Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest .ie's?

Options
  • 08-05-2003 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I just discovered register365.ie have put there .ie prices up €50 to €120 :eek:

This is not good. Who does the cheapest .ie's now then? I'll be shifting all of mine soon. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

G-zus

lol

Did you ask steve from register365 what the increase was for?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there needs to be a reason for a price increase in this country? Is this a new policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I just discovered register365.ie have put there .ie prices up €50 to €120

They just moved to a bigger premises i suppose they have to make the Money back somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Thanks lads but I don't really care what their reasons are. Put them up €5 or €10 and that's fine. €50 is taking the piss.

Anyone know who the cheapest is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think the prices were increased due to the IEDR Changing their billing to monthly and the fact their so much hassle to deal with means to make any sort of money you need to charge alot.

The price increase wasn't €50,they charged €59.95 ex VAT before the increase and now they charge €99.95 ex VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi all,

The prices are down to a few factors

1) The IEDR imposed a billing model change on all resellers without much warning or consultation. This meant .ie domains, which had been paid for at 12.50 quarterly, now were payable 50 up front in the month they were registered. Thus, the registrar did not have the 'use' of the cash, so the true cost actualy rose.

2) The management of processing over 200 .ie's per month is a full time job for one of our staff. This cost was not being covered.

We continue offering a rate of €69.95 to existing customers who have hosting or other services with us, and to resellers.

The new rate of €99.95 is for non-hosting customers only (ie: those hosting elsewhere).

Unfortunately, we simply could not justify the low price for all registrations due to the IEDR's actions.

Hope that helps clarify,

Stephen

Hey Steve,
    Where is Golden Charter/Rockwell Automation Training Centre relative to your office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Thats a big old jump but then again business is business.

I just discovered register365.ie have put there .ie prices up €50 to €120

Strange. I just got a .ie domain from a company called Darklite, for 65 euros before vat.

The site that i got the domain from was http://www.darklite.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by klaz
    Strange. I just got a .ie domain from a company called Darklite, for 65 euros before vat.

The site that i got the domain from was http://www.darklite.ie/

Darklite are in business years a really nice croud and a professional firm to deal with.

• Advertisement

Hi Balooba,

I think their around the corner :)

The main issue was the billing changes, which will force all the .ie registries to go the same way. Beleive me, the IEDR have made it absolutely impossible to justify registration of .ie domains at less than 100 euro as a single product.

To re-iterate,

We still sell at 69.95 to customer who host with us./

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    Darklite are in business years a really nice croud and a professional firm to deal with.

lol... i'm glad to hear it, since i'll be using them for a good while to come. They're a very professional crowd to deal with over the phone, and the domain was registered within two days. It was fine.

Golden Charter sell funeral insurance :eek:

My bro works in the Rockwell Centre sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I have to agree with Steve on this one. The IEDR's billing is a bit of a joke.

With .com registrars you can at least get an email reminder telling you a domain is expiring in 30 or 60 days or whatever. You can view a list at any time with expiry dates and this allows you to ensure that customers pay before the expiry date. When integrated with h-sphere's billing in Steve's case, its a doddle.

With the IEDR, you have no idea what's going on from a billing point of view and its much harder to ensure that renewed domains have been payed for by your customers. It can seriously affect cashflow for a business.

We (the un-named hosting company I work for) will continue at €69.95 for now - €60 for resellers. But with the effort involved, that price is just a break-even point and is only worthwhile if people signup for hosting with you.

The Main reason for the increase is the IEDR Expect hosting companys to do their jobs for them,regarding tracking expiry's etc and then just hand them a cheque each month.For Hosting Companys with alot of domains this is full time work for a member of staff.

Something has to be done about the IEDR and the sooner the better.

Thanks Steve

Do you charge for transfers? If yes, how much?

Cheers klaz I'll have a look at Darklite :)
    The price increase wasn't €50,they charged €59.95 ex VAT before the increase and now they charge €99.95 ex VAT.
    Technically it wasn't, but I'm talking about the inc. VAT price which has gone from €72.50 to €120.94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Check out
    Cloch.ie

IE Domain Registration: Only €49* with hosting, €69

Not a great looking website very hard to read.Look's like a reseller,can't see his prices staying that low for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭irlhost

60.50 incl VAT, this is the price we have to pay to IEDR.

We sell the domains on at cost price because they are a joke at the price the IEDR sell them at.

With the problems and work we have in registering .ie domains they aren't worth it.

Yeah I was in contact with cloch last week - they have no intention of raising their prices.

My issues with 365 are resolved now. :)

G

• Advertisement

The problem with .ie domains is scale and volume.

With a handful of domains a month, like cloch, there is not much problem and you can take the relatively small loss incurred with every registration.

With hundreds of .ie's a month, the management becomes a full time job, and the margins are simply not there.

The IEDR need to wake up to the fact that they are forcing the registries to be un-competetive in order to survive.

At the end of the day, we would rather sell half as many .ie domains and maintain a profitable business, than sell twice as many at a loss. More domains at a loss is just a bigger loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Steve has a very valid point.
    The IEDR's pricing structure is not very helpful to start with. They then make a bad situation worse by having a rather user-unfriendly registration system and a set of rules that would require almost a law degree to wade through (not forgetting the amnesia that seems to afflict them from time to time in that respect).
    If the IEDR want us (hosts etc.) to promote and use the .ie they need to make things easier on all sides

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    The problem with .ie domains is scale and volume.

With a handful of domains a month, like cloch, there is not much problem and you can take the relatively small loss incurred with every registration.

With hundreds of .ie's a month, the management becomes a full time job, and the margins are simply not there.

The IEDR need to wake up to the fact that they are forcing the registries to be un-competetive in order to survive.

At the end of the day, we would rather sell half as many .ie domains and maintain a profitable business, than sell twice as many at a loss. More domains at a loss is just a bigger loss :(
    If you need a hand just send some to me:D

You are right if a client pays by credit card and the bank take their % we break even.

What we have done when clients transfer their .ie domains to us is email IEDR for the expiry dates;) They do reply...

Then just add the details to a simple database.

I wouldn't put all my trust in the IEDR telling you when the domain expirys :ninja:

Why not mosey over to the nascent IWHA at http://www.irishhostreview.com/phpBB2/index.php (temp url) and lets discuss a .ie action group to try to make some changes?

Originally posted by Sposs
    I wouldn't put all my trust in the IEDR telling you when the domain expirys :ninja:
    So far so good.
    Once we have a email from them, the balls in their court.

The big problem we have with them is they keep contacting us looking for payment, which we have made to them. They even contacted a client direct.:mad:

Its just risky depending your whole business on them,as if they have an expiry date wrong you could get charged by them before you have a chance to collect off your customer.which would seriously damage your cashflow,especially considering how they have changed their billing procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

irlhost : Steve has hundreds of .ie's through hosting365 and register365. You may not have any problems with the IEDR's system at your current level, but if you reached the same volume as Steve you would need to emply a member of staff almost fulltime to manage all the movements...

Just Noticed that Hosting 365 have reduced their .IE Domain price to €69.95 http://www.register365.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement