Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing Thrilling about 'THE THRILLS'

Options
  • 08-05-2003 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

I think The Thrills are the most uninspiring ,boring, repetive over rated , band yet to evolve from the 'hype filled' Irish music scene.Phew.Where as there are lots of good and great known and unkown Irish bands I think that a band like 'The thrills' who have enjoyed radio succes , in my opinion, solely on the basis of shrewd business management and effective promotion is not the makings of a great band.What do you think.Do the Thrills suck Donkey or can you enlighten me on what i am missing out on?(and please dont mention 'californian sun spoke grooves man')Laters :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Cindy Love

oops i meant Sun Soaked grooves lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

Oh cindy! such a clever pun. u are hilarity personified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Weeeelllll.....
    if you dont like them then how can someone point out something to you that you're missing?? If ya dont like them then you don't like them end of story...
    And I think the whole thing about saying bands only get airplay because of hype sounds like jealousy to me.. at the end of the day if nobody likes a band then no amount of hype is gonna keep them around.
    As for the Thrills specifically, I quite like their singles... i'm partial to a nice bit of harmony. And i've seen them live once and they're a HELL of a lot more polished than any other Dublin act i've seen the last coupla years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Oh by the way Mr.Gump...
    I think you should change your name to Mr.Gimp...!:D :D:D

Oh I crack myself up!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Right, let me get settled

*shifts around in chair*

First off, the guitarist went to my school, which gives me a motive to like them, i dunno why, but it does.

Second of all, after soending some time in California last summer, and listening to the beach boys all day, hearing the Thrills brings back lots of hazy memories of yesteryear

Thirdly, when have a you heard an irish band sound like this before? They're refreshing to the music scene, and like someone said above, if a band is bad, no amount of publicity is going to make them popular.

In conclusion my my hypothical thesis on the workings of a struggling alpha male group molesting their instruments as to make good vibrations, i like them, and that's all that matters to me.

[/end rant]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i don't really want hear inspiring bands every time the radio comes on, there not perticularly great.... but i wouldn't turn the radio off once they come on... it's pretty easy to listen to thier stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

radio friendly.

I won't be buying any of their stuff, not really my taste but they are definitely radio friendly

i.e. short enough songs, easy listening, causes you to to incontrolably tap your hand on the car door/steering wheel etc. (if you're in a car of course) or move your shoulders a bit. No need to be ashamed, come on you've done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

they should stick playing rugby and drinking heinnnoooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Whats that got to do with anything? They may be D4 head but they make good musc (in my opinion) and thats all that matters.

I quite like The Beach Boys and other 'Sun Soaked grove' type band hense i like The Thrills.

Nothing thrilling about The Thrills - how long did it take to come up with that one a whole 3 seconds? Its been repeated to death aswell so marks there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

the reason the thrills dont sound like any other irish/dublin band is because they sound so fu^cking american......where did the singer get that american drawl,,,,,,,,,hanginnnnn a round a whoneee horse town indeed.....ive met american people who dont even sound THAT AMERICAN........A BIT MORE BANTRY BAY AND A BIT LESS USA LADS.other wise there not that bad after all there is alot worse trying to get away with alot more out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

The thrills hurt me ....like watching starving children hurts me ...sorry to be so negative , we played with them when supporting Turn, they were unfriendly , disrespectful , out of tune and didnt know who Turn were and were given the gig as a favour...from that day on I have had a really strong dislike for them.....and yes I am a bitter twisted moany f*cker because of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Have to say that I can't stand them - so retro it hurts.

What the Follicle are you talkin about? ''They should stick to rugby and drinking henooooooo''

C.B.C. Monkstown is NOT D4, neither is Glenageary where they're from. pffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Trev M
    The thrills hurt me ....like watching starving children hurts me ...sorry to be so negative , we played with them when supporting Turn, they were unfriendly , disrespectful , out of tune and didnt know who Turn were and were given the gig as a favour...from that day on I have had a really strong dislike for them.....and yes I am a bitter twisted moany f*cker because of it!

That wasn't by any chance a gig with Future Kings of Spain playing support also at TBMC? I saw Thrills that night and man did they suck with their twee little banjo playing and wimpy vocals.

Something I noticed was that back then they all (except the lead singer in fairness) used to have short haircuts and now they've all, to a man, adopted the 'greasy long haired strokes look', an image choice which should officially be recognised as alarm-bell number 1 for any musical-elistest who wants to quickly spot an up-and-coming bunch of phonies.

yes, beacause the sound of the thrills and the strokes are sooooo alike right ? and no one else has long hair in the whole entire world, no? ur making bs comparisons

Originally posted by Funkstard
    yes, beacause the sound of the thrills and the strokes are sooooo alike right ? and no one else has long hair in the whole entire world, no? ur making bs comparisons

Hey ComicBookGuy, read my post. I never compared the music of those two bands. What I said that when 4 guys with no distingushing features (fashionwise) all suddenly and similtaneously decide to adopt the 'look' of the latest musical press darlings then it was more than just a personal decision (and probably not even their decision either.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dan-Solo

I think the main problems I have with the Thrills are that their anemic attempt an jangly rock guitar is a joke, and the fact that they fit in so well on 2FM and the Ray Darcy show (its a work thing, I don't always get to pick the station) tells us just about everything we need to know about them. Saw them support Morrissey about 6 months ago. I was kinda hoping they'd be a no hit wonder and I'd never hear them again.

Pigman - I believe it was that very gig!!! Im Bitter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Cindy Love

So guys what can we do .Bombard their official message board?Let me know.They do suck donkey.....

[start rant]

Why do you all feel the need to ''bombard their message board'' just to get a point across? You don't like them, fair enough, there's no need to go moaning to the whole world. And before you say anything, i'm not claiming to be a God on this matter, i have been known to publicly bash a band 'cos i don't like them, but i realised what's the point? I mean, c'mon, you can't refute that they are a breath of fresh air to the irish music scene, enough of this moany indie stuff, and so what if they are radio friendly, if that's you're reason for not liking them, go off and listen to some Limp Bizkit.

And for the 'cool dude' who called me so wittily 'comicbookguy', if you judge a band on appearences instead of their music, there's something stupidly wrong about that and you know it well. I don't believe that you're like that, i just think you're trying to find an excuse not to like them. :|

[/end rant]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

I quite liked what i heard of the thrills, quite melodic.
    As for appearance i would disagree with "you cant judge a book by its cover",boy bands, and rock bands all have distinctive looks,
    for e.g the second you saw andrew w.k. you knew you werent gonna like him, as for all them solo artist dudes that are unfairly in the r'n'b category they all shop in the same shops.
    image is everything,its what sells a band,its as important to if not more important to have a good $$$$$ image than music that actually rocks for a band to be succesful,if you dont need an image to sell yer product you would have to be one heck of a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

if a band is bad, no amount of publicity is going to make them popular.

Uh... The Revs? Busted? Don't be so naive laddy.

I also saw them support Turn in the TBMC (don't think it was the same gig as mentioned above though) and they did indeed come across as right pompous feckers... unfairly so, as their set was quite cruddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

What a great idea!

The Thrills messageboard

Hey guys,
    Seiously though there have been some good points in general .....marketing and a nice fat budget will sell anything. I dont want to be unreasonable here but I think they are very undeserving of their success...but again who am I to say. At the same time though I have been told by a couple of people that the lads themselves are alright?? Not that it really matters if they're good they're good , I dont like their stuff at all, but wouldnt bother spamming them in fairness thats kinda lame if ya dont mind me saying.......

All the best
    Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by PiE
    Uh... The Revs? Busted? Don't be so naive laddy.

but a lot of the notice that the revs get is bad. anything i've ever read about them recently has been completely negative, and not so much from a constructive criticism point of view, more so that they are laughing at the revs, and that can't be good for a band. that will definately bring morale down.

(note to self....get a job on every u2 fanzine and use these tactics!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The attention they're getting now is negative, but when they first appeared it wasn't... even though they're no worse now than they were then. Why did they get such exposure? They were shit then just as they are now. They don't deserve the attention... any attention, positive or negative.

[start rant]
    And for the 'cool dude' who called me so wittily 'comicbookguy', if you judge a band on appearences instead of their music, there's something stupidly wrong about that and you know it well. I don't believe that you're like that, i just think you're trying to find an excuse not to like them. :|
    [/end rant]

If it makes you feel feel any better I judge them primarily on their music ... which I find to be bland, uninspiring and derivitive.

I judge their attitude and sincerity on things like their image and what radio shows they pop up on ... and that tells me they are a bunch of sellouts who will row with tide every single time.

As such I find them to be the worst of both worlds. Just a bunch of sellouts whos music doen't deserve the exposure they are getting.

Still tho, every year one crap band seems to breakthru and become the 'next great hope' and then just as quickly dissappear. So this year it might as well be them until they crash and burn just like the rest.

BTW, just to increase my suspicions guys like Jay Ahern on 2fm have been playing the Thrills even tho its clearly obvious from his usual set (and elite-ist attitude) that a band like them wouldn't even come into his consideration unless he had been specifially told to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by James_M
    What a great idea!

The Thrills messageboard

Now either this, or a similar thread on the forum of a webzine I frequent called the scourge (www.thescourge.co.uk), was brought to the attention of the Thrills fans on their forum, and they all went off on one. Like a bunch of blue rinse grannies, whinging about the youth of today.

Over sensitive wee sh**es.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Now either this, or a similar thread on the forum of a webzine I frequent called the scourge (www.thescourge.co.uk), was brought to the attention of the Thrills fans on their forum, and they all went off on one. Like a bunch of blue rinse grannies, whinging about the youth of today.

Over sensitive wee sh**es.

http://forums.thethrills.com/viewtopic.php?t=427&sid=53de3467eefce4ff619d28276e45ebf4

First off, I've never seen such total agreement from fans on a message board as I did on their and I have to admit that I find it a little disturbing. Perhaps they are some sort of brainwash 'heaven's gate' cult where descension is not tolerated amongst their ranks?

The post by 'S.M.' on page 2 pretty much say it all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Why do you all feel the need to ''bombard their message board'' just to get a point across? You don't like them, fair enough, there's no need to go moaning to the whole world.

Some one with a bit of intelligence.

Advertisement