Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 CPU Temperature

• 08-05-2003 5:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how hot other folks P4's are running. I'm not interested in OC or anything yet;)
    P4 2.4ghz
    Idle 47C / Max load 55C-59C
    I think the above can go to 78 before it starts stepping down, but I'm not sure. I think I'll get another fan anyway:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

P4 1.8a@2.4ghz runs 32c at idle but in normal use and gaming its more like 42-52c. Using a P4 Zalman flower at the quiet setting. Yours seems to be running a little hot than I'd have expected, but its miles within its acceptable limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

P4 2.53 @ 2.850 standard retail cooler. Idle 38. Load on a hot day 45-48c

My ram is my bottle neck. Damn RDRAM :(

Praetorian - What are your settings for the P4?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Right put in new fan and things have cooled down a bit
    idle 43C max load 51-53C
    Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the heat sink and fan that came with the processor? Board supports 3ghz and beyond so might OC

Alpha PAL8942 T
    Thermalright SLK-900
    Thermalright AX-478
    Zalman CNPS7000-Cu
    Zalman Flower CNPS6500B-AlCu

• Advertisement

Cheers:)
    Who supply's these in Ireland? Komplett or will I have to shop abroad?

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Cheers:)
    Who supply's these in Ireland? Komplett or will I have to shop abroad?

You'd have to check the Komplett site, I'm not sure if they stock them. Why shop in Ireland when its more expensive than ordering them from the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I have a L4S5MG motherboard, with a 1.8gig celeron, it can go up to 2.6 gig, but some of my friends said if i put a 2.6 gig chip into it,then i risk damaging the board, but could i pull it off , if i upgrade it to 2.6 gig, and put a heatsink into it that cools intel chips capable of 2.8gigs? Would it be enough to keep it cool for stable operation without damaging the motherboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

19 x 150.

My CPU could do 3ghz without too much hastle...my ram however is a major problem. RDRAM is too expensive to buy now aswell :/

Roll on september for my Athlon 64 ;)

Originally posted by magick
    I have a L4S5MG motherboard, with a 1.8gig celeron, it can go up to 2.6 gig, but some of my friends said if i put a 2.6 gig chip into it,then i risk damaging the board, but could i pull it off , if i upgrade it to 2.6 gig, and put a heatsink into it that cools intel chips capable of 2.8gigs? Would it be enough to keep it cool for stable operation without damaging the motherboard?

Exactly how is it meant to damage the motherboard? I doubt that it would be heat related. Any Retail PIV 2.8 Intel HS would more than enough I reckon. But find out exactly what they mean or is it just some techobabble!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Roll on september for my Athlon 64

Please enlighten me...whats the Ahtlon 64 like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

my p4 2.4GHz runs at about 46c idle, never seems to go above 50c. even when i overclock to 2.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dj_deevey

P4 (willimette)1.6 running at 2.1 something (16x125) gig, standard Cooler, AsRock Gpro (asus group) motherboard,

Only OC'd this chip in the last 2 onths, had to downgrade my bios to do it though, stable as hell and only running a max of 41 degrees under load (32 at idle)

Im getting nearly 40 % more power judging by Sandra 2003 (tested it normally first)

does this seem right ?

hell im not complaining

Originally posted by nadir
    my p4 2.4GHz runs at about 46c idle, never seems to go above 50c. even when i overclock to 2.8

From other folks I've talked to this seems to be the standard for the p4 2.4ghz chip. The only time I've seen the temp go to 58-60 on my system was when I was playing AvP2 at full whack;) So still got a lot to go before it gets into trouble.

I've decided to get myself one of these from Peats:) Couldn't be arsed waiting for DHL so will run in and get it tomorrow.

Thats what I have on mine (P4 1.8a@2.4) works very well.

Advertisement