Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best course to choose for teaching?

Options
  • 06-05-2003 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows what my best bet would be if I wanted to go into teaching. Would be interested in teaching English or Business at secondry level.

So far, it seems that it's either going to be

(A) An arts degree - Havent decieded where

(B) Mater Dei Inst. of Education - Sounds good as focuses on teaching sec. levl, but places too much emphasis on religion
    (course is called religion, education and english)

Anyone know which is the best way, or is there anywhere else that would be better?

Cheers
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Hey, i'm goin to the mater dei too!!!!!

points bumped up from 255 to 345!! still, sounds good for the old teaching, what course you doin there (e.g music irish english religion?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

I might be heading there! Either history or english. History preferably. BTW: Leaving Cert Religion is starting this September! So, it won't be a complete waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by TheWolf
    Wondering if anyone knows what my best bet would be if I wanted to go into teaching. Would be interested in teaching English or Business at secondry level...Cheers James

Can't quite comment on Mater Dei, as I don't know anything about it.

However, as a teacher, I can speak about the ways which I know about.

You mention that you would like to teach English or Business. Most teachers in my school who teach English would have taken an Arts degree (B.A.) and then followed this with a H. Dip to allow them to teach. For Business, they tend to be Commerce graduates (B.Comm) with a H.Dip. There are courses around the country which train people specifically for teaching, and students on those courses don't do a H.Dip as teaching practice is included as part of the course (P.E. at U.L. for example).

As a guide to the subjects which you can teach, generally the subjects you take in 1st year Uni, you can teach to Junior Cert, and those you get your degree in are the subjects you are qualified to teach to Leaving certificate. So, if you did a B.A. with English, Maths and Geography (say) as your first year subjects, then you can teach them to J.C. If you major in English and Geography for your degree, then you can teach those subjects to L.C. Higher level. My background is in science (B.Sc). My first year subjects were physics, maths, chemistry and computer science, so I can teach maths and Science to Junior Cert, while being able to take Maths and Physics to Hons Leaving cert.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Advertisement