Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX live in Ireland

Options
  • 07-05-2003 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Has anyone with Broadband in Ireland used XBOX live yet?
    Is it only for UK customers.
    I recently got NTL's 600k broadband server...very fast!
    Wondering if I can buy an XBOX Live Starter Pack and play online?
    Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Based on emails from XBox customer service, I understand that Live won't be officially available here until the Autumn, when it will be probably trialled first, then probably launched for everyone a few months later.

There are some shops that are selling Live kits, but they're the UK ones. Supposedly they should work here (technically), though you will probably have a greater latency than UK users. However, I have heard that when you sign up, you have to provide a UK address with your credit card details. Plus, you won't get any tech support from Microsoft if you do get past this somehow.

Of course, I could be wrong about all this :)

What you can do is use something like XBoxConnect or GameSpy Tunnel, which gives you the ability to use the Internet as if you were on a LAN, so you can play multiplayer games like Halo over the Internet, even though they're not Live enabled. This will work with dial-up (technically!), though the latency would be horrendous, and not much fun. BB should be OK for it though, and I think Dustaz uses XBC over Leap to play Halo. It's something I'm looking forward to when I get my BB - which should be soon :D

Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Discussions are ongoing for the launch/roll-out of Live in Ireland.

You can get a kit from one of the UK stores (meaning : stores like HMV who take all their stock from the UK) and it'll work here , even with a non-UK credit card, but you won't get tech support.

It sounds like you're speaking from first-hand/insider knowledge. Is it definite that you can use a UK Live kit here, or is it just something you heard - no offense meant :)

Man, if you can use the kits now, then I'm definitely not hanging on for IBB to get their Guiness mast sorted out!

Ciarán.

No offense taken :)
    I have some useful knowledge of Xbox & Xbox Live.

To give a similar example : people in Austria/Switzerland are using the service but cannot get support in Germany. It's not yet rolled out in Austria/Switzerland (but it is of course available in Germany).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

From what I understand Xbox Live will be rolled out but will be trialled first. I'll post if I hear anything more definite...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

There's a Zoom USB/Ethernet DSL modem in PC World for EUR200 (rip-off, it's on the net for 100 I know), which is rated as X-Box Live compatible if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I'm playing on Xbox Live as we speak, I joined up with Via (below par connection though http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94874) and have been playing on Live all weekend. It was easy to set up and run but the only problem was trying to fib your way through the sign up process as you need to supply an English postal code. Live is great even if I'm not running at full speed and I have yet to get one laggy game.

That sounds great! I used to live in London, so I could use my old postcode - when I eventually get BB :)

What else did the signup involve?

How do you have your XBox connected up? Do you have a ADSL router? Or do you plug it in instead of your PC?

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Originally posted by DancesWithChimp
    Has anyone with Broadband in Ireland used XBOX live yet?
    Is it only for UK customers.
    I recently got NTL's 600k broadband server...very fast!
    Wondering if I can buy an XBOX Live Starter Pack and play online?
    Anyone?

Tell you what Mike, I'll meet you for a game of Mech Assault next week when I get my Netsource DSL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

I bought the starter pack and i'm having trouble accessing xbox live. i have the eircom radsl service.

Has anyone successfully connected to Live using this service?

I have no problem using www.xbconnect.com but I can't even subscribe to the Live Account.

I have tried to reconfigure, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

/d.

• Advertisement

Try ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by ceejay
    I think Dustaz uses XBC over Leap to play Halo.

Er, i dont even have an xbox 0_o Wrong person methinks :)

Ahh, apologies, it's Dangerr.

Sorry about that.

Ciarán.

[edit]
    Plus, I think I am confused about who has Leap, I think i was thinking of DeVore. Man, all these names starting with D, they just merge together :)
    [/edit]

Surely Live will work with any connection type if you use a pc with ICS? Hell even 56k users can connect to the service this way (not thats its actually playable but technically they can)

If you're using a router with a built-in firewall, you may need to open some ports. There's a troubleshooting page over at www.xbox.com/uk (somewhere :) ) that details things you can check.

Ciarán.

Ceejay, unfortunately, I have gone through the uk support page....i even spoke to an Xbox CSR who was very helpful, but limited in the info that we could talk about. Ports are open. Firewall is disabled.....running out of ideas :0

Sloth....i will retry ICS tonight

/d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Yup I've been using X-Box Connect over I-Stream solo with Halo. Thinking about picking up an official x-box live kit soon, just curious about the headset!

The headset is grand when your on your own but as soon as someone else comes in the room you feel like a total idiot wearing the damned thing :)

;)

I think the trick with the headset is only to wear it when you're actually on Xbox Live........

I do use Live but the fact that with my low bandwidth atm the first thing to get cut is the voice data. When my connection is fixed next week I will Play More, Play Live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

reckon their waiting for PS2 to go online on Ireland to offially launch Xbox Live in Ireland

I sincerely doubt it, that's not exactly a smart business plan from Microsoft. I reckon Sony will have exactly the same problems trying to set it up here as Microsoft did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mj

The reason why Microsoft haven't launched xBOX live in Ireland is because that BB has only been introduced to residential customers at a reasonable rate. If they had started it up a few months ago they would be losing money in maintaining the small few people using xBOX live.

I am using xBOX live signed up thru the UK. The only thing about this is that when the renewal comes around that they will automatically deduct next years subscription from your credit card using the UK Sterling xBOX live rates, however this might not be a bad thing!

I wasn't even sure they'd accept the card in the first place once next year comes around?

Rejoice!!!

I finally got the router configured through a mish mash of technical support and trial and error. I am now playing xbox live......and....it....is......feckin' great!

/d.

ps... gamertag: arknine

if you fancy a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ok not bragging or anything but I have a question. I have 3 xbox's and I was wondering can I set up the same XBOX live account on all 3 xboxs? Instead of having to buy 3 xbox live sets.

No but you can log in as a guest if you play online from the same xbox. Split screen online motogp all the way!
    Hopefully I'll be up and running again next week uzami looking for a game of whatever takes your fancy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

am i the only one wondering why kensutz has 3 Xboxs? can i've one? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

no u cant. 1 I got at lauch, 1 is *ahem* modded and the other one is the limited edition one that was brought out a couple of weeks ago. See. If ya need proof I'll show ya proof.

Advertisement