Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on a console games trading forum

Options
  • 07-05-2003 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

Lo

Looking for opinions on starting a games trading forum, with the emphasis on console games trading. Basically you have played a games to death or just dont like the genre and dont fancy forking out €70+ to try another game or whatever.

So questions?

Would there be much interest in such a forum?

What sort of simple rules could be put in a charter to make it a happy place to trade?

Any thoughts suggestions mad ideas?

Let me know.

Vex.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Sounds like a great idea.

Only real problem is how do you make sure some day hopper doesnt rip a load of us off.

Perhaps some kind of invite only board?

I dunno?

But deffinitly a good idea. pld :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ya, got my vote. Good idea

Why not make it an embedded board like DHL on Komplett. Embedded it in the Games and For Sale board.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Lo

emphasis on console games trading.

Vex.

Tis a great idea.
    Why the emphasis on console games though?????Ive a fair few recent enough PC games Id be willing to trade for other PC games.And Im sure theres others out there in the same boat.Shelves full of the damn things and even Game etc wont take them as a trade in even though some of them are just as good if not better than console based games.
    As a matter of fact I dont even own a console any more.Never really got into the PS2 and sold it after about a month or so.
    But yeah its a great idea.
    As for rules
    All trades are at the discretion of the trader/tradee.
    The best way to run it is probably to post your list of games and then use private messages to arrange the finer details.
    I think it should be trade only----none of this my game is worth more than your game so you have to give me €20 with yours to get mine etc.Just makes things complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thx for the quick feed back guys.. lots of good stuff

Wolf -- regarding getting ripped off, that has always been a difficult one, I suppose if you are concerned try to meet the person trading the game, secondly get a reference, have they traded with others are they well know to other people on the forum? if not and you cant meet up with them... its a personal decision on whether you post the game to them or not.

If you do post the game get it sent by registered mail... will cost a few euros but some peace of mind perhaps ... any thoughts?

Im not a fan of invite only boards, how do genuine newbies get in?

Rabies - will look in to the embedded board... however i dont think we can get it embedded on two forums - need to do some research on how we link to it from other forums if indeed this can be dont without too much code hacking.... If anyone has seen this done on other forums let me know so can can investigate.

Hellrazer - PC games are not excluded as such... its just too easy for people to keep a copy and the original serial... this could lead to problems with online gaming and we dont want to get involved in dispute resolution.... it will most likely included pc game trades with a caution note in the rules....

I like the rules, however, I much perfer to see all correspondence done on the forums and not via pm, the reson for this is less gazzumping which i very much dislike and it will keep people more honest and make disputes more transparent. I would perfer to see pms only used to exchange addresses or meeting points etc.
    Opinions?

I agree... its should be a trade only forum... no your game plus a wedge, if you dont like the trade, dont do it. Opinions?

I also would like to bring in a rule, along the lines of... if a trader agrees to trade and they subsequently pulls out, that may not trade on the board again... I want to avoid people making subsequent offers that may be percieved as better .IF you agree to trade you must trade... too harsh - opinions?

I agree with those last two rules deffinetly a good idea.

One game for another. Perhaps if it was something like Gun Crisis then you might say to the person gimme 1 plantinum game and one new or somin like that but leave it to personal descesion.

As for the last rule I would also like to see this not just been a rule but enforced quite heavily.

Also I agree about the PC games thing. Its far to easy to copy PC games in general and the CD codes would be a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mint idea!

you should have a list of banned people as a sticky, anybody who's tried ripping people off in other forums (wanted etc) should be added to that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like a great idea. I've bought and sold games over these boards already and have nothing but positive things to say about the people I have dealt with. A trading forum would be brilliant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The PC gamers!!!who rip people off with copied codes etc should also be banned.
    I mean if I traded a PC game for a PC game which had a code for playing online and if this game didnt work online due to a copied code etc then the person who traded the game should be banned outright.
    Like wise if I was trading an original game then I would not keep a copy for myself and trade the original.I suppose its just down to being a small bit honest.
    Also without mention no pirate games,copies etc.And all trades should be made by meeting only rather than post.Saves a lot of distrust etc.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    And all trades should be made by meeting only rather than post.Saves a lot of distrust etc.
    Richie
    Thats fine if you live in Dublin/Galway like most of the people on boards. What about the people (like me) that live in the country. There is no way i would travel to Dublin just to pick up a game (unless it was metroid :p ). Postage of games should be allowed or the board would die.
    As already mentioned have a name and shame sticky for those that agree to trade and then don't show up or give copied disks as a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Applaud the intention - it's a wonder no-one thought of this earlier.

Caution the approach though.

Some recommendations:
    1. The game's condition should be explicity stated when being offered i.e. whether it was bought 1st or 2nd-hand, any scratches on the disc or box/case etc
    2. PC games = dodgy territory. Let the buyer beware... Same goes for Dreamcast "back-ups"...
    3. Vexorg's rule about a trade being cancelled at the last minute - I think that there should be a 'days-of-grace'-period whereby the "guilty" party has to explain themselves to the satisfaction of the moderator and the "injured" party. Which leads me to...
    4. Who's going to moderate the forum?

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Epitaph
    PC games = dodgy territory. Let the buyer beware... Same goes for Dreamcast "back-ups"...

backups in general are intended for the owner of the game to use, nobody else. i seriously doubt that trading of backups in any form will be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Applaud the intention - it's a wonder no-one thought of this earlier.

I asked devore about it before xmas he said they'd look into it or they were working on it or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

[*] Who's going to moderate the forum?
    [/list=1]

maybe Vexorg plus the existing games mods or maybe bring in Blade and Keeks.

you'll definately need a few mods and it should be tightly run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

I love this idea! Thumbs up and a punt.

Ok so far the forums looks like it could be a runner...

Looking for applications for mods, preference will be given to existing mods. I like to see this as a no nonsence forums where all trades are trusted trades.

So applicaitons for mods who can express themselves well in an arguement and even better who can head off a disagreement before it happens.

Who does not have to revert to verbal abuse at the first opportunity, but can do so when required.

Will not tolerate rule breaking, delete first ask questions later..:)

Will be around on an almost daily basis

Will not tolerate warez of any sort

Will read a post and reread before making a hasty decision

Will give advice and guidence to newbies

etc etc...

If you are interested or know someone who would make a good job on this forum let me know via email...( see profile).

Thx

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Someone mentioned trade only and no money for games.I disagree.

Great idea this. I can imagine myself using it.

Disagreeing with the management can have serious consequences....

However point taken... The boards need to evolve as they go forward... If someone wants to trade a game plus cash... this can be done in the for sale forum.. if a game has a percieved greater value than another because its this years latest and greatest or most hyped... Im sure a number of games will be offered for it, we may need to sort out some sort of system for offers..

Why for example do you disagree with a no cash rule?.. a bit of discussion could help clarify the way we go forward with this...

Unfortunately my eyesight has been at me for the last few years so I have missed my pc gaming, the ps2, xbox, gamecube etc I put my hands up and say Im no expert on gaming or the value of games, hence this thread and discussion.

So lots more feedback please.

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

good idear
    i trade a good few dvd's over at www.thedvdforums.com/forums
    and havent had one problem yet
    just run it like the for sale board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Big thumbs up for this.

There is no rela reason for Game + cash deals, as IMO games can be sorted into three:

Brand spanking new super game (Top Value)
    Lets face it you're probably not going to want to sell it if it's that new. For trade purposes it's really worth no more than a Mid ranger tho.

Once around the block (Mid Range)
    You've played it a lot, finished it, found the super sexy hidden bits, now it's time to let go. In fairness these are the games that most will be trading and whether they cost €65 or €55 originally is of little matter as if you sell it 2nd hand to a shop you'll be lucky to get €20 for it and then shell out anouther €25 to but an equivalent 2nd hander.

Fits like an old boot (Classic)
    Either you got it cheap in the classic range or it's been out so long that it's available as classic - in which case you've surely got your monies worth. So classic for classic swaps are good too. Going by shop prices (X-Box in particular) two classics equals one Mid Range/Top Value

500 Posts - whoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There would also be the Rare/collectable/import category. Stuff like Chrono Cross, Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shenmue II (DC), etc. I know I wouldn't part with these or expect to get them for anything less than there value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

That would be brilliant, i think its great. But if someone gets a dodgy game, i say we hunt them down and break their legs...imagine trading a perfect game in the hope of getting somthing similar and its just a peace of **** in the post?

We would need something like this...i dont know if i could trust someone...i think id only trade dubliners jus so i cud meet them on grafton street, do the trade, check the disk and that would be that.

That would be brilliant, i think its great. But if someone gets a dodgy game, i say we hunt them down and break their legs...imagine trading a perfect game in the hope of getting somthing similar and its just a peace of **** in the post?

a total ban from boards would be good. i personally wouldn't trade with anyone that hadn't been around on boards for awhile unless i was trading face to face.
    Someone mentioned trade only and no money for games.I disagree

i don't think any money should change hands on this forum...its should be a TRADE only forum. if you wanna sell a game go to the for sale board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

do not split it into different trading forums for different games either just keep it in the one forum, much easier

there should be certain fields put into a new thread like the automatic thing on the for sale board
    We require you to provide these pieces of information if you wish to sell an item here:

Guideline price:
    Seller's location:
    Delivery options:

Something like...
    We require you to provide these pieces of information if you wish to trade an item here:

Game Title:
    Console:
    Conditition of game:
    Games wanted:
    Trader's location:
    Delivery options:
    Any other Relevent Info:

OK, first off alot of the discussion seem to be around the games for cash and a game thing.

I believe that the idea or premise should be game/s for game/s. ie if it a brand new game the maybe 2 platinum games for the brand new one. This kind of thing can be haggeled out between the respective parties.

As cash for games, I would like this to be kept to an absolute minimum. For example, say the game is a collector edition or somin, then possibly IF both the parties agree then a GAME and cash could be the deal. But I wouldnt like to see this potential board be mostly game for game unless exceptional circumstances are involved.

As for location etc this again can be left up to the parties discession.

As for been riped off. I not sure but perhaps if someone was to be blatantly ripped off I would hope that perhap at least a 3 month ban from the boards might be an option depending in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Hang on...

If a person's banned, can't he/she just rejoin Boards.ie under a different username using a different email address?

I know it's unlikely, but is there anything in place to monitor repeat offenders with different handles?

Epitaph
    For Great Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Common Sense:

If a poster has a low post count, dont buy from them, only buy from users with a highish post count.

I was thinking maybe it would go something like this

Poster: Bored with XXX game, anyone got a game they liked to swop

Reply1: Yeah sure XXX game and XXX game
    Reply2. 1 month old XX game

etc. etc.

And the poster chooses/haggles from the list of replies.

Maybe even have a template reply such as the FS boards, where the poster is required to fill in the fields etc.

yeah basically leave it up to user descression but I would recomend that all users of this potential board that they dont trade with a user with a very new reg date. As I have said tho leave it up to user descresion as its their game they will be parting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

If a poster has a low post count, dont buy from them, only buy from users with a highish post count.

i dunno about that , i dont have an high post count but i dont see myself ripping ne one off .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Placebo you`re a member for nearly a year, have a high enuff post count(more than 10).

Plus you`ve sold/bought a few things already on this board.

See :)

Background checks are easy to do

Advertisement