Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a J1?

• 08-05-2003 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭

My brother (who works in a hotel in Cork) has been offered a temporary transfer to a hotel in America for a couple of months this summer.

His HR manager has asked him to look into getting a J1 visa. How do you go about getting one? Is it straight forward? Should the hotel (either of them) look after it, or is it up to my bro?

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

I am the USIT rep for LIT so i hope i can help, first off your brother needs to be a full time student to get a J1, its up to him to sort it out and i think its 2 late now. If you give me more info ill find out 4 ya.you can go through such companys as USIT and wait i cant think of any other at the moment...dam mental block ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks irishguy.

He is doing Hospitality Management in GMIT, subsidised by the hotel he works for (Hayfield Manor in Cork).

He had hoped to go to the States mid-June (I know its short notice, but this opportunity has just come up).

Any more info with regard to getting the visa would be much appreciated.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

He should probably ring usit.ie or go4less.ie, i think they arrange J1's as well. But it's probably too late at this stage, he might have to arrange some other type of visa which is going to take a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks eth0,

Applications for J1 2003 are closed. USIT have advised him to see if he can get an Internship Visa via his Students Union.

All other suggestions appreciated!

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

ya suppose your best bet is try an intership, he should highlight that fact that it just came up and how much of carrer break it would "sugar coat the truth a bit" also apply directly to the embassy in dublin ,ring them or drop in if your around there http://www.usembassy.ie/ other than that there is no way you can do it, unless he wanted to break the law and work with no visa which i am totaly against and if he did get caught he would find it very hard to get back in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

ahhhhh Dual Citizenship, gotta love it

Have both Irish and american passports. Tis very handy. Already worked for a summer in the states and plan to do it again.

Course to get this he'd have to live in America for several years and take a test thingy with all the mexicans :) (I am no way racist towards mexicans)

Advertisement