Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this what comreg should be spending its time on?

Options
  • 07-05-2003 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I've done a search and couldn't find anything on this so sorry if I'm posting something that's old news. Just got this link in an email.

Basically Ward Anderson who owns most of the cinemas in Ireland had bought a mobile phone blocker which he was going to use to stop people pissing everyone off with their phones in the middle of a movie. Although noone gave out about this blocker to ComReg they still managed to find out about it and inform Mr Anderson that he could face a heafty fine or a year in prison for owning the damn thing not a mind using it.

Shouldn't ComReg be more concerned about getting us decent broadband then making sure we can't sit through a movie without getting a least 3 nokia ring tones bl33ted out at us?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well, yes, they should be spending time on this. Mobile blockers are a contentious issue but they fall withing ComReg's remit and it's up to them to define policy on them. Certainly, they should be working hard to make Internet access a fundamental, but they have other stuff to do too. Or would you prefer they allowed every TD&H in the country do what they like with the spectrum? Boy, that'd be fun. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Thorbar
    I've done a search and couldn't find anything on this so sorry if I'm posting something that's old news. Just got this link in an email.

Basically Ward Anderson who owns most of the cinemas in Ireland had bought a mobile phone blocker which he was going to use to stop people pissing everyone off with their phones in the middle of a movie. Although noone gave out about this blocker to ComReg they still managed to find out about it and inform Mr Anderson that he could face a heafty fine or a year in prison for owning the damn thing not a mind using it.

Shouldn't ComReg be more concerned about getting us decent broadband then making sure we can't sit through a movie without getting a least 3 nokia ring tones bl33ted out at us?

While I’m as pissed off as you about people who haven’t a sense of personal responsibility and consideration for others in cinemas and other public venues when it comes to muting their phone, the alternative is even worse. i.e. being zapped with overpowering doses of radiation strong enough to cancel out mobile phone traffic across a broad spectrum. A spectrum that is rapidly growing in terms of bandwidth with 3G.

Ireland is rapidly shooting itself in the foot as a country due to the lack of personal responsibility of it’s citizens.

Careless drinking. Careless driving. Careless use of mobiles in public places. Misuse of insurance and the legal system. Filth in rivers and everywhere else. Putting off tourists and making life less pleasant for residents etc. etc. Taxi drivers who just honk when they arrive for a fare rather than calling to the person's door or phoning them to announce their arrival. ie pollution of one type or another. The outside observer might be forgiven for thinking that Ireland is rapidly turning into a country of yobs on many fronts.

I am totally pro people’s liberty to do anything they like to as much excess as they like so long as it doesn’t impinge on others quality of life. Heavy doses of radiation to shut down mobile phone use is an impingement on customers right to personal health not to mention staff – who no doubt will be next in line to the asbestos claimers between 2007-2010 at the rate things are going.

AFAIAC ComReg are right on this one – but for the wrong reasons (in terms of priorities).

No doubt someone will be waiting in the wings to dispose of this thread to some other destination. They should bear in mind that 3G mobile phones with broadband web access will also be impacted by “cinema blockers” – preventing movie goers from using broadband services while in the cinema (in total silence) – if certain people get their way!

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

preventing movie goers from using broadband services while in the cinema (in total silence) – if certain people get their way!

and there was me thinking that watching the fecking film was the whole point...I think I'll bring me laptop and me wireless card next time then - just think, I can watch two movies at one time !!!

/me shakes head in disbelief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Thorbar

To be fair-Comreg were put in the position of having to do something as there was publicity about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by zz03
    They should bear in mind that 3G mobile phones with broadband web access will also be impacted by “cinema blockers” – preventing movie goers from using broadband services while in the cinema (in total silence) – if certain people get their way!

zz..

i was in the cinema the other day and the person sitting next to me had his phone on silent but kept checking the thing for messages which really pissed me off as the blue light coming from it was a distraction.
    i was about to pull the phone out of his hands and shove it where the son don't shine!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement