Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insomnia

• 08-05-2003 4:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

Im nearly sure I've seen this topic before but anyway meh! delete this if you wanna....

I have awful trouble getting to sleep, particularly in the last few months. I lie awake for hours just thinking, I analyse everything that I have done during the day or anytime during my entire 19 years on this planet. Imagining different scenarios, how I could have done things differently. This then leads to feelings of regret and guilt and the like....

There are many things on my mind costantly but I find that during the day it's far easier to distract myself with music, TV etc just to stop myself from getting lost in my own thoughts. This is much harder to do at night.

I've tried many relaxation techniques, tried to keep myself from thinking but nothing is working.

It's becoming or already is a major problem as I have exams coming up and find myself so completely drained and stressed out that I cannot concentrate on study...

When I do fall asleep I find that it's restless and I only sleep for short periods during which time I wake many often.

When I get up in the afternoon, which is happening quite frequently lately I am so exhausted that the thoughts of cracking down to some friggin sociology or physiology notes is like a mammoth task. I feel weak and ill, although I'm eating enough and am not anaemic.

Can anyone reccommend something to help me as Im getting desperate at this stage, its affecting my ability to function which I really really cannot afford to happen as I have no hope of getting into the next year of college if I do lousey in these exams as my first semester was a total waste due to other issues which I was dealing with at the time. Would sleeping pills be worth looking into or is there some natural solution out there which may be worth looking into.

Thanks for your time

AmZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Just over a year ago I was laid off from work. Myself and my girlfriend were about to start building our house. To cut a long story short I began suffering big time from stress and as you are I laid awake on a night time worrying.

You have to try and control your mind from being active on a night time. I evertually got into the habit of not thinking about the shít things that were going on in my life when I would wake up @ 4am.

Try your local health shop for some "natural" sleeping pills. I tried some before and they were good. Also have a bath before you go to bed to fully relax. Most importantly when your mind starts to wonder you have to stop yourself. Think about something else like lying on a beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Hey you,

have you tried trying to make yourself physically tired? I have started power walking most evenings or something that involves physical exercise so that by the time I hit the pillow I nod off nearly immediately.

Try going for a run or something when you have finished studying and that should tire you out. It'll also clear your head of any crap thats in there and generally make you feel healthier than you are now.

Hope it's been of some help.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I suffered from the same problem, I still do on and off. It usually happens when I'm preoccupied or worried/stressed about something. When this happens your brain is producing an imbalance of chemicals and this is behind probably behind your insomnia.

The bad news is that in all probability, few drugs will work (the natural ones had no effect on me, but do try them if you are inclined). In anycase, you are looking for natural sleep, especially with exams looming. Sleep tablets will only make matters worse later on (synaptic receptors are proportionally sensitive to the neurotransmitters they encounter, blast them with too many or starve them and they increase/reduce in numbers so you end up either fatigued or manic) .

The best tactic is to cut down on sugars and caffeine along with anything that might by a stimulant. Try get some evening exercise (no prob for a sporty lass like yourself) nothing too strenueous, a long walk or a short jog would do.

Finally, daft as it sounds, there are meditative techniques that work (eg. while lying in bed, close your eyes and imagine a kite floating in the wind).

Its sounds quacky I know, but it sometimes works. Oh and RELAX about the exams! Know you're going to do your best and try not to agonise about them too much. The anxiety may be whats causing the sleeplessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You've mentioned that there are many things on your mind and that its easy to distract yourself from them during the day.

Maybe you shouldn't be doing this, they might be things you need to address and if you don't do it during the day they keep you awake at night.

When you start missing sleep the sleep deprivation can make mountains out of mole hills quite easily and increase you stress levels even more. Think about these things during the day instead of distracting youself, go for a walk of a run in the evening and then have a bath before you go to sleep. I also find reading is good, helps get me off to sleep and if that fails its something to do rather than lie there thinking about 'stuff'.

Valerian root tea is also good for sleeping, its the stuff they make valium from ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

My sister tends to worry a lot too, she swears by relaxation tapes they play relaxing music and/or speak really calmly to you. In fact, you can get relaxation tapes that aim to aid your studying as well!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

hey Amz,

I used to be the exact same way you are. Worrying about every single thing that had either gone on that day or had gone on throughout my life. Analysing everything and all the rest.

First of all you will have to take a deep breath and tell yourself that worrying about all these things will not change anything. You can't and neither can anybody else change what has gone on in the past so stop worrying about that for a start. Worrying is a vicous circle, you worry about something and then you worry about worrying. Driven me mad in the past it has :)

I used to spend hours lying in bed trying to get some sleep. A trick I used was to distract my mind from my thoughts. This is hard to explain so I hope you'll bare with me.

Think of something black in front of your face. It isnt anything, not paper, not a wall, just blackness. If you start to think of it as something just remind yourself that it is merely a space. Try and rid your mind of all thoughts and worries. Concentrated on the blackness. If thoughts still pester you keep concentrating on the blackness.

It takes a while to get used to but it really helped me get some needed sleep in the past. I hope it can help you too.

Also some physical exercise, as was mentioned previously will do wonders as well.

Best wishes,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Hey guys thanks for that!

I've been trying the exercise in the evening a bit and it helped a little (I was asleep by 3am rather than 4:30) but I think that has something to do with the fact that I came home and analysed how I could improve my running technique or what kind of training I should be doing to improve my fiteness again!

I'm dealing with most of the issues I try to distract myself from during the day, I'm seeing a counsellor at the moment (he's gonna have a field day next week haha!)

I'll have a look for those tapes too! Do you know where they are available Patch69?

Thanks for all your help!

Hopefully there will be a reduction in posts at 4am from me!

A.M
    xx

Hmmn. Self analysis is a bad thing. When I am walking/running/climbing I just work on getting a faster time next time rather than how to get faster. You only need to work on technique if you are doing it competitively. The more you think about it the more you fúck up. For example, I play snooker and most angles come naturally to me but if I second guess them, bang, missed the shot. And the next and so on.

It's best not getting yourself into a hole over something that may or may not have been. If things are working fine the way they are, fúck it, why change them?

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

*hugs*
    Originally posted by Kell

have you tried trying to make yourself physically tired?

good idea. i find i go to sleep even earlier if i swim...don't wear goggles..he he...the chlorine burns my eyes and makes me tired!

if you do drink caffeine cut back....if i drink anymore than i cup of tea/coffee per day it will have an affect on me

they say that reading in bed and watching tv can also keep you up, and add to it (although reading in bed puts me to sleep) but it's to do with concentration, if you keep your mind active before you go to bed, or while trying to go to sleep by watching tv, reading, even listening to music (which is what keeps me awake, i concentrate on the music and can't sleep) your body wont begin the winding down process it needs....this is just stuff i've read in magazines and stuff don't know if it works or not but give it a shot, it's no harm.

when i was younger, i remember i stayed up all night worrying because i had forgotten to write back to my pen pal in ages and i was afraid she'd think i was a wrotten person. it literally kept me up all night. chill....try and adress any problems during the day, i mean what are you going to gain by thinking about them at night (easier said than done)

one of the thinks that gets me out like a light is imaging things. i used to write stories when i was younger and rather than actually pen them i think about them when i go to bed but i fall asleep before i get passed saying hello to the tall dark handsome man who's just crossed my path ;)

yeah..try and sort out any problems you have. not easy to do aroud exam time, but my approach to it is 'it's too late to worry about thigns now' and i only have the odd night of bad sleep now.

hope it gets better soon
    xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Amz
    Im nearly sure I've seen this topic before but anyway meh! delete this if you wanna....

I have awful trouble getting to sleep, particularly in the last few months. I lie awake for hours just thinking, I analyse everything that I have done during the day or anytime during my entire 19 years on this planet. Imagining different scenarios, how I could have done things differently. This then leads to feelings of regret and guilt and the like....

This is probly really obvious but...when I cant get to sleep I read a book untill i get so tired i just fall asleep...it also takes your mind off things and relaxs you..where as watching tv stimulates the brain..

• Advertisement

Oh a few other things I try when I cant sleep. Try counting- sounds daft but it works. I am normally asleep before I hit 100. I play tetris in my head as well. For some reason I find that thinking about mundane boring tasks puts me to sleep.

K-

Hehe cool! I shal try that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Hey Amz,

First off this is a problem that I have struggled with all my life. It isnt anywhere nearly as bad as it used to be but some night I wouldnt sleep at all and even these days I tend to get by on about 4/6 hours sleep a night.

This problem is actually multifold.

1/ First off you are one of those lucky/unlucky people that has high energy levels. Some people can just keep going for longer than other. What I would suggest for this is swimming. The reason I say swimming is that its very relaxing unlike running and it is a total body exercise. Try swimming, even slowly for an hour a night and try telling me you arent dying for your bed?

2/ Making a problem where there isnt one. By the mere fact that you have identified this as a problem in itself mean that you are more likly to dwell on the fact that you cant sleep. As a result you will be more inclined not to sleep because that the way things are. You wont find the problem gone untill one day you say long after your better "wow I just remembered im sleeping fine again where did that come from".

3/ On to number three. Worry. You have no idea the amount of people that suffer from over agressive worry. Alot of people like this are pushed under the carpet until the problem comes through in a worse way such as drink,violence or other deviant behaviour.
    The trick not to worrying is simple, the problem is that it is too simple. Although, I can promise you that if you try these guide lines then it will work.

i) Identify whats bothering you point be point.

ii) Identify what you can change to make it stop bothering you and do right there right then. No matter what it is.

iii) What you can't change (and as long as you are stong it is very rare that you cant change it) stop worrying about it. You must accept that which you cannot change or that which you are unwilling to change.

Another few quick pointers, all sound simple but try them REALLY TRY them.

Count your blessings. Maybe you have a really top notch PC. Maybe you have really nice hair or a nice bum or a nice car or a nice speaking voice. Just stop once in a while and say to yourself well I could be like that person or that person, when I really look at it my life is pretty sweet.

Everyone has problems not just you. Always remember that other people are worse off than you and worry about the same things that you do.

I know this all sounds very hair fairy but believe it works. Also im not some excessivly possitive person or anything I go out I get pissed I play computer games and score girls Im very very normal. It just that for years I worried and I finally figured out that doing is a much better expense of energy than worrying.

It may sound like a load of BS but for yor sake just give it ago. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Amz, after My exams I had the exact same problem, I still do, its simply that your mind is too active, you need to rest it and just get rid of all the worries or thoughts, I txt'd a few ppl one night, and well, this is the best answer i got:

"Nah u need to relax and sleep. Try emptying your head of all thoughts. Failing that choke the one eyed trouser snake. relaxing and sleep inducing"

hehehe, well actually, that wasnt the best advise, but i found it funny and so posted it.

good luck

Hehe cheers for that!

I didnt expect to get so many replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I dont know if this classifies me as an insomniac but i've been getting by on 4 - 6 hours sleep a night for roughly the last 2 years perhaps more. I've been led to believe that i'm hyperactive to an extent (not like those annoying sugar addict bastard kids). There is the odd night i fall asleep after 20 minutes or so and get perhaps 9 hours sleep, its extraordinarily rare though. Doesnt really appear to bother me now, perhaps down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

I've had similar problems too, I recently found a relaxation hypnosis thingy on the net which seems to work a treat when I use it..

I've always laid in bed thinking till like 4am, been happening since i can remember :s, but ive used this tape twice and both times I went to sleep like a baby :>

anyway, if you want the mp3, click here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Lavender essence in one of those oil burners or a few drops on your pillow is allegedly very good.

Me, I can't stand the smell of the stuff so I just stuck to sleeping tablets while I was suffering from insomnia badly. Having said that, they aren't the best solution to the problem, much better to find out why you're so stressed etc. and sort that out. Also they can leave you feeling like a zombie with a hangover the next day, which isn't a good idea around exam time. Oh and then there's the whole possibility of them being addictive.

I was a happy bunny the day after I had taken my (hopefully) last sleeping tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cut out booze, tea, coffee, cigarettes, etc. Drink enough water.

Get some exercise in the early evening, this works off the adrenilin from the stress.

Eat 3 square meals a day. Don't eat too late in the night (other than a light snack half an hour before bed).

Try a warm bath with some bath salts (Epsom Salts are very cheap).

Get up in the morning at a reasonable hour.

Do something to help you turn off / relax before going to bed. TV, music, reading. I found some Classic Chill Out CDs to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I must say I don't agree with the advice of reading or listening to music. May work for some, but for me that makes my mind more active, unless of course you're reading complete drivel... in which case I wouldn't bother reading it. I mean, why do you read in the first place?

As for music, well as someone mentioned above, I'd start concentrating on the music too much. Instruments, vocals, words - that's why I like music, it keeps my mind active.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that. Doesn't work for me. I haven't found anything that does, so I'm gonna try some of the advice here.

• Advertisement

Loon, aren't you a drummer? How many sessions do you play a week (rehearsing/gigging?) I would have thought that a good four hour rehearsal would be enough to put you out cold when you get home.

I am not an excessively fitness crazy person, but since I started doing regular exercise I find that I am sleeping really well. For the last 11 years I have survived quite happily on 6-7 sleep a night as if I went to bed earlier than 1/1.30 I just couldn't sleep. Being active outdoors really knackers you out and I rehearse twice a week which really knackers me these days as well.

If I were you, I would drum more.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

I used to listen to stand up comedy from my minidisc in bed (with the intention of actually listening to all of it). I can't count the number of times I woke up in the morning with headphones still in my ears, having only heard about 10mins...

I think that with something to listen to you don't have to think about anything yourself, and if it's funny as well then it's a really good way to 'zone out'.

Listening to music is OK for people who arn't musically inclined or can play something. As Loon pointed out it doesn't work for him and neither does it work for me as I tend to dissect the music trying to figure out bits that the musicians are playing. I would imagine same would go for anyone musically inclined as we "hear" music as opposed to just listening to it.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

My sister found a few different types of tapes. I saw some in easons a while back, I saw some in ahealthfood shop called evergreen, here in galway.

I see noog gave you a link there for one- they seem to vary in quality and production values!!

I'd reccomend 'Paul McKenna' . He does a line of cd's and videos, seen as he's famous, your more likely to get a decent product!!

Do a search on google for his stuff....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off, I used to suffer the same thing.
    I couldnt sleep and then I was too tired to sleep, and then its another day without sleep.

First thign you do, STOP DRINKING CAFFINEE, if you do.
    No more coke, coffee, tea, just stop it all.
    Then try and set a time you want ot go to bed at, and just go up and sit in bed with the lights off, eventually you'll just fall asleep.

Before you plan to go to bed, go running. And just keep running and running until you actually can't move anymore, then go home to bed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by patch69
    My sister tends to worry a lot too, she swears by relaxation tapes they play relaxing music and/or speak really calmly to you. In fact, you can get relaxation tapes that aim to aid your studying as well!!:)

Good call, when ever i worry alot it used to relax and think about my daughter when she was born, and think happy thoughts when i go to bed that normally helps plus going out for a walk on sandycove beach. to relax :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Doodee
    I txt'd a few ppl one night, and well, this is the best answer i got:

"Nah u need to relax and sleep. Try emptying your head of all thoughts. Failing that choke the one eyed trouser snake. relaxing and sleep inducing"
    The body releases a sedative after orgasm. ~5 minutes after in men, and ~20 minutes after in women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah usually stress=no sleep :) find some classical music or some deep sleep music u can pick up those cds almost in any music shop id say. my day job is from 8-5 which leaves me tired for a bit, but i continue working at home, sometimes i dont get more than 1 hours sleep at most, seems to be happening a lot lately :) but good luck to u pal

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Of course, you could always try something really far out...

http://www.emofree.com/insomniaitchingdeafness.htm

It's very strange, but very, very effective.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all of your help guys!

At the moment I don't think I'll be able to impliment any of the techniques hehe! Have sooooooo much study to catch up on now due to total procrastination and lack of motivation!

I fully intend to try out the different methods when I'm free of the "pressures" of college!

Ugh! work!

I got to sleep quite early on Thursday night but woke about half an hour later and couldnt get back to sleep!! even though I just lay there for over an hour.... unfortunately recent events have caused my mind to start working overtime trying to resolve some situations in my mind which have been causing particular trouble!

I think I'll concentrate on trying to pass my exams first and then deal with the sleep problem!

Thanks again!

Amz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

I am on meds but they never seemed to work,i got an electric blanket and it does the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I used to listen to stand up comedy from my minidisc in bed
    great advie. Bill hicks helps me fall asleep every night.

The internet and tv keeps me up.
    without them i would be in bed early. ie before 6 am

Advertisement