Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Delay Tactics or real issues?

Options
  • 06-05-2003 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

So, my usual daily contact with our good friends in Eircom has today introduced a new issue to explain why I'm not yet connected...

Although the exchange is upgraded (Dun Laoghaire), there's a problem with it and engineers are investigating it this week, BUT I will be online this week according to the web chat person.

Anyway, is anyone on this exchange already active? Is this a delay tactic? I haven't received the kit yet so I must admit to being kinda confused. I was also told by web-chat-dude that all previous information I was given by his colleagues, maybe even him/her, was incorrect - he/she apologised profusely - yeah, right.

I was going to cancel today but they've got till Friday before I do (i.e., I'm lazy).

Anyone getting similar issues? Anyone on this exchange or will I be enjoying uncontended access for a spell (if I ever get online) ?

I've saved all of my online transcripts (via) mail and will be furnishing them, unedited, to ComReg at the end of the week if satisfaction isn't winging its way to me over 512K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I just finished working for them. Believe me, real issues come up all the time and the poor guy on the phone or chat has been given as little information as is humanly possible. The NOC, as they are known, are usually too busy frantically fixing things to write a detailed explanation of everything that's wrong, worded in such a way that the average user would understand what they're talking about.

Just remember to be as polite as possible to the goon you speak to at Eircom Net. They're telling you everything they know about the situation and are doing their best to help you. €10/hour isn't enough to listen to a tirade from an angry customer who's complaining about some decision by some executive who you've never even met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Ill admit when I use the name eircon its not directed at your average eircom worker most of our local engineers are really nice guys. The problem lies with management who for all intense and purpose are locked away in their ivory towers massaging the profits for their shareholders or more likely keeping the shareholders sweet so that they don’t complain to much when the aforementioned management gives themselves big fat bonus cheques for doing such a !!GREAT!! Job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kevinof

I am also on the DL exchange and have been told I will be connected on the 19th. Nobody mentioned anything about exchange problems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

An eircoms a nice consumer friendly company that will bend over backwards to help you.

I think im in some kind of paralell universe.

First of all lets take their I-STREAM chat thingy, if you talk to them all they say to you is if your lines failed its failed, which mine did not on the 11th of April but did 5 days later, ive explained this countless times to the OH so nice Drone on i-chat ive even gone as far to say look my line passed on the 11th doesnt now.

What do i get back, hang on and ill check your line, the attention span of an amoeba ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, then you ask them something that requires a modicum of intelligence to answer, what happens, user disconnected due to network difficulties, translation into english, I dont want to talk to anymore so im going to press the disconnect button.

The drones and dronettes on the phone are no different, ive asked countless times could I have a new live test done on my line by an engineer, we cant do that your lines failed, I say how do you know it cant carry DSL, im prepared to waste my own money to satisfy myself that it cant, no we dont want to waste your money, PUleeaassseee.

I ask do you keep records of all my phone calls e-mails ETC, every person I talk to, no we do not keep records, very efficient so I go through the whole rigmaroll again useless

Suffice to say until I started dealing with eircom I didnt realise the sheer imcompetence and stupidity and the insufferable attitude of the workers there

Compare that with NETSOURCE, they were a dream to deal with, very helpful, knew there stuff and even interact with all of us here which is more than the rat does

So no Eircom are not nice, dont give 2 flying ****s about joe public, but still expect us to shell out for nothing

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

shinzon,

Once again you illustrate why I suggest you send a registered concise polite letter to the Managing Director and keep a copy for yourself.

Much more effective, and the media love to see written evidence of your efforts to correct an injustice, especially if you have received a written reply or at least an acknowledgment from the M.D. or someone else in authority within the service organisation that is not capable of providing the service they were *licensed to provide!.

The Government could and should step in and resolve this problem on behalf of the citizens of Ireland ! but this being dear old Ireland, say no more? eh.

I know that I am rapidly losing faith Bertie ! maybe he has lost faith in his own capabilities and powers. He is looking exhausted these days. But who or what is the alternative?..

God help us all!.

Paddy20.

N.B. Maybe we should start a nationwide telephone/or computer based - Eircom Groanline - considering the amount of space and publicity they are receiving here, it could prove very popular and something not to be ignored by anyone!.

;););););)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Originally posted by kevinof
    I am also on the DL exchange and have been told I will be connected on the 19th. Nobody mentioned anything about exchange problems though.

Okay, according to my modem/router (Netgear DG824M), thunderbirds are go. The modem light is green and on. Haven't received the kit. Now, I've got my username/password but I still don't seem to get getting an IP address from the network.

VC stuff is 8/35
    Connection type is LLC
    Service name is blank

Anything else I should be aware of? The modem has detected the uplink/downlink speeds.

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    Okay, according to my modem/router (Netgear DG824M), thunderbirds are go. The modem light is green and on. Haven't received the kit. Now, I've got my username/password but I still don't seem to get getting an IP address from the network.

VC stuff is 8/35
    Connection type is LLC
    Service name is blank

Anything else I should be aware of? The modem has detected the uplink/downlink speeds.

I'm intrigued at this development but I'm wondering if the connection is actually working. Are they toying with me now because I've called every day over the last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'service name blank'.

When I set up my modem, I clicked a button 'list services' and selected the only one offered.

That worked for me.

Is there a different 'service name'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

My sevice name is set to istream but I don't think it matters

Menu 4 - Internet Access Setup

ISP's Name= MyISP
    Encapsulation= PPPoE
    Multiplexing= LLC-based
    VPI #= 8
    VCI #= 35
    Service Name= istream
    My Login= ???????@eircom.net
    My Password= ********
    Single User Account= Yes
    IP Address Assignment= Dynamic
    IP Address= N/A
    ENET ENCAP Gateway= N/A

Thats the settings I'm using maybe you can glean some usefull info. Hope you get sorted soon anyway.
    I'm on the Rochestown exchange next one up from DL haven't had any problems at all.
    Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Olivr2b

Are issues in Dun Laoghaire fixed?

My line (Summerhill exchange) was supposed to be on (Got a call from Eircom sales on Wed: " Yes your line is now activated!... It's done on our record!...")...LOL

I'm not yet connected and engineers are investigating problems to Summerhill.
    Anyone on this exchange already active?

15 working days from the order are over!

So yes Eircom Delay Tactics or real issues?

• Advertisement

Yes, whoopee! I'm on - my God I can't believe it....

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 24ms

T'is mad fast!!!! Very happy indeedaroony! I was told that the technicians were there yesterday to do "jumpering", whatever the heck that is!

Advertisement