Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari is once again...

Options
  • 08-05-2003 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Anyone see that Infogrames are changing their name to Atari.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

ahh the corporate name change. what better way of hiding the fact that they are loosing more money than someone with a rather large crater sized hole in their pocket.

Manager 1: "We need some proactive strategy managment people, we are loosing money. We are not leaving here until a plan has been initaiated and delegated to the relevant department coordinator, shift supervisor assisatants, regional pointless middle managment figure and that person resposible for developing dodgy games based on film and television lisences"

Manager 2: "Can we order chinese?"

Manager 1: "Of course we can order chinese."

Room fills with approving hushed chatter

Manager 3: "I have an idea."

Manager 1: "Well, i hope it is as good an idea as not giving funding to Black Isle to develop a good Fallout game."

Manager 3: "How about........."

Room fills with silence

Manager 1: "Go on man, tell us!"

Manager 3: "How about wasting what little capital we have left on....."

Manager 2: "Yes......"

Manager 3: "A rebranding under the name Atari. We all know that Atari is the Japanese for success and they had a great history of highly successful, just as their name implies, computers and consoles. How can we forget the brilliance of the ST, the STE, the Mega ST, the TT the Falcon 030, the Lynx and of course the Jaguar. Each a leader in its market(for the first week of sales).

Room fills with cheers and roars of approval

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I never knew you were on the infograms dev team discostu :eek:

:rolleyes: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Discostu obviously missed the part of the meeting where they decided to slash their European workforce, shut down the Sheffield House development studio (what used to be Gremlin) and the last Microprose studio (responsible for the Geoff Crammond Grand Prix games), and move the bulk of their operations to the USA in an attempt to distance themselves from the 800 million Euro debuts they've racked up.

Oh, and let's not forget paying 40 million bloody dollars for Shiny so they could get Enter the Matrix - which looks like being stunningly average licensed pap. Nice one Infogrames!

And now they're called Atari. Well... As one of the guys working with me on Eurogamer put it, "a fat bald lager lout from Worthing could change his name by deed poll to Brad Pitt, but it wouldn't make him any more attractive to the opposite sex, would it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Depends, what car does he drive? Does he get paid much?

WAITAMINUTE!! *amp looks around in confusion* THIS ISN'T PERSONAL ISSUES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Killing Gremlin and Microprose?? wtf? That's sacrilege!! aaaaaahhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Infogrammes naming themselves after one of the biggest corporate meltdowns in history seems very appropriate. Good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Infogrammes naming themselves after one of the biggest corporate meltdowns in history seems very appropriate. Good for them.

hmm, i dont know if, as corporate meldowns go, ATARI was exactly the biggest!

hopefully they wont drag the name through the mud, nice to see teh logo and name back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"Well, i hope it is as good an idea as not giving funding to Black Isle to develop a good Fallout game."

Hey, I liked Fallout...:(

Advertisement