Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fender or Gibson

• 07-05-2003 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

i need to find out once and for all . Best guitar for looks sound and playability and i want a straight answer.Les Paul or stratcaster amd im not looking for purchasing advice i just want opinions . thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Definately Les Paul for looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

as far as looks go, they are the quintessential models, timeless. its personal taste really. to me, les paul stands out more. how are your finances? as far as i know the strat wud be a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Depends what sort of stuff you play really, also some people prefer the feel of the Strat or the Les Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah. For rock deffo a Les Paul *sigh*. For grunging some slow blues licks to get licks off a lady - the Strat (or Tele).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its like asking which colour car should you get. Black or Red.

Gibsons, Les Paul, SG, Explorer, all sound very different to one another. Fenders be they Strats, Tele's, Mustang's also sound very different from one another. Each very unique.

Any true musician would have to have one of each, not one or the other. However us mere mortals can only afford one or the other. One way to decide would be to look at your favorite quitarists, and your favorite kinda music and see what is the most commonly used quitar. Because that will give you a definate nudge towards the sound that you like.

Unfortunately few of my own favorites stick to one quitar so I'm stumped. I generally go by the shape of the the neck and if I'm comfortable holding and playing it. Also if you took 100 strats, they'd all sound different. So theres no golden rule.

My advice is try a few of each type in the shop, and you will quickly realise which you prefer. Don't discount the modern makes like Jacksons, ESP or IBANEZ. These are all excellent quitars. More general purpose sound wise than a Fender or Gibson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I don't like either all that much, but if forced i'd probably go for a paul for the way it looks and the way it plays (i hear)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

i need to find out once and for all . Best guitar for looks sound and playability and i want a straight answer.Les Paul or stratcaster amd im not looking for purchasing advice i just want opinions . thanks

sorry geeza, only you can answer that question , unless you like peeps telling you what to like!

I av a PRS which is a cross between the 2 really.
    The real difference is sound- Strats- hendrix/SRV/gilmore
    Les Pauls- page/moore/perry

Starts- Glassy, clean, thin, plunky bright, cutting, funky sound
    Pauls- Dark, woody, thick, broad rocky/jazzy sounds

But you can get humbuckers for your strat and make it sound like a les paul (ish!) or coil tap your humbuckers on the Paul and make it sound strat like.

God I luv gee-tars:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Go fer a PRS instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Why not go somewhere in the middle, say an Ibanez AR250 or something like that. Unless you want to shell out about 10 grand for an AR2000 prestige!

Mmmmm.... Gold hardware.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Im not buying either.And i dont want advice.And guess what i dont want you to tell me to get my own opinion .I happen to know my own opinion.i just wanted to see whats more popular.because most peopole are either strat or L.P.:mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kanurocks
    Im not buying either.And i dont want advice.And guess what i dont want you to tell me to get my own opinion .I happen to know my own opinion.i just wanted to see whats more popular.because most peopole are either strat or L.P.:mad:

:confused:

Im not buying either.And i dont want advice.And guess what i dont want you to tell me to get my own opinion .I happen to know my own opinion.i just wanted to see whats more popular.because most peopole are either strat or L.P.

soooo why post this thread?

Go do your own research and read a few guitar mags like
    the rest of us:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Took him long enough to reply, and so full of anger too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Once again I agree with those who say it depends cause it really does.

My personal Preference is the Les Paul for its look and its feel and well the sound.

but the Fender is great playing pieces in blues scales.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Then why not just use a poll? Far easier.

Originally posted by Washout
    Once again I agree with those who say it depends cause it really does.

My personal Preference is the Les Paul for its look and its feel and well the sound.

but the Fender is great playing pieces in blues scales.

Just like BB King, Gary Moore, etc...

Just like BB King, Gary Moore, etc...

just like jimi hendrix, eric clapton, SRV,buddy guy,Robert Cray,
    muddy waters,jimi page and a few others.....

apart from them no one plays blues on a strat:p :p:p

Originally posted by juno75
    just like jimi hendrix, eric clapton, SRV,buddy guy,Robert Cray,

apart from them no one plays blues on a strat:p :p:p

You could put together a list as long for Gibson players as for Fender. Indeed Page used Gibsons as much is, if not more than fenders. Its a dumb argument.

Its a dumb argument.

1. I was not argueing

2.you started it:p

3.only jokeing

BOTTOM LINE:

YOU CANNOT CHOOSE BETWEEN A FENDER OR A STRAT!!!!!!!!

IT DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOUR EARS AND HANDS.

What is infinatly more important is the person playing.

PS

GO the third way and get a PRSww)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"YOU CANNOT CHOOSE BETWEEN A FENDER OR A STRAT!!!!!!!!"

Im sure you mean a Gibson or a Fender..

"just like jimi hendrix, eric clapton, SRV,buddy guy,Robert Cray,
    apart from them no one plays blues on a strat"

Jimmy Page is legandary for playing a Les Paul..

Anyways this is one hugely trivial mother****er of a thread,absolut pure bollix like. All its doing for me is consistantly proving how little some people actully know.

Even the original question is so generalised its bull**** : "Best guitar for looks sound and playability and i want a straight answer.Les Paul or stratcaster amd im not looking for purchasing advice i just want opinions"

Both guitars in all there variations are perfectly good for whatever you want to do,they are both legandary,thats why they are still around. If your not interested in buying one,why the **** would you be bothered wanting to know which is 'better'? To sit around and talk ****e about them? Cause thats what this has deteriorated into if you ask me. Childish childish childish bull****.

I give up.

Tom

• Advertisement

"YOU CANNOT CHOOSE BETWEEN A FENDER OR A STRAT!!!!!!!!"

duh, I stand corrected .thanks!

Regarding the rest of your post, i find it a tad agressive.

I like like conversing about guitars, whats the problem with that?

Of course this is an innane thread (why bother take part in it then?)
    Jimmy Page is legandary for playing a Les Paul..

Absolutly, the reason I put his name in there is cause he
    often used Strats and teles in the Studio , particuarly on Houses
    of the Holy and thier latter records.
    All its doing for me is consistantly proving how little some people actully know.

Try me mate, I 'm the last to say I have an all encompassing knowlage of guitars but judgeing buy the banter in these threads
    I am a little more clued up than the average bear.
    Childish childish childish bull****.

To express oneself like that is a fine example of childlessness.

I give up.

Dont take much then.

Depending on what I'm recording it's gonna be a strat or a les Paul (either the genuine artical or a decent copy)

You cant choose between a Humvee or a Ferrari can ye?

Yep, dumb thread but always worth purseuing cause you
    never know you may learn something.

A closed mind never grows.

Peace and love kittens:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Im just so so sick of the way threads develop on this board. Someone may start with a valid question (which this thread is not),next someone idiot will post something ludicrous,and anyone with a bit of sense comes on and is so shocked by the bull****,it becomes nit picking and flaming. I know cause I do it myself,but its usually in sheer disbelief.

As for the agression ,yeah your spot on there. I aint the calmest of people,and far from being in the most wonderful of moods today.Wherever I can vent this anger I will,its frustration with the lack of any kind of decent musical conversation,its all pissing contests and niave questions that could be solved by spending 5 minutes on google.

"I like like conversing about guitars, whats the problem with that?" So do I,I have been in bands since I was about 13 and am now 22,Im always talking to other musicans ,99% of my friends are,all I do is sit round and talk and jam with other musicians..I dont even work,music is my job, and I dont have a problem explaining stuff or putting younger musicians on the right path,

What I hate though is some egotistical 16 year old whos been playing 6 months,blurting out something nightmarish. I do not know everything,nor will I ever claim to,but do you not find that 90% of the threads that people on this board come out with could be solved with common sense ? I reminded of drunk pirate ..

My last post wasnt an attack on you Juno,the context of the first few lines may have made it seem like that, but "To express oneself like that is a fine example of childlessness" yes I am a man,so therefore will remain childless and never be able to give birth unless medical science helps me out.

"Depending on what I'm recording it's gonna be a strat or a les Paul (either the genuine artical or a decent copy)" I own a Les Paul,would you like a lend ?

Im not as close minded as you assume,my gripe is with the general quality of musical discussion..its very..low end,Im sure there has to be people who agree with me.

*shrug*

My 2 cents I suppose

Tom

I own a Les Paul,would you like a lend

hehe, yes actually in a few weeks we are hitting studio
    so may come handy:p
    I dont even work,music is my job

lucky for some :(
    I have to work my nuts off all day to play at night. But I suppose that make me less of a musician......
    lack of any kind of decent musical conversation

Well dude, Post summfink cool, I ll be the first to banter.
    Im always trying to think of a good post.

Anyway this thread was dead for ages untill wots his name ,who ever posted it came back with a really arsey reply, I cant resist that.If it turns into a discussion about Fender/Paul's then grand.
    Im bored at work anyway so I dont care.

Im 28, play a PRS have 14 years playing,13 of that live.
    Is that a badge of credibility r am I full of sh!te to you ?

Suppose its good to hear someone passionate about thier art
    so all power to you.

Another thing dude, dont take Boards soooo seriously:)

Hope we have a good muso guitaro chinwag soon, peace:ninja:

Originally posted by juno75
    1. I was not argueing

2.you started it:p

3.only jokeing

BOTTOM LINE:

YOU CANNOT CHOOSE BETWEEN A FENDER OR A STRAT!!!!!!!!

IT DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOUR EARS AND HANDS.

What is infinatly more important is the person playing.

PS

GO the third way and get a PRSww)

Ha ha ok, yah got me :D

Yeah its ALL in the person playing. You'll sound like you what ever you play. Sorry. Never really dug the whole PRS thing.

I'll talk rubbish about guitars till my ears fall off. To anyone. NO really, anyone. I'd talk about the merits of a plank with strings if need be :D.

One small point is that originally fenders are a product of mass production where as the gibson are made in a traditional way. The're both mass produced now, but thats part of why they are different, and sound different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Planet Joe

Gibsons nowadays are mostly used for metal like Metallica for example. Strats are peoples choice two times out of three because its more versitile.
    Not to mention its a hell of alot cheaper!! Anybody who spends 3600 euro on a gibson les paul custom has more money thn they know what to do with. Theres no difference between a gibson custom and standard, except 1000 euro. Even thats too much for most. Plus if you damage the neck on a gibson guitar you can't simply replace it, you have to buy a whole new guitar. But a strats neck can easily be replaced. Thats the whole truth, no one on this thread knows what there talking about. You are all idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That was the most idiotic and wrong post about guitars I have seen in a long time.
    Gibsons are now only used for metal?
    If you change the pickups it might be better for it. Gibsons are more suited to Blues Rock / Heavy Rock. If you got a custom job it would cost more because it was built to a certain specification, and all Gibsons are not the same.
    It's quite obvious you haven't a clue what your talking about and probably just want to justify that squire you have in the plastic gig bag behind you.
    Do you even own or have played a les paul?

Gibson are quite popular in Jazz too. You can splice the neck to repair it. Gibsons are traditional designs vs Fender mass production design. The reasons Gibson used to be used a lot in heavier music was because their pickups double coils are noise cancelling and generally more powerful than the single coils on fenders. So you could drive an amp into distortion and control it easier with a dual pickup. But its more of a myth and a fashion statment as most decent quitar players swap between fenders and gibsons. Pickup design is a lot more advanced these days and those old adages are no longer true. Choice of pick up is more about tone and personal taste than any other reason.

Its more like drawing a picture with a thick or a thin pencil. you use which ever suits what you are doing best, and whatever suits your mood. As they say its not the size of your pencil that counts, its how you write your name.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

This thread is gettin way too serious. You know what it needs? A joke!

What's the difference between computers and women?

Women don't take 3 and a half inch floppies!

P.S. Lesbians rule!

...groan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

i think your all bloody mad. i didnt want advice on what to by you planks.i just wanted a one word answer.i only made this thread to win a bet. and i think you should think long and hard about getting lives.{too the majority of you who didnt give answers in book form sorry}

kanurocks,

Listen mate, what is your problem?

I m getting sick of your smart arse answers, why post the thread anyway?

Your either baiting us all or showing your complete lack of understanding expecting a one word answer to a question like that.

Have you nothing better to do than insult the people who take the time to respnd to your thread with thier hard learnd experiance?

BTW, I have a fekking great life that revolves around playing guitar live about 3-4 times a week, I got a good job and 2 nuts betwixt my legs.

Compared to some muppet who has to come to a place like this to have people make up there mind for him on the 2 most common form of eletric guitars I think I'm rather edu-macted.

Your blantent lack of any knowlage on this subject was givin away by this:
    i need to find out once and for all . Best guitar for looks sound and playability and i want a straight answer.

phhhifff, dorko

Like saying:

I need a straight answer once and for all, whats better an apple or an orange?

Then you say this:
    i just want opinions

We give our opinions and then you come back with:
    i just wanted a one word answer

So which is it wonder boy?

I think I know, any answer that makes you sound dominant probably because you are intimadated by the amount of good quality ,valid opinions posted to a stupid question.
    thanks

Why bother saying thanks when all you intend doing is belitelling peoples opinions, Start as you mean to go on and all of that.
    bought up in a barn?
    And i dont want advice.And guess what i dont want you to tell me to get my own opinion .I happen to know my own opinion

Jeebus, you sound like a 5 year old girl who dropped her lolly,
    What kind of spoilt brat are you mate anyhow? Mummy would not fork out for a Les Paul so you get cross with the world??
    i think your all bloody mad

Only one fool around these parts leaving that impression of him self to the world.

I'd love to meet you fella and have a quite word about your complete lack of social and communicational skills, I'd say you a real character in RL:D

COme on, answer me back, pleeeease,pleaase.

BTW, when ever I see your name on these Boards ( and everone else I suspect) Im just gonna think 'hahaha, theres that prat who dont know the difference between a strat and a Paul.

Get a life gringo, better still dont bother and give the rest of us to poke fun at with a pointy stick.

Farting in your general direction.

Juno

Advertisement