Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem troubles

• 08-05-2003 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

just did a reinstall of xp & having trouble with my modem.
    tried to connect & no joy, so went to internet connection settings. there was no connection, next tried to create one, but dial up etc was greyed out. the only option available was broadband (im sure ive read bout this problem b4 but i cant find the thread dispite much searching)

so i tried to reinstall the modem, but i get an access denied message. i am an admin account & also the only account on the pc. im kinda stumped. any ideas?

the modem is working fine in 98

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This is something to do with regional settings. IIRC, if XP is told during set up that it's being used in the USA, it'll only install the networking components needed for cable/dsl as these are the most prevalent form of internet connectivity there.

Can't remember how to alter this though, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

ive had a look @ the regional settings & there dosent seem to be any thing out of the ordinary. its ireland in the regional settings & all settings are set to ireland or english.

could you elaborate a little plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

tracked the prob down to a particular service "remote access connection manager" not being started & that for some reason i cant start it, apparently its a known issue with service pack 1 & reinstalls. just thought id explain it cause its gonna happen to more people. found a proceedure to fix it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329441

Advertisement