Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless routers with netsource and anyone heard of elive

Options
  • 08-05-2003 4:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Im interested in signing up to net source
    Does anyone know if you are obligated to buy a modem off them?
    I also want to use a wi-fi router with an integrated modem what will i need to use that with a small home network including a laptop and how will it affect download speeds and ping?
    Are wi-fi routers difficult to set up, I have no experience with networks.
    Does anyone use elive I was on the site tonight but I dont think it looked great first time I have heard of it though.
    I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with my enquiries :D:confused: :ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You don't have to buy their modem.
    Don't know about any of the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

What you need is a netgear wifi adsl modem/router which is a netgear 824m . I got it from dabs.com for 195 sterling and it does everything it says on the tin. Highly recommended as it is very easy to install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Michele

Yes I'm lookin' into it as well. look like some (dsl/cable routers) have the wan port only (RJ45 connector) so you still need a modem. Some have integrated modem and all you need is connecting to the ADSL box. But until we know how netsource can present the adsl connection I think it's a bit premature. I've tried to e-mail them a couple of time already but no reply. As regard ADSL/wireless combo box there are many models out there from dlink, linksys, 3com, cisco, netgear etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

I'm getting the D-link DSL 604+ ,
    supposed to be slightly better than the netgear dg824m
    ( E264 ), more features etc,

The 604 is E278 from Elara.ie

I ordered on Sunday night, still havnt received it :mad:

Good price, but not sure about the service, even though I'm assured they havnt received it from the supplier yet ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008XYIT/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/202-9966879-1630228

Linksys Wireless Ready ADSL Modem Gateway w/4-Port Switch with Wireless PCMCIA Card ...approx €177 from Amazon.co.uk

Best Value out there!!!

Ordered it yesterday. Will let you know how it works

/d.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Thanks for all your suggestions but will going through a router affect the ping a lot.
    A USB DSL modem can increase your ping by 10ms compared to a pci modem so im a bit worried about a router.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 furlong

Chowley I am not a gamer so pings don't really bother me, however my understanding is that you are likely to get a better ping with a router than with USB or PCI especially if you are connecting several PCs over a network.

The download (and ping) running over wifi are dependant on the strength of signal between Laptop and wireless access point (or router). But in reality a bad wife connection is going to be at least as fast as your adsl so it will be bale to keep up.

If the access point and laptop are in the same room then no problem.

If you live in an average house and the access point is high up then probably no problem.

If you live in a castle with 6ft thick stone walls then forget wireless;)

For what it's worth my advice to you would be to get an adsl router, a seperate hub/switch and a seperate wireless access point. Then where possible I would use fixed Cat5 cabling to connect all PCs to the hub/switch. Then connect the wireless access point and adsl router to the hub/switch.

This will give you both wireless and wired access plus it builds in a little bit of resilience. After all if you buy a combined router/switch/wireless and it goes bang you have a dead ADSL connection until it is replaced. With three seperate bits of kit then as long as the router is working you can get online. the more complex and multifunctional the equipment the more likely it is to go boom ;)

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Thanks for the advice Furlong.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by furlong
    .....a bad wife connection.....

You definitely don't want one of those!

Sorry - couldn't resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

I got the Netgear DG824M.

It looks look. Metallice silver...curvey box....intriguing flashing lights.....

How is it perforamce wise? ahhh dunno.... I'm still waiting for Netsource to connect me. I was promised it would be today.

I'll let you know what it is like to configure for netsource, once my line is up.

......this waiting is killing me........

• Advertisement
Advertisement