Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Listening Music?

Options
  • 09-05-2003 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I've been listening to some Aimee Mann music lately and I like it. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar style easy listening musicians?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm, never heard her stuff tbh but "cara dillon" is a pretty nice relaxing irish singer, she sings old folk songs and such.

would leonard cohen be classed as easy listening? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Maybe something along the lines of Gemma Hayes or Norah Jones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

u need paul oakenfolds album - tranceport
    u will fall asleep listening to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

nobody needs a paul oakenfold album. ever.

try Beth Ortons first two albums, they're both pretty decent.
    Anything by Mazzy Star, especially So Tonight That I Might See.
    Slowdive's album Souvlaki is amazing too... doubt you'll find it in any shops though.
    Lunas latest album Romantica is great.. pure love pop at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Now you're talking my kinda language!!!

Zero 7 "Simple Things" - Absolutely amazing album!!

David Kitt "The Big Romance" - Totaly underated Irish Artist, he's yet to make it big but his time will come!! Anyone that I've played this album to has ended up buying a copy for themselves.

Morcheeba "Big Calm" - Words can't describe this album!!!

Air “Moon Safari” – You’d be surprised tha amount of tracks that you’d already know from this album. Classic Chillout album.

Anything from Massive Attack, in particular “Blue Lines”

The Café Del Mar collections are quite good but a lot of them can be quite hit or miss!! “Volumen Cinco” being my favourite.

A good artist for Cillout collections is Chris Coco, his collections consist of everyone from obscure unknown tracks to Air to John Martin.

That’s all I can think of right now but I’ll post more when I think of them!!!

• Advertisement

God!! How could I forget about Gary Jules – “Mad World” . It’s a cover of a Tears for Fears song (don’t let that put you off!!) taken from the soundtrack of the brilliant “Donnie Darko” it has to be my favouvrite “Easy Listening” track at the mo and it’ll take some beating!!!! God, how did I forget about that!?!?!? Definitely check it out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Obviously kali u never listened to that album!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Benbaz
    God!! How could I forget about Gary Jules – “Mad World” . It’s a cover of a Tears for Fears song (don’t let that put you off!!) taken from the soundtrack of the brilliant “Donnie Darko” it has to be my favouvrite “Easy Listening” track at the mo and it’ll take some beating!!!! God, how did I forget about that!?!?!? Definitely check it out!!
    :D
    i've had that on repeat play for the last month, i couldn't reccomend it highly enough.

i'm fairly fond of the tears for fears original as well, it's kind of catchy in that early 80's electro pop way.

oh yeah, the instrumental cd of morcheeba - charango is some of the best chill out music i've ever heard

Originally posted by tman
    oh yeah, the instrumental cd of morcheeba - charango is some of the best chill out music i've ever heard

Please don't say that!!!

I bought Charango on-line when it came out first. But was sick when I realised that there was an extra CD of acoustic versions of all the songs available on the "normal" shop version!!!
    That'll teach me to try and save a few squid buying on-line

So tman, is it worth buying another copy for the extra CD??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

So tman, is it worth buying another copy for the extra CD??????
    not really, i've only listened to it a fraction of the times i've listened to the original.
    it's the kind of cd that, unlike the original, you only find yourself listening to when you're hungover/coming down etc...

it really depends on how much you like the original, just imagine it with no vocals whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Easy Listening - 20 Golden Greats by Matt Monroe (ask your mum!)

Hell go out and buy some Steely Dan or Miles Davis and move up a step or two on the cool ladder! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hey mike you got the Miles Davis 1956 NY recordings? (Cookin', Steamin', Workin', Relaxin')..
    If not go pick them up in the above order, absolutely some of the best recordings made of the Miles Davis quintet (Davis, Coltrane, Garland, Jones, Chambers).. and have over the past year have probably become my most played and favourite jazz albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by Mordeth
    hrm, never heard her stuff tbh but "cara dillon" is a pretty nice relaxing irish singer, she sings old folk songs and such.

would leonard cohen be classed as easy listening? :D

couldn't find any Cara Dillon, but i'll keep an eye out.
    Originally posted by Fidelis
    Maybe something along the lines of Gemma Hayes or Norah Jones?

awe man those two are really great, cheers :)

ye, got it, very good song, tnx!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

elliot smith-xo
    low-anything by low. especially the first album, i could live in hope. its quite harmonic and slow but maybe a tad minor-ish for your liking, (i dunno what your liking is so i can't say)
    i'd back up moon safari by air, and possibly the virgin suicides too

mercury rev-all is dream

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you might wanna check out grandaddy,kinda soft relaxing group.. very nice stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Elliot Smith. Some of the best and most relaxing music ive heard in a while.

Royksopp - Melody A.M.
    Lemon jelly - *dont know the names of the albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

The new Yo La Tengo album - Summer Sun - is very chilled.

Sparklehorse, Mogwai and John Cage are on my current snoozey tunes playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just looking throught what I have on my PC in work .... some of my current fave easy listening.....

Tom McRae - Just Like Blood
    Josh Rouse - Under Cold Blue Stars / Home / Nebraska
    The 4 of Us - Heaven and Earth
    Mark Geary - 33 and one third Grand Street
    Mic Christopher - Skylarkin
    Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales / On and On
    Kathryn Williams - Little Black Numbers / Old Low Light
    Colin Hay - Going Somewhere
    Josh Joplin Group - Useful Music (teeny bit rocky in places!)
    Shane Nicholson - Its a Movie
    Other Voices - Songs from a Room (Compilation)
    Calexico - Feast of Wire / Hot Rail / The Black Light
    Morcheeba - Who can you trust? / Big Calm
    Grant McLennan - Fireboy / Watershed
    Go Betweens - Bright Orange Bright Yellow

- Dave.

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Lemon jelly - *dont know the names of the albums

Their first "album" was actually a collection of 3 of their previously released EPs and it was called Lemonjelly.ky

And their second and far superior album is called "Lost Horizons"
    "All the ducks are swimming in the water............................."

The two albums and verging more towards the up side of Chillout but nonetheless absolutely excellent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

Mary Margaret O'Hara - Miss America

Stina Nordenstam - And she closed her eyes

FourTet - don't know the names of his albums off the top of my
    head, but all are very good

The Notwist - Neon Golden

Anything by Talk Talk
    Beth Gibbons solo album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Kali
    Hey mike you got the Miles Davis 1956 NY recordings? (Cookin', Steamin', Workin', Relaxin')..
    If not go pick them up in the above order, absolutely some of the best recordings made of the Miles Davis quintet (Davis, Coltrane, Garland, Jones, Chambers).. and have over the past year have probably become my most played and favourite jazz albums.

I'm still finding my way round the Miles Davis universe
    and hav'nt gone back that far yet. A Kind of Blue is my earliest.
    I tend to be more into the fusion stuff - bought
    a 2 CD set of Get Up With It which is 2 hours of improv, cut and pasted by producer Teo Macero. Very influenced by Hendrix and the Floyd!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Heh, is there anything Teo Macero *didn't* produce!?

I haven't been listening to much lately on account of being away but I guess generally I've been beefing up on Yo La Tengo, Albert Ayler, Blonde Redhead, Gastr Del Sol and Jim O'Rourke, the new Bonnie Prince Billy, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks and Venetian Snares.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Hem - Rabbit Songs. (folksey and good).

Ever listen to "Alan Parsons Project". He's a bit weird.. but relaxed.

Damien Rice - o.
    a bit like david kitt. Apparently "singer-songwriter"'s are out of fashion, but heres hoping they both make it a bit bigger.

Nick Drake, anything he did, its all superb.

Maybe give richard hawley a try as well. Its relaxed, but almost cabaret.

Turin Brakes.

Sebastien Tellier.

Some repeats/obvious I have to agree with:
    Sigur ros, Cara Dillon (hometown girl), Yo La Tengo

Off the folk trail and more into the freezer I would suggest:
    Blues States, Royksopp, Air, Zero 7, St Germain - Tourist (just get it), Dj Shadow, Kinobe, Fila Brazillia, Boards of canada, Nightmares on wax (carboot soul & smokers delight).

Cur fav. downbeat songs:
    DJ Krush - Edge of blue, Duality (saxamaphones in them, be-warned)
    DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo - Fu-Yu (nice and cheery).
    fc kahuna - hayling
    funki porcini - tiers of joy
    kid loco - relaxing with cherry, she's my lover
    les nubians - makeda
    mo' horizons - yes baby yes (sally said)
    nightmares on wax - nights interlude (not introlude)
    paul hunter - paul's pal
    st germain - sure thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hey greenbean-great suggestions. i love sebastian tellier...i have l'incroyable veritas, do you know is there another album out yet? thanks.

Don't think so. All I know of him is Air touring with him (same label or something) so I got some of his stuff and its really good.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS80305180754&sql=Bdqkxikz0bbf9

Not sure if that link will work direct, but just search Sebastien Tellier. Usually the handiest way to find out about any artist.

Interestingly I've just noticed allmusic gave that album a 2 1/2, which would easily have made me ignore it on browsing. I've seen them give absolute dross some high marks before. I must be wrong for liking his stuff. I wonder if kid-a came out without the bends and ok computer beforehand would it have dissappeared into nothingness with a rake of 2 ratings?

Just reminded of Kid Loco there. Forgot to include this in an earlier post!!
    His Album "Jesus Life For Children Under 12 Inches" is one of my all time favourite albums and is defintely a must for all collections. It's a compilation of some of his remixes from various artists including "Pulp", "Saint Etienne" & "Talvin Singh" among others. But even though it's a compilation album it could easily be mistaken for a stand alone album.
    His remix of Pulp's "A Little Soul" is outta this world. He uses the music from Smokey Robinson's "Track's of my Tears" and it suits the lyrics perfectly. Again, check it out you won't be dissapointed.

B.

Advertisement