Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF1942: Secret Weapons Of WWII

Options
  • 08-05-2003 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Yes you may have seen some of these but ill keep you all updated on it!

Many of the new vehicles and weapons featured in Secret Weapons—futuristic for the WWII timeframe—were considered extremely powerful yet experimental. While these armaments and vehicles are rooted in WWII history, many never saw actual combat, however, they are put to use in the game.

Secret Weapons lets gamers control and use new weapons and new vehicles in eight fresh WWII combat battlefields including, Telemark, Peenemüende (V2 research facility), Essen and The Eagle’s Nest (Hitler’s hideaway). All new battlefields offer unique settings from nightfall during the summer in Prague to a winter battle in Norway.

Secret Weapons brings the total of playable vehicles in the game to 46. In addition to the 30 vehicles in the original game that includes jeeps, fighter planes, tanks and aircraft carriers, players can operate16 new vehicles including a Horton HO 229 fighter plane that is equipped with a 30 mm machine gun. Other vehicles include a US Sherman tank with a T-34 Calliope (rocket launcher), U.S. Super Heavy Tank, Sturmtiger, Goblin jetfighter, C-47 cargo plane, Armstrong Whitworth AW-52, the German Wasserfall guided anti-air missile and the German Natter rocket plane.

In addition to offering innovative weapons and vehicles, the game also improves on gameplay by adding an “objective based” mode. In this new mode, players will be tasked with a specific objective to win the battle (e.g. destroy a secret facility).

thumb_2.jpg thumb_3.jpg thumb_4.jpg

Features
    - Eight new battlefields that take players into combat in top secret locations in a variety of seasons and times of day.
    - Sixteen new vehicles to operate, seven of them prototypes which could have changed the outcome of WWII.
    - Four new weapons including a one-shot kill knife that all Allied and Axis soldiers are issued.
    - Introduction of British Commando and German Elite troops.
    - Top secret German prototype Rocket Pack which allows players to fly and fight at the same time.
    - Wasserfall rockets will be launched, flown and directed by player in first person.
    - The C-47 Cargo Plane will serve as a mobile spawn point
    - A new "objective based" gameplay mode

You gotta love those rockets on the sherman!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

This looks completely over the top and pants , it looks like a badly made MOD tbh, I for one definately wont be getting it (jetpacks? wtf?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Jetpacks???

I dont really have a clue why they made this. I wish they would have put more time into updating to 1.4 and the like, and maybe, jusy maybe helping DC and EOD :)

I like some of thee work they have done, notibly with the sky. Mappers were finding it hard to make good night time maps cos of the lighting in the BF/Refractor yolkie engine. Hopefulyl the Dice team got it working nicly. The C-47 should have been ingame since the start too.... its much needed! Also i wonder if they will change the limit of 6 people per vehicle. I hope they bloody do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ill be picking it up anyway. In regards to OTT, I dont play BF1942 for its "realism".

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

those "add ons" totally undermine the authenticity.

Although just by the name it is easy to see these guys were not too particular about the history, like the Sturm Gewehr was not introduced until 1944 - never mind some of the tanks and assault guns.

But at least everything was at it was up to 1945 which gave you part of that scary reality feel that this madness actually happened. It is probably totally disrespectful and unethical to play games as such considering the millions of people that died... sorry, getting a little deep here… unusual for an on-line gamer… I know.

If they start messing around with it like that I might as well go play UT or Quake.

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi All,

does anybody of you have seen the "Battlefield" Series on Discovery Channel?

They are switching now from Battlefield World War 2 to Battlefield Vietnam.

As our games consists some major battles from the series (and I'm sure they have a corporation with the tv-producer, have a look at the Icon ;-) you can expect what will come next.

Maybe they are waiting for some mods to be in a almost ready phase and buy it off.

I will bet that the next epsiode of BF1942 is: BF Vietnam.

I think the "secret Weapons" is an add-on to close the time gap.

And to be honest: We all BF-Maniacs will buy it, at least to get some new weapons and maps and so on....

or don't we? :D:D

jow

• Advertisement

no... I will completey and uttlery refuse to ever buy anything like that... :mad: .... although if that one day I fire up the ASE and there's not single thing happening in my BF1942 folder... then I'll probalby go with the flock :D ...

having principles will just end up making you lonley... :p

Roflol, its a silly little game with which acknowledges how little authenticity it tries to create... I mean come on, the list of crap in Bf1942 is endless (no British Tanks, the US use the UK Battleships, up until recent patchs everyone was using everyones elses weapons, Market Garden especially and all the other maps bear little resemblence to actual history, the fact that one man can somehow drive and operate a tank on his own etc etc). If you must delude yourself into playing something authentic then either accept BF1942 is set in some vaguely familar Alternate Earth\History or play something like OpFlashpoint.

I see Secret Weapons Addon as being a fun addon to a fun game. They even market the addon as "the super weapons that could have changed the war".

"Millions" of people didnt die in these handful of battles anyway, perhaps [edited for Duke :p] 100s of thousands did, which is neither here nor there as the battles in BF1942 inherit the name of the battles and little else.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I will agree that BF1942 tries to make a complex game playable whilst focusing on on-line bashes - and it does that quite well. The weaponry is quite good although some did not actually exist in 1942. Good point about the tanks.

Re. the millions of people, within the overall conflict of WWII an estimated 50 million people perished. Also, taking such battles as Stalingrad and average of 20 thousand German soldiers where lost per week, with the destruction of the six army (Operation Uranus – encirclement of Stalingrad) cutting off 260thousand Germans soldiers - of which only 90 thousand went into captivity – and only 6 thousand returned from Siberia some years later. In the same period the Russians lost approx three times as many (it is difficult to get proper information as up until recent the Russian authorities would have been very secretive). This is why it was this battle was called “Verdun on the Volga”. Anyhow, it is not about the number of people, it is that it happened at all that makes it fright full.

Anyhow, this is not a history board… but a games board… never intended to stir emotions…

Peace man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Theres a diffrence between realism, fun, and spam.

Battlefield is fun, not realistic. However giving troops jetpacks, having a sherman with a missile rack, cmon now! (just look at the screenshot of that sherman, its looks like it is held in plane by half a dozen screws!), and then theres a tank with a beach defence strapped on top,its just rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

ye know your gonna buy it when it comes out so theres no point in bitching about it lol

Regards

Shin

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Theres a diffrence between realism, fun, and spam.

Battlefield is fun, not realistic. However giving troops jetpacks, having a sherman with a missile rack, cmon now! (just look at the screenshot of that sherman, its looks like it is held in plane by half a dozen screws!), and then theres a tank with a beach defence strapped on top,its just rediculous.

Yes... but they didnt just invent these things, they all existed in some way or another near the end of the war. The Nazis had many inventions that seemed straight out of Sci Fi, these are quite mundane in comparison...

Matt

Secret Weapons as you all know was shown over at E3 and the impression from over there is that it is fecking amazing and a lot better then the Road To Rome expansion pack.

BF is made to be even and not historicly accurate. would you rather have an even game where its the skill of the players that make a differance or a uneven game where you can easily kick the other teams áss cos they have inferior weapons?

Its also a lot of fun too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Read the Arthur C. Clarke short story "Superiority".

Very interesting re: hi-tech weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i love playing the game, the realism is what makes the game better then the rest as far as i'm conserned. and depending on how this jet-pack thing works out, i'll either wast more of my life playing the game....... or i'll go fine a new game which offers the same sort of realism.

hmmm... if I'm the one holding the bigger gun than I realy can't see the problem :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    i love playing the game, the realism is what makes the game better then the rest as far as i'm conserned. and depending on how this jet-pack thing works out, i'll either wast more of my life playing the game....... or i'll go fine a new game which offers the same sort of realism.

It's an add-on pack, so it's optional. If you don't like it, just keep playing vanilla 1942. There's nothing stopping you pretending they didn't release Secret Weapons (when the time comes).

Personally, I think it'll be a lot of fun for the occassional game, but I'll probably still play normal 1942 more. Anything that adds more optional bells and whistles is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Tyrrial

excueeze me?
    Realistic? BF1942?
    Oh yeah, and space invaders was more realistic then Iwar2....

It's a very fun game, and I enjoy immensely, but don't kid yourself liek that man.

"I can see you're not a golfer" - The Dude

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Originally posted by jow
    Hi All,

does anybody of you have seen the "Battlefield" Series on Discovery Channel?

Yeah thats epic i watch it everyday........and your right the symbol is stragely familiar......:)

Originally posted by jow

I will bet that the next epsiode of BF1942 is: BF Vietnam.

I think the "secret Weapons" is an add-on to close the time gap.

And to be honest: We all BF-Maniacs will buy it, at least to get some new weapons and maps and so on....

or don't we? :D:D

jow

We all know what it means when someone predicts the future children..... WITCH!

Matt

Paraphrased from Family Guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The_Penguin

im well into bf but regarding the jet packs it doesnt bother me id say shud be a mad laugh it would put a nice twist into the game and make it insane at lan parties!

does any1 know the release date for it cause i will deffinatly be getting it!:D

The Penguin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

hummm. posted at 5:30. u seem to be well into your bf

ahhh well ya know how it is when ya get your hands on some caffine mints :D lol

So any1 know wat date it is gonna be out on?

The Penguin

Bringing this old thread back to life as the artwork for Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons is released:

thumb_1.jpg

The EB website, EBWorld.com has the release date [US] on their site for 10th September and its expected to retail at about $30 which is about €25 or so Euro. That probably means the European version of Secret Weapons will also be out early September and will [knowing Ireland] retail about €30. :)

And i am pleased to show some more pictures of Secret Weapons

thumb_3.jpg thumb_2.jpg thumb_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

sweet pics winter but deos any1 know when this crazy game is coming out i have my name down 4 it but the store deosnt even know when it comes out all i know it is in fall somtime ...not enough info dammit arg....
    :mad:

oh i know toxick i have the same prob plz sum1 tell me when it is out!b4 i lose my second mind which i borrowed from a monkey

ToTheGame have the Release date for Europe set at 12th September this year [2003]. The US daye is the 9th. These may change though, so watch out :)

thanx winters

thumb_1.jpg

Great news. Planetbattlefield have told that there will be a demo of Secret Weapons released soon. :)
    Here is some exclusive news you haven't heard anywhere else yet. The demo for the next Battlefield 1942 expansion Secert Weapons will be hitting PBF soon. Keep your eyes peeled and your guns shinny!

From Planetbattlefield

Ill update you as soon as a date or more information arrives :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*digging up an old topic*

any new pics yet?

On the realism note. Its not that BF1942 is realistic its that it feels real and dirty. The whole ww2 atmosphere is great with tanks and snipers and planes. Oldstyle dogfighting and basicaly a proper war (how controversal) I'm worried this mod will reduce the need for large scale warfare. think about it. the 32 player servers need big servers cause its v.difficult for one vehicle to win the war. U got to have your tank squads with infantry support and your transports to secure a successful win. With this mod your making players more independent. jet packing infantry wont need to have jeeps or half tracks. And imagine what they can do with rocket launchers. The jets remove the classic old skool dogfighting we luved as kids. Who didnt see Battle Of Britain and wanted to fly the old spitfires and Me109.

Also if your a war buff (like most BF1942) players you kno there is more fear seeing a Tiger coming down the road. Then any other sight in the game.

Me personnally i love vanilla 1942. I might get this add on but i still perfer to fight a game which feels and looks more like a real war.

Advertisement