Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a new mobo on existing os

• 08-05-2003 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

I posted this somewhere else but it's probably better suited here.

Well i want ahead and ordert the Abit KD7 on sunday night ( got it tues morning ) from komplett,got 512 crucial ddr 2700 ram and another WD 120 Gig hdd , ne way i was just wondering about installing the motherboard,can i just swap the old mobo ( Abit KT7A ) with the new one and install the new drivers ,or will i have to re-install win 2k ??? which i dont wanna do if i can help it !!! , can i just change mobo's and install new drivers or 'remove the motherboard components in add/remove hardware' then replace it ?

Thx CombatCow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

you shouldnt have to re install your os for a motherboard, as long as your not puttin in new cards(graphics, sound etc) and your keepin the os on the same hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thx a lot whosurpaddy ,the only thing im changin is the mobo , keepin the same gfx card and hdd,cd drive,cpu.
    ''me rushes off to install new mobo'':D :D:D

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

it depends what OS and how much of a change tthe mobo is.

most of the time youll get away with it, others it will act funny even with a dirty install and some will blue screen no matter what you do, unless you clean install.

if its a big jump like a BX to a KT400, it will almost certainly die with XP or 2k

Ok im back :D ( 2 hours l8r ) fastest mobo change & gettin everthin setup ever ?

Thx 4 ur help wouldent of done tonight if it wasnt for you whosyourpaddy,and soupercomputer thx aswell,Im chuffed that it's workin fine and everthing is sweet.

Btw i was using an Abit KT7A on Win2k ---- going to an Abit KD7 with same hdd.Must try overclockin it tomorrow :D

Tiz now

Abit KD7
    AMD XP 2000+
    512 pc 2700 ( 333 ) crucial ddr ram
    2 x WD 120 Gig 8Mb hdd's
    MSI GF4TI4400
    Sony 52/24/52 CD-RW
    Win2k
    All wrapped up in a spanking new aluminium case ( which iz gonna be modded @ the weekend ):D

CombatCow :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

wats an ABIT KD7 ???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Trying a similar operation with Win XP isn't as much fun

ur welcome, glad it all worked so sweet. xp generally isnt a prob either, at most you should have to do a repair(dirty install)

2 x WD 120 Gig 8Mb hdd's

just out of interest what r the wd hardrives like, thats the one im gettin soon......r they fast/quiet?

Yeah they are actually verry quiet,but the main reason i got them was because,my bro bought one for the server and it was $hit quick,their great imo.120 Gig's for E.150, nice.

Btw u can check out meh case ( not finished here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90854&perpage=20&pagenumber=2 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by SouperComputer

if its a big jump like a BX to a KT400, it will almost certainly die with XP or 2k

Exactly what happened me. Changed from BX P3 system, installed a KT400, new RAM, new CPU, 9700Pro. Wasn't surprised when XP balked on booting, but that said, it only balked when trying to load the NVidia driver I had been using (on the Safe Mode boot it always stopped there).

IT was no real hassle, pop in the CD, press R to repair the current installation from the CD, and it came up without problems and all apps, etc., fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Exactly what happened me. Changed from BX P3 system, installed a KT400, new RAM, new CPU, 9700Pro. Wasn't surprised when XP balked on booting, but that said, it only balked when trying to load the NVidia driver I had been using (on the Safe Mode boot it always stopped there).

IT was no real hassle, pop in the CD, press R to repair the current installation from the CD, and it came up without problems and all apps, etc., fine.

you lucky boy! somtimes the doesnt even work and you have to start from scratch :(

Ah, theres nufin like the sqeaky-clean feel of a nice new install though :)

Advertisement