Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mo-ped quiries

Options
  • 09-05-2003 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Im looking to buy a second hand Vespa mo ped 49cc,
    I just wanna know a few things?

How much shuld i expect to pay for a run of the mill 00' 49cc vespa ?

And whats third party insurance for 19 yr old male likely to cost?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

I would say 950-1000 for bike
    and
    1200 for insurance

Check hibernian https://www.hiberniandirect.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hiberian qouted me 1200(online) on a fully comp moped
    (a new one) I am 23

I went to a moped shop and they quoted me 900ish

... just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Irish insurance industry just gets worse and worse. When I was 16 (4 years ago), I had a 49cc Yamaha moped. Insurance wasa IR£266 per year, third party only, on a first provisional licence. I can't believe those motherfvckers are charging over 1000 euros to insure a bloody hairdryer.

insanity

I've also been quoted €1050 to be added to my mother's car insurance (3rd party only for, she has comprehensive cover). Her car is only an 800cc daewoo matiz, and I've only a first provisional licence (but i have a full A1 motorbike licence also).

I don't think its right that this strikes me as cheap for a 20 yr old, even though the car is a piece of dirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

My god €1200 for third party on top of the range flymo.

Im gonna ring around today and get some insurace quotes.

Ill post em up here tonight.

Cheers for the replies by the way

ok 19yr old male
    On first ever policy (no previous claims ect.)
    Model of moped Vespa et2 49cc 99d. value €1000
    Third party only :
    Qouted

Hibernian €1345
    Aon €1100 if i go through a bike dealer. ie. hassel

Both policy have a reduction of 10% for two years, with no claims.

Those were the only 2 companies that would quote me,
    Anybody else know of any other Insurance companies, that would give me a quote ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's nobody else in Ireland that does bike insurance besides Carole Nash, and they generally only will cover people who are over 25, holding a full licence and driving bikes over 250cc.

Aon are only reselling Hibernian polices as well afaik.

So they have you over a barrel really.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Stephen
    There's nobody else in Ireland that does bike insurance besides Carole Nash, and they generally only will cover people who are over 25, holding a full licence and driving bikes over 250cc.

Aon are only reselling Hibernian polices as well afaik.

So they have you over a barrel really.

Ya.

I'd go the second hand route via a dealer. That way, you can avail of Aon's insurance, and be fairly sure that you're not getting a heap of **** bike. Dealers are usually bulging with second handers at the start and end of summer, as people a)Upgrade their bikes and b)the fairweather bikers ditch their fad before winter.

Only two things to look out for:-
    Ask the dealer if the bike has been crashed. They are obliged to tell you the truth. If it has, avoid it like the plague.
    Check the mileage. A moped shouldn't have much more than 3000 miles (5000km) for each year it's been on the road. You should have no problem finding a low mileage one though. Many people only use their bikes for nice days or short trips. For example, when I was looking for a bike I found a 10 year old GN125 with 1500km on the clock. (In the end I went for a newer bike with higher mileage cos it looks cooler :D).
    Also make sure there's some sort of warranty in effect. You'd be surprised how many things are overlooked when a dealer is giving a second hander the once over.

:)

cheers for the advice seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

672 Fully Comp
    352 Third Party

25 years old
    3 years no claims
    Full A1 licence.
    On a 2000 50 CC Vespa Valued at 1000 Euros.

****1n joke to be honest..

Advertisement