Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource interleaving no better than others

Options
  • 07-05-2003 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9339
    Interleaving
    Hi all

Louise McKeown, from Netsource here. The reason I am posting this afternoon is in relation to Interleaving. You will recall I made a post here two weeks ago stating interleaving was turned off on our RADSL product (SOHO), this information was posted by me after I received verbal and written confirmation from Eircom that this was the case. However on Thursday last it came to light that Eircom had mis-informed us, and that interleaving was in fact not turned off completely, but very much turned down (from 50ms to 19ms). This is because the reach and therefore the availability is greater when left on marginally.

In respect of the board rules, I do not want to go down the route of commercial information, however I do want to assure everyone the reason for making this posting is to keep you informed and to apologise for the incorrect information we passed along.

I understand a number of you ordered SOHO services from Netsource on the basis that Interleaving was turned off, so should you have any issues, questions please e-mail me directly (louise@netsource.ie).

Regards
    Louise McKeown

Now this annoys me.

One of my primary reasons for ordering this service was the lower ping times you get with interleaving turned off. This will be no better with Netsource versus Eircoms or Esats similar eircom wholesale bitstream offerings. I should have been more suspicious.

The pings, i would suggets may in fact be worse, as all the download monkeys will be on this service.

Seeing as how the first reason for purchase, appears to be not happening, I may need to take advantage of my second reason for choosing netsource - the two month rolling contract.

But, what about the info in the post from Netsource.

It would appear that someone in Eircom is willing and able and senior enough to both say they'll turn off interleaving, and put it in writing to one of their own commercial customers.

Why doesn't Netsource persue this? And provide us with the service promised?

Or, and I'm only being careful here, are Netsource incompetent, not understanding what was stated in the letter, and not checking the details?

Which is it Netsource?

Incompetency?

Poor customer service?

Or pure marketing spin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

If you look further down that post from louise youll see thatinterleaving is not fully on and if you read some of the pings posted in and around here and ioffl youll see that pings are around the 35MS mark perfectly acceptable

So its not incompetence from netsource, its eircoms insistance on having interleaving turned on on all there RADSL and reseller products

Blame eircom not netsource

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Netsource have a statement on paper from eircom stating the details of the service. This turned out not to be true. Or Netsource read it wrongly.

Fast mode has 5ms ping to first hop.

Ah, but i should just be fobbed off like an irish person being fobbed off by an irish company, by a service that's fobbing fufficient.

Money talks and I'll make the choice with my money. I have not at this point cancelled the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ah would ya stop, give them a break. Sure its not like your in a 12 month contract or anything. If you can't accept 35ms as a ping to jolt, no problem. Its only 8 weeks and then you can go off to esat and enjoy your 35ms and your cap ... hmm

Yes, I should just go away, not say anything, not make a fuss, not let my capitalist consumer wishes be heard.

Yes, I should just go nowhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9339

Now this annoys me.

So what response did you get from Louise. I assume that you did contact Loiuse. She left her details exactly for that purpose.........

"I understand a number of you ordered SOHO services from Netsource on the basis that Interleaving was turned off, so should you have any issues, questions please e-mail me directly (louise@netsource.ie)"

Or are you just whining here expecting someone else to take up the issue for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Shut it flav0rflav, like it or not its not the fault of Netsource and they are still giving you a superior package to Eircom and Esat.. if you dont like it then do as was suggested.. cancel it and go with Esat with lower pings but a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

It allows a greater range for the product, so more people can get broadband. Don't be so selfish. The additional ping times ontop of normal traffic will be 5-20ms. That's nothing.

This research shows the effect of interleaving, noise and reach for adsl. http://www.issls-council.org/proc00/papers/8_1.pdf

Interleaving is used to improve burst noise immunity. Reach is determined by average signal margin. Interleaving does not improve reach. And if you look at the research, would appear to have very little effect on improving TCP throughput.

Are we having a discussion about the pros/cons of interleaving? We should move to another thread if so.

Telling someone to shut up, a) bumps the thread and garners more attention, and b) usually prompts a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What part of this RADSL rollout do people not get:confused::confused::confused:

Netsource SOHO = eircom Radsl technology
    eircom i-starter = eircom Radsl technology
    Esat IOL Broadband = eircom Radsl technology (largely)

Therefore comparing interleaving on different providers is as useful as saying Spar's mars bars are better than Centra's

[Madsl is not associated with, speaks on behalf of or works for either Centra or Spar]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I was told by a REP of Netsource today that they have not been able to enable anyone outside of dublin, can anyone confirm or deny that they have been connected and or have an install date for Netsource ADSL?

This is flipping ridiculous and typical. While we all bitched and moaned about Esat's offering at least they are telling us it wont be avilable until end of May, start of June. Netsource by the sounds of it lied about this.

Regards a very annoyed punter,

Paul

• Advertisement
Advertisement