Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student bank accounts

• 08-05-2003 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me the difference between a student account and a regular account.. you still get charged the €10/year ATM stamp duty.. you still get charged the €40/year for a student credit card.. even though it has a limit lower than most other credit cards..
    I'm with AIB at the moment.. you think they'd cut us students some slack..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Repli
    Can someone tell me the difference between a student account and a regular account.. you still get charged the €10/year ATM stamp duty.. you still get charged the €40/year for a student credit card.. even though it has a limit lower than most other credit cards..
    I'm with AIB at the moment.. you think they'd cut us students some slack..

It's not up to AIB. The govt charge you the stamp duty. Whether you have a €100 or €100000 limit, the stamp duty is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    It's not up to AIB. The govt charge you the stamp duty. Whether you have a €100 or €100000 limit, the stamp duty is the same.
    You're missing the point.. I thought the whole idea of student accounts was that they cost less.. and encourage the student to stay with the bank when they start working after college.. if I opened an ordinary bank account, I could get a credit card with a decent limit for the same price €40/year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Repli
    You're missing the point.. I thought the whole idea of student accounts was that they cost less.. and encourage the student to stay with the bank when they start working after college.. if I opened an ordinary bank account, I could get a credit card with a decent limit for the same price €40/year..

My point is that other benefits are given to students (discounted loans, no fees etc) - why should a bank pay your taxes as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You get free banking, not free taxes.

Advertisement