Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Proposal Ideas

• 07-05-2003 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm going to propose to my Girl Friend in 4 months time... is not going to be such a surprise because we have been living together almost 4 years....

Any way... I have 2 ideas...

One is to propose in Euro Disney... Paris... staying in a hotel inside the Park. I think it could be quite sweet....

And the other one is to take care to a Chateau in France...
    http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/accom/1738.html

This is the place.... looks great, and could be really romantic.

Any ideas???
    Thanks... for any crazy suggestion

;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

please don't do disney... it's such bad taste....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Given those as your two choices, I'd go with the château

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Chateau in France...

speaking from a woman's point of view....
    you really cannot top a romantic dinner in a french chateau followed by a marriage proposal - be sure to order some champagne from the waiter in advance, telling him you want it for after the dinner

One is to propose in Euro Disney... Paris... staying in a hotel inside the Park. I think it could be quite sweet....

no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

oh god, no don't propose in euro disney, you have the whole of france at your disposal.

For me .. it would have to be, a romatic dinner in a fine restaurant, champagne on ice for the moment afterwards... then pop the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

If I read this I almost hope I never get a proposal :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

When I used to work in hotels(chef), A lot of blokes used to send the ring into the kitchen. When it was dessert time, the ring would appear, sitting in something......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

If it was me I'd do it in Disney, you can actually arrange to have the park to yourself (you have to get up at about 6, but the feeling of walking through Disney on your own is quite surreal, they do a photo package where a pgotographer follows you round taking reportage & posed shots it's really amazing (mate of mine did it in america) you have to pay for this service of course...

But that's just me... speaking as someone who's getting married this month, it doesn't matter where you propose, just do it when you feel comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 angeljulie

Go for Eurodisney, you romantic thing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Let me see if I was a girl:

Romantic Chateau in a much vaunted foreign land

or

Goofy.

Daddy or chips?

hmm.... difficult one.

</sarcasm>*

*in case you missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hackfish

What about New Ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

outside a grave yard (worked for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Well you've been living in sin for the last 4 years so what does it matter? Only joking.

Chateau would be then one i'd choose if I was asking a bird to put up with a life time of my farting in bed.

i always thought about marriage ...as something you need a long think about it.
    and therefore would find a spot with a thousand steps upwards to be sure you want to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

oh I forgot to mention..
    dunno what you've decided to do about a ring.
    BUT

Don't suprise her with one......
    I'm sure there will be some wimmen here who will disagree with this but overall the majority would not like to be surprised with an engagement ring, we want to be surprised with the proposal but we want to pick our own ring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by commuterised
    Don't suprise her with one......
    I'm sure there will be some wimmen here who will disagree with this but overall the majority would not like to be surprised with an engagement ring, we want to be surprised with the proposal but we want to pick our own ring!
    Ahh, but the clever man will know exactly what his missus-to-be will like as an engagement ring. I did this by walking past a jewellers, stopping and pretending to casually browse the engagement rings. She will also start browsing the rings, carefully observe her as her eyes are drawn to the type of ring that she prefers, viola! Make a mental note on a piece of paper, cos you *will* not remember what type she likes. Now you have a very good idea of what style of ring she prefers, the hard part if you do decide to surprise her with a ring is getting one to fit her finger (esp. if she doesn't wear rings that you can "borrow" to measure against) ...

viking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i'd also go with the chateau idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Having been in Euro Disney, I wouldn't even consider it unless your GF has a wonderful sense of humour or a fetish for Disney characters!

A Chateau is definitely the biz!

Paris itself has a number of lovely places - small park behind Notre Dame (especially in spring), Place du Tetre in Montmarte (find a small quaint Parisian restaurant), on one of the Bateau Mouches on the Seine (make sure its one with a classy restaurant, not 100's of gawking, picture-taking tourists)
    etc, etc.....

Mike

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

You could always save yourself some money and just send her a text message.
    Now that would be the height of romance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd go for the Chateau, or a quite bridge or hilltop at sunset.
    Originally posted by viking
    viola!
    Perhaps you mean voila!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Drunk, kneeling in puke in the alley outside a dive-bar somewhere in rural Ireland.

(hic) whill youuu marrry me gorgeoussshh?

(falls over and whacks head on pointy rock)
    (blood pumps everywhere)

Can't fail. No way. No how.

Go for it.

• Advertisement

Yes. Great ideas... ok... may be I will go to the Chateau.

The only problem is ... any excuse to go to a Chateau??? She will be really suspicious....

Anyway thanks so much for the full feedback.

May be I will dress like Winnie Pooh in the Chateau to mix the 2 ideas..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by hackfish
    The only problem is ... any excuse to go to a Chateau??? She will be really suspicious....
    Just say you got a good deal and you think it's looked good on the brochure. Let you jaw drop as you pull up the driveway and say "wow, I didn't think it was this good".

What if you stay somewhere else as well to throw her off the scent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Nah, tell her right now that a family member got a great deal on it.
    Tell her in two months that you've been offered it for feck all- if she'd like to go......... :ninja: ;)

I should have been a criminal- I hear it pays well.

just a question that would keep me busy all the time.. but do you think she wants to get married?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The only problem is ... any excuse to go to a Chateau???

yup
    we're in France darling, one cannot go to France without staying in a Chateau - lets go the whole hog baby!
    after all
    when in Rome......
    it would work on me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    If it was me I'd do it in Disney, you can actually arrange to have the park to yourself (you have to get up at about 6, but the feeling of walking through Disney on your own is quite surreal, they do a photo package where a pgotographer follows you round taking reportage & posed shots it's really amazing (mate of mine did it in america) you have to pay for this service of course...B]

Christ, that sounds incredibly tacky/cheesy.

Please, original poster, don't go for this idea. Please! :)
    Unless the GF is a big Disney fan she'll probably hate it.

I just wonder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Originally posted by koneko
    Christ, that sounds incredibly tacky/cheesy.

I know. I can't help it, I love Tack !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by hackfish
    Marriage Proposal Ideas?

heres an idea, don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

lol!

Hey how about if you do decide to do this - try my hidden technique.

Two things you can do - find a really cool place in the countryside and get a picnick of food, a food hamper and bury it somewhere it won't be noticed, under a nice tree or something. Then invite your loved one to the spot for a spot of lunch. "Where's the lunch" she says? Well, hang on its [gets out a shovel] under this earth here...

Contained within the hamper is food and a ring etc etc

Or you could place the ring in a bottle, tie the bottle to a piece of fishing line (bottle must be inside a couple of socks for safety) dump the bottle in a river somewhere out of the way and attatch the line to something inconspicuous. Then ask if your loved one wants to go fishing and take her to the line "oh my goodness whats this - a fishing line [insert mock struggle with a fish] I think I've caught a fish..." and pull out the bottle with ring inside. etc

Good luck whatever you do!

Advertisement