Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial product retractions (re netsource)

Options
  • 07-05-2003 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm somewhat annoyed with this previous post from Netsource:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93393

retracting their previous exclamated statement about interleaving being turned off:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=860248#post860248

I should have been suspicious, as they are reselling the same bitstream service from eircom, as eircom itself, and esat.

But, what is/should be the policy of the moderators here wrt this type of activity.

May a commercial service provider post claims here about a service, without official service detail backing ie. commercial service offering details on paper or on official website?

May someone post something here, without it being on an offical site.

Or is any posting here, like those from Netsource, taken as official with full commercial consequences?

What about retractions of commercial statements?

I missed this one. Should they be stickyed? For how long?

The current system may be open to marketing spin abuse.

Or do I just need to say, "Don't believe the Hype".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Smidders

I think this is a bit unfair flav0rflav - NetSource have been as upfront as possible about this issue. They were mislead by Eircom initially but as soon as they were corrected on the issue, they passed the information on.

If only certain other telco providers took even a small leaf out of their book !!!

Smidders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

hes also posted about this in the broadband forum which ive already replied to

Didnt need to post it twice flav

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I seperated the situation into two issues.

Commercial statements and consequences thereof, which I would suggets fits here.

And discussion of a service and service provider, which is, as you say, in the broadband forum.

Can we get back on topic? ie. commercial statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Netsource have generally only made statements in response to speculation or discussion.

They have not started threads where they eulogised themselves or made silly promises in order to drum up sales, Beam and IBB come to mind there.

They have attempted to refine product and pricing and to respond rapidly to feedback in here, UTV come to mind there.

There is a fine line between appropriate interaction with ongoing discussions (on the one hand) and the heinous crime of pimping (on the other).

Netsource are not guilty of the latter crime unlike many Broadband providers in Dublin, that list of shame includes IBB Irishwisp and ESAT for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Netsource have played the game pretty fairly imho, they've been as upfront about their service as they can - and they've avoided pimpage (which is a big no no)

I'm partly making this statement on the basis of thhis statement from Louise:
    I understand a number of you ordered SOHO services from Netsource on the basis that Interleaving was turned off, so should you have any issues, questions please e-mail me directly (louise@netsource.ie)
    Sounds like they're willing to make an effort for those who ordered it on the basis of intervleaving being turned off. Obviously they can't magically turn interleaving off but they've played the game fairly on the whole, even starting a new thread to highlight the issue.

Now, on to the legal issues (yummy):
    The statement wasn't an advert and doesn't form part of a contract (or indeed, "the contract"). Hence the liability falls a little on the subscriber or potential subscriber to check when ordering that the service is what they expect. Given that they've taken steps to highlight the difference between what they originally said they were going to be selling and what they were actually selling, plus Louise making herself available to deal with anyone who ordered on the basis of the original statement, they're again playing a fair game. The original statement appears to have been made in good faith (most people would take written confirmation from Eircom as just that) There's little more they can do.

(the product sticky needs to be updated btw - I've received the info from Muck & I'll be getting to it before the weekend (projects due all this week))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Muck's bang on.

I've found netsource great to deal with,
    very proffesional, and the interleaving issue was
    out of their control.

Hopefully they will follow up with eircom and comreg
    and get interleaving off completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

My opinion is that its not for anyone else to pass judgement on what is or is not appropriate, thats for Mods and admins to do.. they are the people that monitor the boards and its not for anyone else to impose there opinions on others about what is or is not appropriate. If you have a complaint about any companies claims, then complain to them!(the company concerned)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Muck and sceptre comments much appreciated.

BoneCollector, I was hoping for opinion from mods and community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It is also high time that Netsource bought some banners from Boards. UTV did the same at around this stage in their development :D

It costs feck all (they got most of their RADSL sales through here already) and it would block out ESAT when they are finally ready to launch their revised IOL Broadband RADSL into the same market segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Comments from the community are always welcome - particularly on the pimpage question (when the hard line against pimpage was taken it was partly in response to members bringing it up)

(with the usual provisos on appropriate placement and all the stuff mentioned in the rules of course)

In other words, carry on.

Agree with Muck wrt the banners. Fom what I've heard they're pretty cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement