Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via. The verdict.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

As in doing a telnet on it? I've tried telnetting my modem but it's never worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

No, through IE or netscape. It goes to an http interface for all the configs etc.

Depends on the modem; you need to read your modem's manual.

If yours is through USB, it'll be an application in Programs or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

hate that...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I'd say it's the DSL line to the exchange that is noisey or has intereference, or (and it a remote possibility) the port on the dslam is not so hot.

The modem isn't training up to full speed, meaning there is too much interference/noise. It's nothing to do with pings of network routing.

You need to check your phone lines, preferably disconnect all phones, and make sure you have the splitter plugged in right (which was done by the techy, right?).

What make and model modem? It would be useful to get line stats from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

^Link fixed^ ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Q? are you useing a USB modem that they gave you ?
    USB has higher ping than a network card setup.

your ping
    1 69 ms 62 ms 62 ms rt004dub.netsource.ie [213.79.63.254]
    that was your first hop and thats not a bad ping
    for RADSL it's not great but depending on where you
    are and the qualite of the line.
    (plus what ever the interleaveing setting needed for you)

this is a ping to newsource.ie from my 1mb dsl line
    from www.netsource.ie
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=122

now if i ping eircom.net i get 60ms
    from www.eircom.net
    Reply from 159.134.237.56: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=60

and the first outside hop on my 1mb takes 50ms
    2 50 ms 50 ms 50 ms

so your not that bad.
    try downloading from www.microsoft.com and see what speed you can get?

so your getting 62ms to your first hop. now i don't know where your playing xbox live but if the server is in the USA then it's not the RADSL that is the problem it's the route it takes to the US + there will be some lag playing on servers in the US.

Coyote

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    This should shed some light, Sloth; can you get your modem to give you the Signal-to-Noise ratio of your line? I was the first on Netsource, and it's been rock solid 55kB/s and jolt ping 32ms. My SNR is typically 18 (+-2) dB. This will indicate whether it's a cr@p line or something technical.

Hi disco_rub_funk, any chance you could do a ping and tracert (traceroute) to both boards and jolt and then post the results to the following thread: Broadband pings/download speed.

Just for the record.

I'm very interested in the results.

Cheers.

The modem is the Prestige 645M supplied by ZyXel and is the modem thats supplied by via so if anyone knows how to do a test on that let me know. The splitter was installed by the engineer yes. Every test Via have done says that the line is ok and clear and in perfect working order but that doesn't exactly seem to be the case from this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

Well with a 56 k , here are the results :
    ================================
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Pinging www.netsource.ie [212.17.32.48] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=120

Ping statistics for 212.17.32.48:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 119ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 124ms
    ================================

Now being selfish, Sloth , are you near clondlakin ?

Nope, I live in Castleknock although atm I wish I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Sloth
    The modem is the Prestige 645M supplied by ZyXel and is the modem thats supplied by via so if anyone knows how to do a test on that let me know. The splitter was installed by the engineer yes. Every test Via have done says that the line is ok and clear and in perfect working order but that doesn't exactly seem to be the case from this end.
    Make sure Netsource is testing the line and not simply reading off the results of the database line test which could be out of date.

Make sure they are testing for the product they have supplied, ie. the SME product which I believe is ADSL and not RADSL.

Try and get an engineer around to test with his own modem and laptop. This will isolate the problem to the line if indeed that is what is at fault.

Yeah the engineer had exactly the same speeds as I did when he tested it. I definitly ordered the soho package and they definitly confirmed that interleaving was off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Sloth
    Yeah the engineer had exactly the same speeds as I did when he tested it. I definitly ordered the soho package and they definitly confirmed that interleaving was off.
    OK, I thought you were getting their middle package. Their SOHO is the bottom level one which I thought was 48:1.

Did the engineer get cut off continuously?

No because it happens randomly, I mean it can be grand for a few hours and then it'll suddenly start acting up on me. Even if it is SoHo the results definitly shouldn't be this bad lets be honest.
    Coyote it's a ethernet modem and I'm getting download speeds from microsoft of between 15k and 20k.

There is info here about your modem

http://www.zyxel.com/support/knowledgebase.php

particularly under xDSL point.

One of the issues mentions that if the line is noisey and it doesnt train up to full speed (512) that every now and again it'll retrain, ie. drop the link and attempt to get a better link. But this can lead to a bit of a yo-yo situation. There are apparently ways to turn this behaviour off. see
    http://www.zyxel.com/support/knowledgebase1.php?indexFlagvalue=1021698248&level=3&upFlag=1021682379

You can telnet to 192.168.1.1 (by default) and password 1234 I think.

I dont know this box, so ... it's up to you to decide what to do with the info on the site.

This forum isn't the best place to try and debug a live system.

Just a warning. Via/Netsource seem to be very busy at the mo, what with all the orders, so customer support service levels may be suffering slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Wish I'd been here earlier.

Sloth, first of all you need to verify what type of broadband service you actually have, you claim its RADSL but it appears to be ADSL.

Secondly, regardless of which dsl it is, the results are still substandard and this is essentially a support post.

Moving to broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Coyote

this is a ping to newsource.ie from my 1mb dsl line
    from www.netsource.ie
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=122

now if i ping eircom.net i get 60ms
    from www.eircom.net
    Reply from 159.134.237.56: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=60

I'm getting exactly the same pings on a 1Mb eircom line. Surely pings will be different depending on which DSLAM you are jacked into?

You don't live in Santry do you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sloth,

There still seems to be confusion as to which service you have.

Can you confirm are you paying

A) EUR 66 per month (EUR 54 per month + domian EUR 12). (EUR 45 + EUR 10 excl VAT).

or

B) EUR 107 per month (EUR 89 Excl VAT)
    (This would be EUR 119 per month inluding Domain name and VAT).

(A) above is 48:1 contention RADSL
    (B) is 24:1 contention ADSL

This info would help in solving why your having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

yo bk, pings/routes posted as requested
    RC

• Advertisement

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    yo bk, pings/routes posted as requested
    RC

Thanks disco_rob_funk that is great.

The tracert to boards.ie is a bit strange it seems they aren't peered in Ireland, but have to go through the UK, even for Irish traffic.

To confirm this, would you mind doing a tracert to a view other Irish sites, for instance:

www.iol.ie
    www.ireland.com
    www.rte.ie
    www.ucc.ie
    www.netsource.ie

From IOL NoLimits (56k dial up), with the exception of netsource.ie, these all stay within Ireland (through INEX).

Sorry disco_rob_funk, I don't mean to use you like a guinea pig ;) but I'm very interested in the results.

If they are peering through the UK, hopefully with all their new DSL customers they will be able to afford to get a spot in the INEX. After all, we all want to be able to access boards.ie as quickly as possible :)

BTW My average pings from IOL Nolimits 56k dial up is 90 - 95ms to Irish sites!! This is quiet good and shows just how badly interleaving was effecting Eircoms DSL products.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Sloth,

I had disconnect problems for months with Eircom's Solo using their Ethernet modem. I had many of your experiences with slow connects, and was restarting PC constantly to reconnect or try to improve speed. I had the sympathetic support staff in i-Stream driven up the wall with calls, (but they never gave up on the problem). I had tried 3 operating systems and 4 different PPPOE clients.

My first serious attack on the problem was to remove all PCI cards of an optional type from the PC. This gave an instantly improved situation. The disconnects all but vanished. I ran with this for two weeks and it stayed stable at that level. Sorry, no ping stats, but subjectively, web site speeds etc., it seemed up to par.

I had decided I wanted a Router anyway, and slotted that in when I got it. This nailed the performance down rock solid, and I have not had a disconnect in two months, while I get 55-60 KBps from serious downloads.

I am now convinced that a PC is not a good place to run a DSL connection, as it may be a hostile environment for many reasons. The ADSL Router keeps the connection upstream from the PC, and takes the PC hardware/software environment out of the equation.

If you can afford it, go for a Router with Wi-Fi and the most features you can afford. Then you can play with strange Satellite and TV cards etc in the PC, knowing that the DSL connection is being handled by a professional piece of kit.

I know that there are many variables in a problem like this, but just giving my experiences as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Heres a trace from Esats 512k 90/month business package.

These times are nuts in comparision for Eircom/VIA :-)

1 lo1.bas501.cwt.esat.net (193.95.136.176) 20.554 ms 10.389 ms 10.549 ms
    2 vlan501.rt501.cwt.esat.net (193.95.137.124) 11.518 ms vlan500.rt502.cwt.esat.net (193.95.136.125) 11.210 ms vlan500.rt501.cwt.esat.net (193.95.136.124) 11.743 ms
    3 vlan54.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com (193.95.130.161) 10.505 ms vlan53.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com (193.95.130.153) 10.041 ms vlan54.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com (193.95.130.161) 26.285 ms
    4 ge0-0.core002.cwt.esat.net (193.95.129.18) 10.486 ms 10.255 ms 9.837 ms
    5 pos2-0.br001.inex.esat.net (193.95.131.6) 11.336 ms 10.995 ms 11.329 ms
    6 fa0-0.ipr1.dub2.ie.insnet.cw.net (193.1.208.205) 11.568 ms 11.557 ms 11.796 ms
    7 62.221.31.9 (62.221.31.9) 13.289 ms 12.516 ms 12.786 ms
    8 62.221.2.78 (62.221.2.78) 12.562 ms 12.506 ms 13.286 ms
    9 217.114.160.11 (217.114.160.11) 11.817 ms 14.244 ms 12.793 ms

For some reason the last hop times out but... :-), thats gives an accurate result IMO:

Below is pings to the same:

64 bytes from 217.114.166.147: icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=13.5 ms
    64 bytes from 217.114.166.147: icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=15.9 ms
    64 bytes from 217.114.166.147: icmp_seq=6 ttl=55 time=14.2 ms
    64 bytes from 217.114.166.147: icmp_seq=7 ttl=55 time=13.9 ms
    64 bytes from 217.114.166.147: icmp_seq=8 ttl=55 time=14.3 ms

Regards,

Paul

Sloth,
    I'm starting to think your modem may be just mis-configured. The info from your modem supplier suggested that if it was wrongly configured for rate adaption (RADSL) but was actually connected to regular ADSL, it would give that type of behaviour you're seeing, ie. lots of disconnects. I'm thinking you're one of a small minority on netsource that have not gone for the RADSL package, they, in the mayhem of the current situation, have potentially just given you the wrong modem config.

Flamegrill,
    Esat's more expensive options have interleaving turned off, hence better pings. These esat offerings use their own dslams and hence are configured just like they are all over the UK, ie. fast mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

...and think of the hope ya gave some of us when you mentioned a "24:1" RADSL product from Netsource.

Thats all gone now.

I hate USB kit when it goes wrong, I really really do.

M

Originally posted by James Melody
    I'm getting exactly the same pings on a 1Mb eircom line. Surely pings will be different depending on which DSLAM you are jacked into?

You don't live in Santry do you?

no they should not be different, all the dslams are connected
    back to the same place in town.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

We are connected to INEX. However, we're not currently peering with cw.net there because despite sending emails to them asking them to set up peering we've had no response as yet.

Also, Sloth would have been doing the traceroutes last night when the link to the INEX would have been out as a result of a upgrade to the circuit breaking. I'm currently chasing the relevant telco now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Coyote
    no they should not be different, all the dslams are connected
    back to the same place in town.

Coyote

I would have thought, that there is a signal transfer time at every stage. Even if everything is going to the same fat pipe, if you are 1KM from the exchange and I am 3KM from the exchange, there should be a different time for the data to send and return?

I would have thought, that there is a signal transfer time at every stage.
    yes there is a delay at ever point along the route.
    Even if everything is going to the same fat pipe, if you are 1KM from the exchange and I am 3KM from the exchange, there should be a different time for the data to send and return?

the time taken for infomation to travel over the copper cable takes less than 1ms it's the hardware that adds a small bit each time. for very long lines they use Fiber Optic cable (Ireland - USA)

Have a look at this for more info on how your PC is conncted to the Net

Coyote

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thomasb
    We are connected to INEX. However, we're not currently peering with cw.net there because despite sending emails to them asking them to set up peering we've had no response as yet.
    /B]

Thanks thomasb, this is great to hear, it isn't really a major issue, but it is great to see that netsource listen to peoples complaints and respond quickly.

I'll be ordering netsource next week :)

Keep the pressure up on Cable & Wireless.

Cheers,
    brian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement