Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview questions

• 09-05-2003 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

I was given these as a list of potential questions.... where do you start to answer them? help? thoughts?

What are your strengths? Demonstrate examples.
    What are your weaknesses? Demonstrate examples.
    What have been your achievements to date?
    Are you a team player or do you prefer to work alone?
    How do you react in a pressurised work environment?
    What part of your current position do you like the most?
    What part of your current position do you dislike the most?
    What motivates you?
    Where do you see yourself in 3, 5, or 10 years?
    What can you bring to this company?

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

This is what I go by:

Q1: A- Outgoing, self starter, good mixer, team player. You could say that when you worked in x you helped your colleagues who were less knowledgable in certain areas to achieve succes in x area

Q2: A- Say you have a tendency to put others first which can sometimes deter you from attending to your own duties or slow them down a little. Refer to above example.

Q3: A- Depending on the area you are in you could say that you helped to win a new major account, or if in customer services helped to save an account or if your technical helped to plan out a clients expansion. List is pretty endless.

Q4: A- Always say team player

Q5: A- Say that you respond to pressure well and enjoy embracing new challenges but that you are also capable of motivating your own pressure.

Q6: A- Thats for you babes sorry

Q7: A- Above but try and make it as constructive as possible i.e if it were down to you you would effect x,y & z changes to the benefit of the company

Q8: A- Doing the job well and to the best of your ability. If it's a customer facing role either by phone or face to face, say getting to know your clients well and making sure that their requests carried out in a timely professional manner. A lot of the time what makes you tick socially stands up to what should make you tick professionally

Q9: A- Make up some impressive sounding shít, but dont be blunt and say that in three years time you want the job of asking interviewees the questions

Q10: A- Professionalism, energy, drive and vision.

K-

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There is one more that can be asked...

Why do you want to work here?

Always throws people off... lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

What are your strengths? Demonstrate examples.

As kell said..

What are your weaknesses? Demonstrate examples.

Ive found that saying stubborness is a good thing to say, but explain it in this way:

If you are stuck on something, say that you are the type of person who will give their all to find a solution ro work around. That your own stubborness wont let you walk away or give up.

What have been your achievements to date?

Only you know this one.

Are you a team player or do you prefer to work alone?

Yes, always a team player, especially if you play a team sport, tell them that because you played this for many years, you learned that working as a team helped the team win and by observing this you learned the benefits of team work.

How do you react in a pressurised work environment?

Again, only you will know this.

If you've ever worked in a pub, or niteclub is even better. Tell them this and how you've dealt with 100 customers screaming for drink at last orders.. and still went back to that pub night after night to work.. if thats not working in a pressurised environment then what is???

What part of your current position do you like the most?

Again, only up to you.

What part of your current position do you dislike the most?

Only you know here, but just say that its a necessary evil and that is has to be done, showing that you embrace the tasks you like as much as the tasks you dont

What motivates you?

A challenge is always a good thing to say here. The thought of facing something new and having to sit down and work it out, but knowing that youll get the satisfaction and knowledge from solving that particular problem.

Where do you see yourself in 3, 5, or 10 years?

Smarter, wiser, richer and older.. while still with this company..

Brings a bit of light hearted conversation to the interview, if you get an approving smile or a laugh from the interviewer, then you know you're in with a chance..

What can you bring to this company?

Only what Ive learned in the past, (List Skills) but I do hope that what I learn here will help me improve my skills and bring more to the company in the future than I could have before...

Best of luck,

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the aarticle that trojan has posted under the interview article thread above is good Smiles. it doesnt answer all your questions, but it does give you an extra idea of what saort of things you might want to say in an interview.

i think thats a pretty good list, and it makes sense to prepare yourself for questions like these.

on the achievements note, i think its important to put in something that isnt work related. when it comes to talk about work, you should pimp yourself as much as possible. you are selling yourself basically, but when yo uare asked an open ended question like that i think its a good time to let them know more about your personality and interests.
    if you climbed mt blanc, hell, thats some achievement. if you created the cure for cancer, great! if you had both your legs eaten off by a bengal tiger, and then did the marathon, even better.
    show them you have apersonal life as well. make yourself interesting, even if it means growing a better class of weed in your overgrown back garden :)

Advertisement