Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bit of advice lads...

Options
  • 08-05-2003 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

and possibly ladies (?). I am looking at buying a second hand car at the moment and wondered if anyone knew anything particularly bad about the one I am drooling over. It is a Volvo S40 T4, 1998. The T4 has a 1.9 l Turbo engine and puts out quite a large amount of horses, dont know exactly how much as I don't have the specs. (I just checked, apparently 200 hp, 0-60 in about 7 seconds) Mileage is 41,000, the garage says it has a full service history and will guarantee it for 12 months. Price in window, EUR 9950. I took it for a spin yesterday and it was sweet. I couldn't put the foot down completely(my mum and her partner came with me), but I think I went from 20 to 50 in second in about 3 seconds. Interior is a bit dated-looking, but it has all extras, electrics, air con, etc. Now I know Volvo's go forever, but I am wondering if there is anything specific I should look out for. It is a bit old, and I hear, in ither cars, of turbo's blowing, etc.
    By the way, I drive a Fiesta Zetec, 00-reg. Got it from new, 28,000 miles, 1.25l. Insurance last year was EUR 1,200, and I got a quote on the Volvo of EUR 1,900 (5 yrs ncb, full licence), so that is not too much of an issue for such a powerful car,
    Anyone got any advice,
    Much appreciated

Found specs related to the 98 model...
    VOLVO S40 T4 (200 BHP)
    Engine type: Four-cylinder petrol high-pressure turbo engine
    Displacement: 1948 cc
    Power output: 147 kW (200 bhp) at 5500 rpm
    Torque: 300 Nm at 2500-4000 rpm
    Acceleration 0-62 mph, man/auto: 7.3/8.0
    Top speed, man/auto: 146/143 mph
    Fuel consumption mpg (litres/100 km), Combined driving, man/auto: 31.7 (8.9)/29.7 (9.5) Government Approved
    Engine Capacity: 1948
    CO2 emission, g/km, man/auto: 212/227
    Transmission: Five speed manual gearboxor five-speed adaptive automatic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I have a friend that works for Volvo, and when I tried to get myself one of them he said to get the least 99 up or late 98. Something to do with the engine on 97 and early 98 models.
    You could do better than that for that amount of money.
    I think thay are too serious looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Oh man I am sooo envious, I wanted to get one of those things recently, but my insurance co. said they didn't want anything to do with me if I bought one of those, so I ended up just getting the standard 1.8. They are a wicked car.

Check out parkers for things to look out for, but I don't think there are many weak spots in the S40, however I also heard about this issue with the 97-98 models, don't think it's anything too serious though, just that newer engines were more refined or something.

Go for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Like Louie mentioned, apparently there was a problem with the 97-98 engine.

Supposed problems under hard acceleration(pinging, not smooth power curve), apparently a software upgrade to the ECU sorted this out, though the car may have had this done if it has a fsh from the main dealer...

9,950 sounds a bit expensive, I've seen private sales for as little as 6,000 for a '98 with little over 65k on the clock.... granted probably poverty spec models, remember its a buyers market..

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Theres a 98 T4 Full leather for 9000 in the buyandsell.net at the moment.

Was thinking of one myself. Insane car.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Puts an end to that. He says he can only give me EUR 5,000 for my Fiesta. Does not really sound right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Like Dre I was very interested in picking one of these up, but looking at another beemer to buy instead.... However, a neighbour of mine has one in British Racing Green, black leather interior, and I just love the totally understated looks plus it's an absolute blast to drive!

hmmmm maybe I'll start lookin at them again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbleBoy

I reckon the volvo is an excellant choice, but never forget the German (asides the war that is) BMW, Volkswagon, Audi and Mercedes are all serious forms of transport to consider. For the money you're thinking of spending Iwould advise you to look at some of these affordable models. Best of luck with the new car.
    BubbleBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rapidude

The Volvo is a good choice until you go to sell it.

We had a 97 one in the garage a couple of weeks ago for €5000
    It had leather, Aircon, Alloys, boot spoiler, 100k, and in Silver.

Residuals are pretty rough.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Just so that you know, the S/V40 cars are built on the same platform as the Mitsubishi Carisma, and was built in the same factory in Holland. Build quality was apparently not as good as the Swedish built cars, and they don't handle very well with 200bhp going through the front wheels - torque steer can be a problem.

Advertisement