Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCMCIA question

• 06-05-2003 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Just got meself a laptop on ebay for messing about with.

I also got a xircom cardbus ethernet 10/100+56k modem with it so I could hook it into my home LAN hub, but I'm getting some rubbish transfer speeds, i.e. when I transfer a 40Mb file from any of my other PC's over the LAN it takes over 30-40mins !!!

The thing is a PII 266mmx with 96Mb RAM, plenty of HD space and running WinMe (yeah, I know !) I'm going to zap it tomorrow and install 98 or Win2k, but might there be anything straight off that may be the cause of such bad transfers, any pointers ?
    There are no conflicts and device 'mangler' looks fine.
    When I plugged the Xircom card in, WinMe automatically loaded drivers etc.
    I know theres not a lot to go on there, but someone may have had this issue before.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

but might there be anything straight off that may be the cause of such bad transfers, any pointers ?

Crap drivers, damaged hardware, IRQ conflicts, io conflicts, duff network switches, duff cat 5, virii.

The list goes on, ostensibly in that order though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Hubs and switches work differently.
    A hub will connect up PCs providing a ratio of the bandwidth for each PC. ie. if you have three systems working simultaneously on the LAN you'll get speeds of about 33Mbs each.
    A switch will give full bandwidth to each PC.
    (I could possibly have them mixed up, I'm a bit rusty)

It's a possibilty.

Advertisement