Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logging into 2000 domain using Windows XP Home

Options
  • 07-05-2003 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Afternoon All,

Quick question.
    Does anyone know if its possible to change the login screen in XP home, so that you can login to a Windows 2000 domain?

I know it can be done with Pro (just don't have the sheckels to upgrade at the moment)

Cheers
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if i remember correctly XP home cannot join a domain. It is limited to a 5 user peer to peer network.

Google is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Damit!, I had a "feeling" that would be the case.

Although Technet do mention turning off FastSwitch helps with logging on to domains. Prob not full membership though.

Ahwell, Pro it is then.

Cheers LoLth

S.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one of the nice features not in XP is the ability to have drives mapped etc. with a login script - since this feature was in Win95/98/ME and probably 3.11 (or was that just the Novell client running the script?)

Anyway it is just marketing to force business users to use PRO. Ha ha - to anyone who thought XP would unite business users and home users.
    IMHO in some respects Pro/Home are further apart than other M$ home/work OS's - really sickening for those of us who remember that NT4 workstation was a few files and registry settings from becoming NT4 server - and the way if you put 3.51 on top of 3.11 most of the apps would still work in either when you dual booted.

Open Network Neighbourhood* - click on the server and open the Netlogon folder - create a short cut to the login script you normally use on the desktop (or just copy the file) - thus you can now do manually what was done for you previously in all other versions of windows that come with networking built in (3.1 and below need not apply).

*network neighbourhood - the old fashoned way of doing things - one click and you can see the network - instead you only have to click through four or five steps - till you see the domain or workgroup you wanted to see - right click - create shortcut on desktop - rename to network neighbourhood..

Why do you want full membership - you haven't paid Bill for it.

Or you could UPGRADE to Windows 2000 home.

Capt'n Midnight
    Yeah agree with ye there. Tis mind boggling how many more clicks you need, when one or two was all you needed in other OS's as far back as Win95 For gods sake!

On the Full Memebership thing... i was refering to full membership of a domain. I think you thought I was talking about technet?

Cheers
    S.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No I'm talking about the €120 difference between OEM Home/PRO (more if you get either retail)

While I'm on about licenses - CAL's
    AFAIK with MAC's you only pay for the first 10 client licenses on a server, with SAMBA you don't pay at all, and with SQL they have changed the rules - if you want more than 30 clients (and you can't cheat by using terminal server or citrix) you should by a license for the processor that SQL will run on (so much for the upgrade paths) and the early rumours on windows 2003 server is that extra functionality will be added - but with extra licensing costs..

RANT:
    You can buy a PC with a modem and with XP and Works on it - and share to up to 15 others.So you can email someone your little database.

If you want to do the same thing in a business enviroment where you add stuff into a central dB and then can email a report on it is a little more expensive ++120 for Pro ++230 for Office Std ++ more for Access ++for CAL ++for Exchange CAL ++ SQL client license (and you have to apportion a part of the cost of the server licenses to each client) - we've got to a stage where hardware costs are far less than software costs for the vast majority of Business users.. (esp if anyone can figure out how to get a real refund on the preinstalled works/windows)

• Advertisement

Tell me about it!

In me last jpb I was incharge of Software purchasing.
    The amount of fights I had with the CEO/Finance Manager on why we needed a small fortune JUST to upgrade the os's on the machines. + extra bloody CALS for each person in the damn company.

S.

Advertisement