Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Consumption - Honda Accord 2.0

Options
  • 08-05-2003 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Greetings All ,
    Just wondering would anyone know what fuel consumption figures a 97 Honda Accord 2.0 would return . I'm driving a Vectra 1.6 but love the Accord's and am just wondering if it would be an awful lot more expensive to run , I know my insurance would increase dramatically so wouldn't really be prepared to shell out much more paying for juice !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

My da had a 95 Accord 2.0Ls and he would get 30-35 mpg with it. Sometimes better or worse. I'd imagine it would be a bit more than the 1.6 Vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And overall how did he find the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

would you be going for a VTEC Accord ?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

He loved it and he went for the newer model when it came out in 1999, which he described at the time as being the best car he ever had.

Ondafly ,
    My insurance company would be delighted to hear I was going to change to a Vtec and in turn be equally delighted to increase my premium by 75% !!

No I couldn't !!

• Advertisement

you might be surprised. If you give me the exact model numbers of Accords you are interested in - i might be able to find out - altough I won't know until Monday

VTEC is great and I love every minute of it - its worth it [;)]

Heres a quick example

1890cc '99 Accord S VTEC is group 13
    1997cc '98 Accord LS is group 15 (unsure if this one has VTEC though)

My Integra is group 17 unfortunetly :(

Where can this info be found ?

By way of comparison what insurance group does the 1997 1.6GL 4 Door saloon Vectra fall into ?

Isn't the 1890 CC regarded as a 1.8 ?

The Accord I have in mind is 2.0 , a dealer near by has two and I might go and see them this evening !!

How much would you expect to pay for one ('97 2.0 Litre ) ? I would prefer a 1.8 but 2.0 is all he has in stock right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by tinofapples
    Where can this info be found ?

Here you go

UK based mind

I'm gonna have a look now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Forget about insurance groups as they do not apply here to the same extend as in UK.
    I am sure Irish companies are aware of this plus we have special premium multiplier and looks like there is additional cost for:
    - every "i" and "r" which could be found in your model description
    -cool factor or should I say demand factor
    -don't mention VTEC

My quotes from allianz :

Honda CIVIC LSI 1.5 = 1380E's (UK GROUP 12)

Honda Civic 1.6 ESi =1765E's (UK GROUP 14)
    Integra 1.6 = 1832E's

BMW 318i 4dr =1320E's (UK GROUP 12)
    Mondeo 1.8 Zetec 5dr Hatchback 1250E's (UK GROUP 9)

Passat 1.9 S TDi (110 bhp) 4d Saloon 1997 2430E.s !!!! (Group11)
    850 2.0 (10v) 5d Estate 2.650 E's (Group12)

What the FF.....ck 2430Euro for 1.9 TDI Passat.

It just doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

So it is
    Honda 2.0i 31.4 MPG

Went out to see it , the guy told me someone had it gone with a view to buying it to call back today or over the weekend .

In the meantime I rang my good old insurance company , they quoted me an extra €385 on my current policy to change to this car .

That , added with the extra Tax (€600 I think ) has put me off one of my favourite cars for the moment anyway .

This country sucks big time !!

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Forget about insurance groups as they do not apply here to the same extend as in UK.

Hate to tell you this - but groupings are used - the public just aren't told about it. The above groupings i gave are from an Irish Insurance Company - how I got them is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

That , added with the extra Tax (€600 I think ) has put me off one of my favourite cars for the moment anyway .

Don't give in! Pay the extra money and drive a better car!

I recently paid 2 grand insurance and 750 for tax on my MB E240 A/Garde. Yeah I am only 26 but christ is it worth it!

Believe it or not I've not given up hope just yet. I checked out insurance on the web site 123.ie and I can get 3rd party on the Accord for €1200 where as fully comp on my Vectra is €1400.

I've been talking to the seller and asked him how much he'd give me for mine , he said roughly my car and a thousand , i said i'd hope to get a bit more for mine (As you do) and I reckon he'll budge.

Anyway he still hasn't got it back yet but will on Wednesday

I've been checking prices Accords are making :

97 1.8 45 k miles €7950
    97 1.8 LS 86 k miles €6950

Now I know how much my Vectra is worth and it ain't either of those figures or even close .

His asking price for the car is €4500 with only 60 k on the clock . I have to see the car yet but it sounds very reasonable.

Opinions ?

Captain Trips , you are inspiring me !!

BTW how much exactly is Tax on a 2.0 litre car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

make sure the timing belt is done - have a feeling its due at 60K

if it is a VTEC, make sure it kicks in an the appropriate times, mine is dual stage, so kicks first at 4500 then again at 5500 - its more noticeable at 5500rpm.

If its not a VTEC, hondas have great torque at about 3000rpm.

It should probably idle at about 750rpm - when its fully warmed up.

Well, Ondafly,
    Just read my previous post again.

How about getting the AA to check it? They do that for a fee don't they?

For 1901cc to 2001cc it's 513 euros, 656 for 2001cc.

There's a diminishing benefit for goign with a smaller car. I changed from a 1.4litre Astra to the 2.4 V6 Benz. My premium went up from around 1500 euros fully comp open driving to 2000 and something. Basically I figured why not pay the cash - seeing as you are paying a ****load *anyway* to even get a small engine.

E.g, good standard sized engine would be say 1.8. That 460 quid. So pay only 290 quid extra and drive a tank. Same with insurance - 1500 to drive an econobox or add 500 on top and drive a tank. Made sense to me. Better than spending it on beer................

• Advertisement

I rang my insurance company (Quinn Direct) to get a Third Party quote for the car , they don't do Third Party only , TPF&T so asked for a quote for that , €235.11 on top of my current premium .

Major thinking has to be done.

Well , I finally got to see the car this morning . Nice Met Blue colour , the inside is a bit messy but that can be cleaned easily enough.

There's actually 85 K on the clock , took it for a spin noticed a nasty sound coming from the front wing which turned out to be a CV joint which he said he'd look after during the full service he'd do before I took it .

A very nice comfortable car to drive and a bit more power than my Vectra !! : )

4 x Elec Win , Elec Sun , Elec Mirr , Twin Airbags , ABS . I don't think it has Central Locking though which is handy .

Got him down to €800

Might do business !!

I'll let ye know

Any further opinions ?

What should I get my mechanic friend to check for ?

Check the valve seals (I think that's what they are called) to see if they are seated properly. It affects oil consumption. And check oil consumption to make sure it's not drinking the stuff.

How do you suggest I check fuel consumption ?

Advertisement