Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widescreen T.V. fo Dummies

• 07-05-2003 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

I want to buy widescreen t.v. but know next to nothing about what features etc I should look out for. It will be used for viewing sky digital and dvds - can anyone help?
    Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

im kinda in the same situation myself

im **about** (finance permitting!!!:D )to buy a WS telly too
    i will be looking for 2 scart sockets at the back, 1 for dvd, 1 for sky
    as i already have a surround sound system, i wont be placing too much weight on the sound from the telly

i suppose the best thing to do is go to your dealer and ask him to show you a dvd being played on it and sky on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

m8's of mine had problems with hooking sky up via scart to their tv....as im sure this all depends on the box you have you should be ok,but check it out anyway.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I would look for more that 2 scart sockets , mine has 4 ... two isnt enough if you also have a games console or a VHS video recorder etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I recommend getting a 100Hz one, especially if your planning on getting sky digital, much better picture quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Try and ensure that as well as having enough scart sockets that there are a few that accept RGB. My widescreen has two scart sockets but only one of them is RGB.

I have a 32" Panasonic Quintrix 100Hz Flat Screen TV. 4 Scarts. But scart 3 has connection at the front that does RGB and s-video and headphone jack. and the normal scart connection at back. Look it up, very good T.V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just a small note on the 100hz issue, i sell tv's and if u actually read any of the (honest) manufacturers info, it catagorically states that 100hz DOES NOT improve picture quality. All it does is double the no of times u seethe picture, hence reducing flicker. But for people who have been happily watching 50hz for years without noticing flicker (ie everyone) i dont see the need. Again the whole 100hz debate is down to whoever brought it out first, convincing the public that because 100 is a bigger number than 50, therefore it is better when in actual fact the reason 100hz tvs give a better picture (not always true) is because they are more expensive the manufacturers can afford to put better technology into making the picture look good, hence a 100hz tv will look better than a 50hz. None of the currently available formats are designed to be viewed at 100hz ( sky, ntl digital and DVD included)., All things being equal and the same technology being used to make the 100hz tv and the 50hz then dvd etc will look better on the 50hz. This can often be seen if u compare a manufacturers 50 hz model to their most basic 100hz model.

When I got the Panasonic TV there were two of them in the shop, one was 100Hz the other 50Hz. Looking at the both of them there was a difference. The flickering was the obvious difference. Looking at channels on sky digital, brilliant picture but the "red button was flickering the menus were flickering.

There was a improvement in how the picture looked, thats why I bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All you need is 2 Scart and a front AV ,console goes in there use S Video for DVDs with the DVD sound going from DVD player to AMP tru a optical cable.

100hz is a load of crap for 2 reasons.
    1. You cant get a 100hz signal anywhere in ireland or UK.

SKy box is a box that converts the digital signal into analogue at 50hz no more , a DVD player does the exact same thing so now and next 14 years or so a 100hz TV will give you bugger all of a better image its only as good as the signal its getting which is 50hz analogue.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

100hz TV will give you bugger all of a better image its only as good as the signal its getting which is 50hz analogue.

I tend to disagree, the lack of flicker from 100Hz tv's is such an improvement it's reason alone to choose them over 50Hz models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

What's the difference between RBG and whatever other kind there is as regards SCART? Which would your average Video/DVD/Sky Digibox use?

Also, I remember reading something about televisions and/or computer monitors having to be displayed with their viewable screen size rather than the viewable + the bit behind the case. Has that come into effect yet? I mean is a 32" tv actually 32" viewable? (Maybe it is just monitors at the mo).

Get two TVs same make and everything except one is 100Hz and the other a 50Hz version. If you cant see the improvement in the picture, your blind.

The signal coming in doesnt have to 100Hz to make a difference to the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

so if theres a picture improvement purely because its 100hz y do manfacturers state that it in no way improves picture quality but all it does is reduce flicker. surely if it improved the picture they would say that. all 100hz does is show u the picture twice as many times as the 50hz so how could it possibley improve the picture quality. its the same picture just double the amount of times.

As far as the screen size goes, the manufacturers do tend to throw u a bit. Generally they discribe a 32" tv as a 32" tv but with a viewable area of 76cm which is about 30-31" i think but people tend to assume 76cm =32"

Advertisement