Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Gamespy Arcade Halo

Options
  • 07-05-2003 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Has anyone used this service in Ireland?
    AFAIK it should work if you can find other players suffciently near you that ping time isn't too high, but I'm presuming the best chance is to find other Irish players rather than the UK. Has anyone managed this over DSL?

For that matter, anyone managed to use XBox Live from Ireland? I can see posts from people who considered it earlier this year - anyone successful/given up in disgust?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I've been told you can't use XBox Live either over Eircom or NTL DSL, anyone know different? Anyone got XBox Live working on ANY service in the Republic? SO want to try out Mech Assault online................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

BTW Dave, congrats on the newborn!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dave Roe

The Gamespy Halo thing isn't done over Xbox live - you connect to their service with a PC and it "tunnels" the connection to your Xbox - you need a router to use it. It fools the Xbox to thinking it's connected to the other boxes over a local network - as in the system link play - so it's limited to the max four boxes/16 players. ALso, unless you have a really monsterous connection to the internet you'll only be able to play up to four players realistically.

That's still good enough for me, frankly, but what I have seen posted on their site (gamespy.com) is that your ping time to the other players makes a very large difference to how it plays - Halo was never meant to do this and expects almost no lag. I think that connecting to other boxes in the UK would have to be a much larger ping time than other players in Dublin - right?

Anyone ever tried this?
    Dave
    BTW - she's not a newborn no more - she's up and running around here. I must change that .sig.

Advertisement