Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone know the legalities of driving in the UK with...

Options
  • 07-05-2003 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

your 2nd/3rd (whatever) driving licence ? and would you also be required to carry your licence with you, as well as your passport while driving in the UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

would this be your second or third provisional? or full?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

A full EU licence will cover you to drive in the UK, but a provisional would probably be a bit dodgy! You won't need to carry a passport, but definitely the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

A provisional licence, no matter if its 2nd, 3rd or 25th, is not worth jack outside the 26 counties, not even in the north. Your insurance will not cover you, either.

If you are moving to the UK, either get a full driving licence before you go, or get the equivalent licence in the UK.

And you dont need your passport to go to the UK, its not needed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Your full Irish is grand although I think if you're going to be driving for 12 months, you have to surrender it for the equivalent English one. One thing you might want to note is that insurance companies over there sometimes get upset about Irish/other EU licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Cheers Folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I lived in the Channel Islands for a while and I had no trouble with the insurance companies with my (full) Irish licence but I quickly changed to a local licence.

It was very handy when back here on hols as they could not serve a summons (parking/speeding) on me in Jersey. God bless them they even posted a speeding ticket to me but I forgot ;) to pay it.

I've never been done for speeding before or since but the frustration of 200bhp and a 40mhp (max) on a small island drove me to it on a visit home.

I wonder how long I can keep my Jersey licence (legally) back in Ireland. Anyone know?

Advertisement