Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare question.

• 08-05-2003 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Any one out there use vmware? I'm supporting a few different systems that require different ip addresses, different operating systems, dialups etc. Anyway at the moment I have dual boot setup on my laptop to cover this. Rather than rebooting every time I need to change system, ip etc, would vmware be the answer or is it the same difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont use it personally, but i do know 2 large companies that use it and apparently its the mutts nutts.
    i am currently looking to get a copy and look at it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont use it personally, but i do know 2 large companies that use it and apparently its the mutts nutts.
    i am currently looking to get a copy and look at it myself.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am a current VMWare 4.0 user and it is fantastic, I run RED HAT 9.0, Windows 95/98/ME all for testing purposes under VMWAre and it is perfect. Could not be better. Any questions plese post and i will try and answer

• Registered Users Posts: 47 optip

Hi Ding,

I have used it. It supports bridging with your existing network card, allowing the guest operating system to pick up it's own IP address very smoothly.

I have used Windows 98 and (Red Hat) Linux as guest operating systems within VMware with no problems.

You do need a fair bit of memory to run it. There is a 30 day free trial on VMWare so you can get a feel for it before you shell out!

If you have any other questions - do let me know!

/optip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Wow that was quick. I'll get that download and give it a go. On the memory question is 256 mb enough. At most I'd probably have W2K and 1 or 2 guest os open? I was also thinking of putting Mandrake 9.0 on for practice etc. Would it be possible to set up apache, samba and telnet servers on guest os and connect to main os and vice versa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Yep that's all possible - I've used to with web servers, ssh servers etc with no probs

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,645 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by ding
    On the memory question is 256 mb enough?

Have xp pro and windows 2003 server standard edition as guest on vmware4. Have 512MB RAM but this is hardly sufficient. Obviously if you want to run linux, dos, win98 etc, you might be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

its the ****..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    I am a current VMWare 4.0 user and it is fantastic, I run RED HAT 9.0, Windows 95/98/ME all for testing purposes under VMWAre and it is perfect. Could not be better. Any questions plese post and i will try and answer
    Sorry to get off the point but. Leigh will you contact me ASAP re the sale. Cheers.

Advertisement