Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware the Self-Install Package!

Options
  • 07-05-2003 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a word of warning re the self-install:

My line was 'switched on' last Friday (8 days late). So, later that day, I plugged in the USB Zyxel modem and fitted the splitters etc., as per the instruction booklet. Then I installed the CD software - everything was going fine, I thought. So, after all this, I clicked the connection shortcut that had been placed on my desktop.

I got 'Connecting'.
    Then 'Registering computer on network'.
    Then Blue Screen.

Bad start, I thought. So, I rebooted my machine but Windows (I'm using Win 2000 Pro, SP3) would not restart. It hung at the start of the white-on-black progress bar, complaining that the

WINNT\system32\config\system

file was corrupt or words to that effect.

So, I had to resort to the 4 boot disks and the emergency repair disk (none of which I had - my fault - I had to make them from another Win 2000 box).

So, after I finally (many hours later) got Windows running again, it would blue screen occasionally when I connected and always when I disconnected.

Anyway, I uninstalled everything Eircom gave me and downloaded the latest Zyxel drivers from:

ftp://ftp.europe.zyxel.com/p630-11/driver/p630-11_1.7.1.1_Windows98SE_WindowsME_Windows2000_WindowsXP__Standard.zip

And it's worked since....

So, it might be an idea to make sure your emergency repair disks and boot disks are ready before you install. Or just throw away the CDs Eircom sends you and use the drivers at the above link instead... Everything you need is in that zip file.

I must say, though, that I am getting a fairly constant 55-64 kB/sec... hope that doesn't all change...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

Thats not the first time I've heard of an Eircom CD fecking up a PC :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

My virus scanner found a virus on the cd when I stuck it in!

I use this for the PPPOE connection - works very well and it's integrated into windows (you use dialup networking to make your connections):

http://www.raspppoe.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Running xp same modem me thinx and got it from netsource I had no problems with the self install.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

u dont really need the eircom CD, iv heard more bad than good things about it. As said above just download a 3 rd party PPPoE protocol, the one on XP shud work, but i cudnt get mine to work with my modem :S

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭narnar2000

Does Netsource deal only with businesses? Their ADSL package looks considerably better than Eircom's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by narnar2000
    Does Netsource deal only with businesses? Their ADSL package looks considerably better than Eircom's...
    You have to get a domain name off them for around €12 a month (possible a .ie but I think this has yet to be confirmed) and then you can get dsl with no download cap from them.

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

One small word of advice. Get rid of that Zyxel Modem Internal / External. I had the misfortune of having to pay for 2 of them (work / home ) @ £175 a time. It is very costly and will cost you dearly with all its mishaps. I know im not supposed to say this on here but its a piece of ****! Anything else will suit ok :)

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

The CD of death I call them, any of those CD which you get in a supermarket or from an ISP contain all sorts of wierd customizations you never know what they are installing. I have had my PC fecked a couple of times from such things now I always setup up connection manually.
    They make good coasters:)
    Red

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Hmmm, anyone have any problems with the IOL self install package?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by exiztone
    Hmmm, anyone have any problems with the IOL self install package?

Didn't think it was available yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

The information I have is that their offering will be available towards the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Originally posted by narnar2000
    Hi all,

Just a word of warning re the self-install:

Just wondering, did you try to boot the machine using "Last known Good Configuration" before using the emergency repair disks?

This has worked for me on a few occasions when Win2k failed to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I ordered my self install package on the 11th without a modem, ive since managed to get my self connected with help from the lads/ladies here and its been working fine.
    Im at work at the moment and my girlfriend just rang me and said the package from eircom just arrived. Now im very happy with my connection speeds and pings and have not had a bit of trouble or down time since i got connected?
    Apart from the splitter is there anything in that box that i really need? im also guessing that if i dont use the cd that i dont actually enter a 12 month contract? (i didnt sign anything)
    So it could be a nice get out of jail free card if things got messy?
    Apart from the long wait for the box, i actually very happy with eircoms radsl product........... I expect ill be banned for saying that!
    Sean

Paul007:

Yeah, I tried every option on that menu... the whole process nearly broke my heart! It's working very well now, though... touch wood - maybe not the best phrase to use ;)

If I had only known about the Netsource offering I wouldn't have gone near Eircom. rabbitinlights mentioned that there might be a way out of the 12-month contract... I'm not using the Eircom software either (not through choice - it screwed my machine)... wonder if I could wangle my way out of it?

As far as my legal Knowledge goes, a contract has to be either signed on paper by a pen or a check box has to be ticked on a website etc? So i doubt they couyld hold you for any length of time?

Ok, just got home from work and opened the package:
    3 splitters:
    2 x single filters 1 x Dual filter

And thats it.
    No CD or anything?
    Very odd.
    Any ideas?

rabbitinlights:
    Me confused... I thought you already were connected?
    ive since managed to get my self connected with help from the lads/ladies here and its been working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

narnar, a number of us are connected already without getting anything from eircom. Nothing in the self-install pack is actually necessary to get up & running. All the info you need is available here on boards.ie :)

BendiBus, I don't mean to be a lazy git, but could you point me to a thread or two re:
    All the info you need is available here on boards.ie

Does Eircom not have to 'upgrade' your line etc? Will they do this without you buying a DSL package from them?

Yup, I managed to connect myself with help from posts here on boards.
    I ordered the starter package from eircom on the 11th. I bought a Modem/router/switch myself and plugged everything in,
    About the 20th i noticed the green ADSL light on my modem stay on (it was flashing before) so that ment eircom had turned my line on. A normal joe soap would have waited till "The package" arrived (Today 9th). but with the settings i got off boards,it helped me to configure my modem and bingo i was connected?
    But the weird thing is that the package only had spliters in it?
    No Cd, nothing? Wierd?
    anyone else get this package?
    Sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

Hum, I received my Splitter in the post yesterday (1 splitter and 2 filters) no CD or information, now the thing is that I cancelled my eircom adsl self-install on the 28th of April and ordered with Netsource, because the the package with the splitter had no information with it I thought I will from Netsource.

Cheers
    Will

did it come in a slighly smaller than A4 size brown envelope?
    The splitters were in another bag saying eircoms adsl splitters or something to that effect?
    Was that what you recieved?
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

How do you connect without a splitter? Does the asdl modem take a normal phone line? Also does it then use up your phone line, ie. you cannot make calls on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by sisob
    How do you connect without a splitter? Does the asdl modem take a normal phone line? Also does it then use up your phone line, ie. you cannot make calls on it.

Disconnect all your regular phones from the line and just plug straight into the DSL and you should be able to connect.

As for the Eircom USB modem tell them its not compatable with your PC and as such its not 'Fit for purpose' and that you'd like to return it for a refund/credit. Then go out and buy a 'real' ethernet modem for the same price or less. You may also need to pick up a network card if you don't allready have one.

Advertisement