Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on a console games trading forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

that sounds like a really good idea.

I have another idea that could be run alongside this one... what about a games library, where everyone posts their games (except for the ones they can't live without) and then someone can browse the list, pick a game they like, and request it. people could only get one game at a time, and that's not one from each person, one in total. Also you could only keep it for a month, or something.

This way it saves you being pissed off with a dud game. if you don't like it, just give it back, request a different one. It'd probably take a lot more rules and a lot more administrative work, and i haven't thought it through fully... anyone have any suggestions, flaws with the plan? :)

I haven't rented a game in Ireland in about a decade. I'm not sure if it's changed, but back then, you only rented games for one or two nights, just like videos, which is a bit crap. In blockbuster in america, you rent games for a week, for under $5. It works much better, cos you actually get a chance to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Placebo you`re a member for nearly a year, have a high enuff post count(more than 10).

Plus you`ve sold/bought a few things already on this board.

See

Background checks are easy to do

damn, you guys are good :eek: :)

anyway , yeah its good idea overall . Do it soon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Big thumbs up to this idea; with a good mod coud really take off.
    You have my support anyway; trading in to a store is like bending over the counter and asking to be butt raped (Know that sounds a bit strong but Im tired and can't think of a more eloquent way to say it).
    There would'nt be any legal complications would there? I mean especially if you're including cash with a trade; there might be VAT issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Balfa
    that sounds like a really good idea.

I have another idea that could be run alongside this one... what about a games library, where everyone posts their games (except for the ones they can't live without) and then someone can browse the list, pick a game they like, and request it. people could only get one game at a time, and that's not one from each person, one in total. Also you could only keep it for a month, or something.

This idea sounds like a goodun. The only thing is im not too sure about the actual logistics of it. I mean off the top of my head I can think of a few probs.

ie people who put in games and never come back. But most importantly is you would really need a data base for it (I think) and where are you going to run it from, whos going to code it etc ?? Nice idea but to put it into practice might prove more effort than its worth :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The games library would be unworkable for us as admin of boards.. Too many members, too much time and not enough pay:)

Logistically very difficult to set up as wolf said, who would pay for postage, who makes sure games are returned on time, how to you penalise someone who is late, how do you penalise someone who is too lazy to return a game, what happens when a game is damaged etc etc.

Would be fine amoung a large group fo friends, but with 12000+ members of boards:)

More thought required... but a great idea....

Vex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

You're having to trust strangers there. I know I would never lend a game to someone over boards unless a deposit was put down. Even still, what have I got to gain by doing that? Sorry if that seems selfish but some people will just walk all over you. When I was younger and with far less money I used to constantly buy games, finish them and bring them back within the 10-fuss-return thingy.

I think this is a better idea.

People put forward a game or games that they are willing to sell or buy and a price beside it ( if you really want, games you want to trade for the games in question). If alot of people submitted you could browse through it and easily find things. As of the coding for this sort of thing? I have no idea. Sounds a bit like a smaller version of Ebay to me.

I'm still not convinced about game for game trading. What are the benifits? We have got a curency, why not use it! People can still ripped off. Lets say someone has a mint condition version of say.... Final Fantasy 3 for the snes with everything still in its box still tightly wrapped in its plastic cover, and agrees to swap for Time Crisis 1 on the playstation without any box or manual. This persons own dumb fault? Yes! Do some research when buying or selling games if your really not sure on their value.

My reasons for disagreeing with game for game trading:
    Why have game for game trading? Why not money?
    Lets say I want a game and I have no games, absolutely none, yet I have the console for this game, what then? Please someone explain why game for game rather then games for money is better. I don't see this being used as much if it went that way, if this idea becomes a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Lets say I want a game and I have no games, absolutely none, yet I have the console for this game, what then? Please someone explain why game for game rather then games for money is better. I don't see this being used as much if it went that way, if this idea becomes a reality.

you go to the wanted board and post a thread saying you want to BUY such and such game or you browse the For Sale Board to see if someone is SELLING any games.

i personally think it should be TRADE only. if you want to buy/sell a game use the For Sale board.

The Games Library idea is nice but it seems unfeasible from my point of view. I wouldn't be happy lending a game to someone over the net that i didn't know.
    There would'nt be any legal complications would there? I mean especially if you're including cash with a trade; there might be VAT issues?

there aren't any VAT issues with the For Sale board. All people are doing is getting rid of old/unwanted stuff - not commercially selling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

the reason that stores will not buy back PC games is that you accept a license agreement when you install the game and by selling the game you are breaking that agreement which is illegal.
    if the publishers found out that a store was buying these games to sell again they would sue.

it's not that way with console games as they do not come with a license agreement and you don't need to install anything.

The idea for the forum is a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Trebor
    the reason that stores will not buy back PC games is that you accept a license agreement when you install the game and by selling the game you are breaking that agreement which is illegal.
    if the publishers found out that a store was buying these games to sell again they would sue.

i dunno if vexorg is gonna allow PC game trading but i won't be trading any pc games. I'm not taking a game off someone thats already been installed on their machine. When i want to play online i don't want to get the message "CD-Key is in use".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Rnger
    Why have game for game trading? Why not money?

This really does seem to be the gist of your beef. (unless im mistaken). :confused:

The reason is quite simple. If I want to buy a second hand game then I can go through various different channels ( ie game, xtra-vision etc).

However, let me put it this way........

I have a game like Splinter Cell and no sodding cash untill the end of the month. This is actually the postion im in atm. I want to get that new Wolfverine game that has come out recently. Someone else has no money and the new Wolvie game and doesnt want it anymore (finished or doesnt like it) and wants Splinter Cell. I say to him hey "ill give you Splinter Cell for New Wolvie game". End result both of us broke but both of us happy with a new game to keep us entertained for a while.

This is why its a trade only thing.

As I have already said if it obvious that my game inst worth as much as his then I might say to him ill throw in a fiver, but this can be left up to the individuals to sort out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement