Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops

• 09-05-2003 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Is this a good laptop for the cost?
    Could I pls get all yer valued opinion!

´thanks

Gabbo!

Intel® Pentium® 4 processors with 533 MHz bus clock of 2 card locations for up to 1024 MT DDR sdram, 266 MHz
    drive assembly selection: CD, DVD, CDRW or DVD/CDRW Combo
    High speed of connections: 2x USB 2,0, Firewire (1394)
    further connections: VGA, microphone, headphone, PC Card modem & 10/100 network connection,
    DSL ready Wireless LAN antennas integrated,
    mini PCI card location for optionally integrated Wireless LAN map lithium ions high speed Akku with 94 Wh attractive housing in silver/blue,
    weight starting from 3,3 kg of dimensions (BxHxT): 33 x 4.5 x 28 cm

Configured to this spec
    Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 2,40B GHz

256 single Channel DDR sdram,

1 year European-wide fetching repair

15"XGA TFT active matrix display (1024x768; 0.79 megapixels)

40 GB of OATHS Ata-100 non removable disk (High performance)5,200RPM

32 MT ATi Mobility Radeon 7500 diagram

Combo drive assembly with 8xDVD & 24/10/24x CD-rw

and a bag!

EUR 1.495,24 (incl. vat)
    EUR 1.553,00 incl vat with 384RAM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

Gabbo....It sounds like an excellent price to me if it's new which going on your post I think it is.........but one thing, what is the brand?..you ain't mentioned that....regards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 gabbogalway

Yep It's brand new!

I didnt want to say what make it was-It's a Dell Inspiron 5100. I'm in germany for a couple of months and the prices here seem quite cheaper. Just today there's a new offer for the same laptop with 2.66Ghz ,512 RAM and it cheaper 1450 EUR. The only badpoints I know of are the weight and heating from the fan and the technical support. I wouldnt mind too much about these tho! Also the warranty is only for one year(406Eur for 3years)

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

The good thing about a decent brand that you dont have too many probs getting drivers etc........seems like a really good deal...I'd go for it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

heating from the fan

The heat isn't too bad, or the noise, I had a Laptop with AMD processor, and it nearly set fire to my desk with the heat! It got "lost" soon after. Tut Tut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Am I correct in saying that you'd want to be getting a better graphics card with that? -if you plan on playing the odd game get at least the 9000.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 gabbogalway

I read some reviews(not sure how much ya can trust them but what can ya do!) and some said games were handled pretty well with the machine-like GTA3. I would get a better card but the 32MB is the best you can go with the 5100 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dj_deevey

how bout this baby for a lappie - looks like a goody for doing, well pretty much anything ...

)Lappie here

512Mb High Speed DDR RAM (upgradeable to 1Gb)
    15.1" SXGA+ TFT Screen
    ATI Mobility Radeon M9 64Mb DDR AGP Graphics
    60Gb Ultra-ATA Fast Hard Disk
    5.1 Surround Sound Support with built in Stereo Speakers and Headphone Jack
    Music CD Control Panel (Play CD Music without even powering up the machine!)
    DVD/CD-ReWriter ROM Drive
    Email/Internet access via Hot Keys
    4x USB 2.0 Ports, Parallel POrt, CRT Port, RJ-11, RJ-45, FIR, 1394A, S-Video
    1x Type II PCMCIA
    10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    56kbps Modem + FREE Internet Access
    AC Adapter 75 watts (universal)
    Lithium-ion Battery
    Kensington Security Lock Support
    D: 332x281x39.7mm; W: 3.8Kg
    Unique 3 Year Warranty (first 12 months return to base parts & labour, following 24 months return to base labour only)

Based in the UK but if you know anyone over there im sure that the'll send it, else it'll cost ya a bit more.

Cost in euro 1,524(well was a week ago) ex shipping did a few searches too, got loadsa good reviews (look for ECS green laptop), im loking at getting one of these for myself over the next few months (Im a non-brand, junkie :D )

laters

steve

Oh yeah BTW the screen goes up to 1280 x 1024 (if i remember correctly)

....time for bed

night

Could be wrong but as far as a i know aldi were doing laptops for german customers (all the time) with geforce 4 Go! cards a little while ago

(there site has changed and navigation without speaking german has become slighty more difficult so cant be sure - no harm in trying though)

The aldi PC's / Laptops are kick ass though and the tech support is amazing - believe it or not, (have a aldi pc from jan 2002 its still kickass) i'd rate em over dell anyhow

Like i said could be wrong - too late - too tired - brain .........has....... ceased

nigh...ZZZZZZzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Just as a side note, a guy I know bought a fujitsu siemens from a small supplier. It had a 9000 radeon sticker on it, but only a 32igp radeon inside!!

I also read somewhere that you can swap out the actual chips from the card by way of a graphics upgrade........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Been looking at alot of laptops for sale lately myself too.
    I was suprised to see PCWorld.co.uk selling high spec laptops for under €1500 (that's when u convert the sterling to Euro)

They have this machine for £999 inc. VAT
    It's a Microstar Laptop:
    Processor Type: Intel Pentium 4
    Processor speed: 2600 mhz
    RAM Memory: 512 mb
    Hard Disk Capacity: 40 Gb
    CD ROM: Yes
    CD ROM speed: 24 times audio playback
    DVD Drive: Yes
    DVD Drive speed: 8 times audio playback
    CD Rewriter: Yes
    CDRW Speed: 24 times audio playback
    Screen size: 15 inches
    Screen quality: TFT XGA
    Battery life: (up to) 2 hours
    Sound: 16bit AC'97 compatible
    Modem: Yes
    No of USB connections: 4
    Touchpad mouse: Yes
    Weight: 3.4 kg
    Height: 308 mm
    Width: 268 mm
    Depth: 42 mm
    Graphics type: ATI mobility Radeon 9000
    Infrared Port: Yes
    TV-out Option: Composite
    No of Firewire Sockets: 1
    Lan Interface: Yes
    Battery Type: L-ion
    Graphics card memory: 64 mb
    Diskette Drive Type: Not Specified
    Operating system: XP Home
    Expansion Bays: 1
    Onboard LAN: Yes

they also have a Toshiba Laptop with specs almost as high as the above, for the same price, but Toshiba are supposed to be a very reliable make. These brands are only available in the UK. I rang the PC World here in Ireland and they hadn't a clue what I was talking about at all...typical.

and I came across a German site that ships to Ireland also that have a very large selection of laptops at nice prices on some brands. I'm just waiting to hear from them if their keyboards on the laptops are "qwerty" and not german.
    it was at www.computeruniverse.net (it has english translation on the site too)

Advertisement