20 is reminding me of Usenet:

"Take it to email"

I don't want to be reminded of Usenet.

IMO, the moderation on this board is more than acceptable.

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by MadsL
    Mods please please give me a tongue lashing and a good sound telling-off. In public! G'wan. will yer.....

Our first Groupie!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

First pervy dontcha mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dustaz & sceptre,

By starting this thread I was not venting personal frustration at having been rebuked etc.etc in public.

I was looking at the broader picture. As this forum is scrutinised by a lot of the media and others in Government. Why wash our dirty linen in public ? if on occasion a PM could privately resolve the issue!.

Personally, I have been involved in some very public brickbats with Moderators in the past, where I believe everyone was at fault and a PM would have been much more appropriate and I am not referring the current moderators.

It is the overall picture of this important forum that is my main concern. It has earned the respect of a very wide audience and I believe that PMs should be made more use of in the interest of this forums public image.

I hope this helps explain my motives in starting this thread!.

Thats all.

Paddy20.

Advertisement