Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good DSL router?

Options
  • 07-05-2003 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

This might be stupid but I'll ask anyway. What the hell...it's only my first post.
    I'm considering buying a DSL router instead of a modem. Any advice? Is it possible to plug the ADSL connection right into the RJ45 10 Mbps router port without a DSL modem in between ? What exactly is provided with the self installation kit of Eircom, esat BT and netsource?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Michele,

Stay away from equipment provided by ISP's they are good in the fact that they do what they say on the tin, but they are hugely over priced. Have a look at the D-link 504 DSL router/modem combo. it's small, reliable and easy to configure. It's my device of choice for use with Eircom ADSL.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Agreed. But I would go one further and for a limited amount more you can have all the options especially if your a laptop or would have laptop users around.

http://www.dlink.co.uk/314.htm

This is a wireless router with adsl modem, supports nat, dhcp etc etc, doesn't have a virtual server is about all it's missing, worth a look.

I sourced them from data direct, speedy delivery too.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by sector
    Agreed. But I would go one further and for a limited amount more you can have all the options especially if your a laptop or would have laptop users around.

http://www.dlink.co.uk/314.htm

This is a wireless router with adsl modem, supports nat, dhcp etc etc, doesn't have a virtual server is about all it's missing, worth a look.

I sourced them from data direct, speedy delivery too.

Regards

Q: is that overkill for a home ?

Q: is the 504 suitable for Netsource ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

Linksys Wireless Ready ADSL Modem Gateway w/4-Port Switch with Wireless PCMCIA Card

Approx €177 from amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

was gonna get the netgear dg814 but that linksys seems good value compared with netgear dg824 and others . if i get the linksys befdsr41w which comes with the wireless adapter card what else must I get to set up a wireless connection with my pc or laptop. Will it connect with a desktop pc or just a laptop going wireless , any opinions or should I stick with the dg814.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

uzami , how are you getting that linksys modem/router ,model # befdsr41w for 177 euros because when I checked how much it costs including delivery it said 193 euros. do you live in the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Originally posted by kc10
    was gonna get the netgear dg814 but that linksys seems good value compared with netgear dg824 and others . if i get the linksys befdsr41w which comes with the wireless adapter card what else must I get to set up a wireless connection with my pc or laptop. Will it connect with a desktop pc or just a laptop going wireless , any opinions or should I stick with the dg814.

You'll need a wireless PC Card (about 80 euro from Komplett.ie) and if you want a desktop PC to be wireless, then you'll need a PCI wireless card (about 100 euro). Komplett.ie have good prices.

One word of caution - enable WEP security so folks don't piggy back on your signal!!! Or you can hardwire your wireless net to allow only your equipments MAC addresses gain access (at least my Netgear DG824M does)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

One word of caution - enable WEP security so folks don't piggy back on your signal!!! Or you can hardwire your wireless net to allow only your equipments MAC addresses gain access (at least my Netgear DG824M does)

Or you can do both if you are real paranoid, my 604+ allows 256bit encryption and MAC locking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Any degradation in performance with full security ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by MrB
    Or you can do both if you are real paranoid, my 604+ allows 256bit encryption and MAC locking :)

Add VPN for the really paranoid!!

I'm looking forward to getting my Draytek Vigor 2600 ADSL Router:

- 10/100 MB 4 port switch, ADSL modem, (DHCP, Dynamic DNS, Firewall, etc.) AND
    a VPN server :)

I think I'll get a seperate AP in a few months with A/B/G support.

BTW is the 802.11A (5 GHz) band still license only in Ireland and are there any plans to open it up soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    Any degradation in performance with full security ?

I'm sure there is some with the encryption, to be honest I've not used it with DSL yet as I am still waiting for switch on :) .
    seems a little slow for comp to comp transfers but fast enough for what I want, I'll check out pings when Netsource finaly get around to giving me DSL goodness!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Michele,

Stay away from equipment provided by ISP's they are good in the fact that they do what they say on the tin, but they are hugely over priced. Have a look at the D-link 504 DSL router/modem combo. it's small, reliable and easy to configure. It's my device of choice for use with Eircom ADSL.

Paul

Paul , ive been reading up on that router, seems to get good reviews pretty much everywhere.

I see its available on the IT Direct site for €157.24 , is this where you got it, if not know of any place that does it for cheaper?

TIA

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement