Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Fluff Piece on Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Guys has anyone else received this in there e-mail today
    [sceptre - snipped as per request from Shin. Can't extend the time limit on editing (it's something the admins have put in (a feature, not a bug) but we're happy to do it for you]

Shin

Fame at last

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ha-ha, Boards strikes again. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yar, I sent em a piece of my mind on that downright awful piece, my jaw was stuck dropped to the floor as I watched them spew crap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by shinzon
    Guys has anyone else received this in there e-mail today
    I suspect you'll be in the minority contacted. You do have an interesting story to tell after all. If all our emails get you on the telly for 10 seconds mentioning your story I'd regard it as a good day's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fluffybunny

Lads, don't think any of you actually SAW the TV3 report. The reporter didn't say the irish public aren't interested in broadband, I specifically watched the news twice that day to check. In fairness, they were covering the launch of a new company in a one minute report, not doing an indepth documentary on broadband. Whether we liked it or not, they didn't say the public weren't interested. Look forward to the follow-up, now it may get the attention it deserves

• Advertisement

I saw the report and they did say that at the Irish were not interested in broadband right at the very end of the piece.

Please get facts right before posting again

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by shinzon

Thank you for you comments regarding broadband. We are indeed interested in
    doing a follow-up piece on the lack of availability of broadband in Ireland.
    Shin

Fame at last

:p

Right Shin, thats what I call a result.

Now heres what ya do.

1. Start new thread (retire the Rant) , subject " Broadband Availability (Not! Actually) in Waterford " or similar

2. Collect hard data on the number of persons who

A) Pass the initial test (based on your phone number)
    B) Fail the second test (based on your line quality)

3. A failure rate of 25-30% is unacceptable where

A) You are ALL within 2 miles of the exchange
    B) The lines are underground
    C) Try not to put persoons forward who are over 2 miles away.

Gather FACTS and ONLY facts. Names, times , phone numbers

Make sure TV3 can meet anyone you quote in support or at least phone them to check the story.

WLR and the Local papers will pick up the story straight away from TV3, give them the same facts.

You'd be amazed at what bad publicity will do, it could be the test equipment in Waterford is wrongly set up by Eircom or that the lines in Waterford are shockingly bad , no matter. It must be dealt with promptly by Eircom.

M

Will do muck

Ok guys the rant and rave thread is now retired

New thread coming could someone make that a sticky please so it doesnt drop off the first page

SHIN

muck going to modify your post as the first post on the new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fluffybunny

Buddy, I saw the report TWICE. I'm just stating a fact. You're incorrect

Not getting into a flame war but no i saw it and thats what they said this is now off topic

SHIN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Ok im not the type of guy that can handle interviews so does anyone want to step in in my place PLEASE! PM me with your details an ill pass them on :)

==============================================

==============================================

HELP!!

OHP /me hides :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Magic? eh, simply proves the *power of the pen, once again!.
    Much more effective than trying to resolve an important issue than talking to some faceless wonder by telephone.

A great result, for IOFFL and its members which should hopefully help educate *Joe Public & the commercial sector, in relation to Eircoms misleading shenanigans in blocking the availability of a {fairly priced} - *Broadband & *FRIACO - 24/7 Internet access service, for all Irish citizens.

A kick in the teeth for Eircom is on its way!, I hope?...

Paddy20

;)

Muck, step up the plate and throw and few nasty facts at TV3 there head.

adam

Dangger, Duty calls?, Please step forward tonight!

Good luck, not that you need it! you could do a whole programme for TV3 on the *complete story or TV3, and what a scoop it would be for them!.

Paddy20.

has anyone stepped upto the plate for the sunday interview

shin

dont look at me by the way ive got my plate full

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Can you call me with the details? 087-2643299.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Well thanks for all your help. :rolleyes:

OHP

If you still around dangger has replied to the post about sunday ring him

SHIN

OHP,

Yeah, strike while the iron is hot!. Ring Dangger, ASAP!

Paddy20;)

If you could please, I'll have it on another few hours. Was there a contact number with the email? Surely if this person was looking for contact tomorrow she would have included a number, perhaps you could forward me the mail at chairman@irelandoffline.org? Not forgetting....great work!

David Long
    087-2643299

• Advertisement

To, TV3, Programming.

Att: Aisling,

The Reporter or Producer who contacted shinzon re:- Broadband! could you or one of your colleagues at TV3 kindly contact our Chairman, David Long on 087-2643299 regarding this ery important issue!.

Surely, someone at TV3 programming must be keeping an eye on this Forum thread?...

Just my 2cs worth.

Paddy20.

N.B. The need and the right of your viewers to be informed of the real truth regarding the obstacles to Internet access, inflated costs etc, is IMHO worthy of a programme in its own right as well as a three {3} minute news item!.

Suggestion!.

If *Aisling from TV3 has not as yet, contacted David our Chairman & obvious IOFFL spokesperson.

Then this is an opportunity for an IOFFL Committee member to telephone the TV3 {Newsroom} as if the interview was planned that quickly, it sounds like a newsroom speed reaction.

In any case there will not be that many Aislings at TV3 so they probably know her and how to contact her.

It would seem more appropriate IMHO that someone from the IOFFL Committee proposes our Chairman who is willing and available for interview. Rather than leaving it up too him to contact TV3 directly, although if he has to he should ! Go on David, nothing to lose, everything to gain?.

He who hesitates, is lost!.

I do not see you getting lost, under any circumstances.

Good luck.

Paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

As reply at 09.38 from aisling O'Loughlin:

I take it she seen the: please contact our chairman post
    or will I send a copy to her?

[mod edit: reply from Aisling deleted as per info from shinzon below. Just to be nice (I didn't spend four years doing law without knowing something about what lawyers wouldn't be happy about]

Ive received an e-mail from aisling o louglin at TV3, i cant reprint anything to do with the e-mail as per aislings requst, shes asked me to ask you that anyone who has reprinted her e-mail regarding her interview with anyone remove it from here immediately (please dont shoot the messenger its a request from her only), also i need to edit some of my posts but the expiry date for editing the posts has expired so if an admin could extend the period of time that i can edit that would be aprreciated.

Also whoever has gotten a request from her for interview please get back to her as shes anxious to do the piece and it doesnt look good if all of you go quiet on the matter. I myself am reconsidering doing the piece, all i wanted was to get broadband in my house, im no crusader, anyone who wants to do it do it

this was and is your chance

Shin

Ive declined the interview with TV3 and apologised profusely to aisling and tv3

please remove this post immeditely from the boards, this isnt anything to do with whats relevant anymore

Please just remove this and let that be an end to this mess

SHIN

piet,

Yes, please send the *Contact our Chairman post to Aisling at TV3. I am sure David Long can turn this to the advantage of all IOFFL members, and if given the *airtime & opportunity ? - he could clear up a lot of myths about the need for FRIACO and BROADBAND Internet access 24/7 at a reasonable price, as needed by both private citizens, and the Commercial economic sector in the Republic of Ireland.

The truth must be exposed! and perhaps a programme like AGENDA on TV3 would be a good platform, as well as a short 3 minute News item insert?.

Paddy20.

shinzon & OHP, It is only natural to be nervous or anxious about doing a national TV News interview! no harm in that, especially when considering your sterling work in bringing this issue to the attention of TV3s News Team. A fine achievement which I hope will benefit all sorely exploited Internet users!, Good luck. ;)

shinzon,

I have just spoken to David Long. He is contacting the TV3 News room team straight away. So, relax - no panic needed!.

David is more than willing to do the interview today if possible with *Aisling. I notice that TV3 have a news bulletin at 5.00pm, which leaves plenty of time for the interview to be recorded!.

Do not worry, leave TV3 to our Chairman, David Long. It will remove any pressure being put on you or anyone else by a professional TV reporter/newshound.

As far as I can see "No malice of forethought" was meant towards any TV3 Newsteam reporter by any posts on this thread!.

Remember, TV newsrooms are very hectic hothouses where arguments are regarded as the norm? I feel sure that after David has talked to Aisling everything should thereafter be all sweetness and light.

Except, maybe for a certain monopolistic telecoms company that used to be a responsible public service utility!.

All the best.

Paddy20;)

i talked to david long myself just now, im afraid the post has to be taken down

regards shin

Yes I've spoken with many of you on this matter and mailed TV3 officially. Thank you for the information and the effort on this.

Can I suggest that in future initiation of media contact, people mention the existance of the organsiation IrelandOffline and include the url of the *official* web site which is www.irelandoffline.org . There are contact details for the committee and we do our best to keep the site as up to date as we can. It also contains a lot of details on our lobbying efforts and gives insight into our work.

There is a separation between the official site and this forum on boards due to the possibility of comments being taken out of context on the forum, and the fact that the committee themselves due not moderate this forum.

In light of the public inaccuracies stated in this thread relating to the actual TV3 piece, I think a binning is called for, but I should add that I'm in discussion with TV3 about doing a follow up piece during the coming week.

• Advertisement

What exactly was the problem here? There weren't any contact details in that email, and even if there were, why not just remove the contact details?

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement