Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Box? When is the next decent game coming out?

Options
  • 09-05-2003 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I bought an x-box because of Halo. When I finished that. I looked around for another game and I bought Splinter Cell. When I finished that, I looked for another game and could not find one. I can't be arsed buying a game for the sake of it or just buying the best available game to fill the gap until the next truly great game comes out. The x-box is almost a year old and there is only one truly indespensible game for it. I haven't even switched the thing on in about 3 months. What you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

halo 2:D

no offense, but all you've got there is an expensive dvd/halo player.

/edit
    shenmue 2 looks pretty class, gta3 & vice city should be coming out next year... that's all i can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

when pigs fly over a nice wintery hell type scene. :)

get it chiped and do some useful stuff with it like linux, emulators and a media player thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Wilbert

I think you are all right. I can't be bothered waiting for Halo2. I will stick with my GC. I played Shenmue 2 on the DC and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Get yourself Mechassault and play on Live if you have broadband. Loads of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

You could chip it and play MAME on it.

Alot of people like PD Orta. I didn't like it as much as the Saturn ones though.

There's Virtua Cop 3 and Outrun 2 in the pipeline..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

probably get hammered for this but anyways...

If you are into sports games and US sports games in particular I would suggest NFL2k3. A brilliant sequel to the DC classics and better than Madden. I also REALLY enjoy playing Tiger Woods 2003. The graphics are great and the gameplay, I think, is excellent. It is golf however and doesn't float everyone's boat.

I do agree that it is very soul destroying going into a game shop and seeing the same titles week after week on the xbox shelves or just average titles appearing that get mediocre reviews.

That's primarily why I got a GC last week...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

there are plenty of good games out for the XBOX. Splinter Cell, Tiger Woods, Burnout 2, NBA Street Vol 2 and many more. The game shops in Ireland suck thats why I order mine from play.com or somewhere else. OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by kensutz
    there are plenty of good games out for the XBOX. Splinter Cell, Tiger Woods, Burnout 2, NBA Street Vol 2 and many more. The game shops in Ireland suck thats why I order mine from play.com or somewhere else. OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!!

Is this a joke? loads of games and you mention 4, one of which is a golf game, one of which is multy format and the other is a basketball game... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what good games are out for ps2 , besides gta vice city, ffX , msg2 , nfs2

come to think of it ffx was released in 2002 and i bought it in 2003 :eek: :(

The only game I play thats worthwhile on the PS2 is WE6:FE. And that's only because we can edit the game to include real kist, advertising boards, real crowd chants and lots more. If anyone bought this months CVG they'd see a write up about what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

how about enter the matrix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

rtcw: tides of war, will be out next week, moto gp2, enter the matrix,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Enter the Matrix is multi-format, and won't look significantly better on Xbox as it was developed primarily for PS2.

In terms of good stuff coming up...

Halo 2
    Splinter Cell 2
    Project Gotham 2
    Fable
    Knights of the Old Republic (multi-format?)
    DoA Online / DoA 4
    Counter-Strike (looks interesting at least)
    Dino Crisis 3 (er, might not suck)
    Starcraft Ghost (multi-format)

That's the list of interesting Xbox stuff which we know is going to be at E3. It's not a bad list I guess, and there's certainly going to be stuff there we don't know about yet.... But compared to the Cube, PS2 and even PC lists, it's actually a bit woeful :(

Xbox still isn't proving that it can get good games out there, even less so than Nintendo is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

the only thing that would make me get an xbox is fable..

although B.C. looks good too

not to start a flame war, but its a very good time to be a gamecube owner.. alot of quality games out at the mo'

and come one, who isnt awaiting mario kart mm mmmmm+

I also have a gamecube but I haven't played it since it launched. The last game I played on it was Virtua Striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

there are a few decent games s on the box, it really depends what ur into, I love the DoA series, after buying DoA2 on the DC, theres also House of the Dead 3, DOAX (some like it) and Shenmue 2.

i dunno, depends on what u wanna use the box for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

iv got a box myself

cant wait for shenmue 2 and halo 2

iv got quite a few games , i like quite a wide range of games, so iv fps, rpgs, beat um ups

theres obviously halo, doa3 project gotham etc

but one of my favorites is hunter: the reckoning, rpg i heard nothing about, saw nothing about but bought anyway, and im very glad i did :)

im sure theres more games worth playing, but as others have said it depends what type of games u like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

panzer dragon orta is the best looking game i've ever seen
    shenmue 2 is class aswell but you might not like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If you want to play Shenmue 2, you can probably get a Dreamcast and a copy of the DC version for cheaper than you can get the Xbox game. The DC version has the original Japanese voice acting with subtitles rather than the god-awful English voice acting, which is a major bonus. And the graphics are almost exactly the same as the Xbox version.

Shenmue III is not in development at the moment - Yu Suzuki has said that he wants to do a third chapter, incorporating the entire remaining plotline in condensed form, but Sega hasn't green-lighted the project yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Caffine
    but one of my favorites is hunter: the reckoning, rpg i heard nothing about, saw nothing about but bought anyway, and im very glad i did :)

Are you insane?! Well if your into pressing the same button over and over, killing everything and anything....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

quote:Originally posted by Caffine
    but one of my favorites is hunter: the reckoning, rpg i heard nothing about, saw nothing about but bought anyway, and im very glad i did

Are you insane?! Well if your into pressing the same button over and over, killing everything and anything....

Its not an RPG either and the characters are way too small on screen. Suffers from fps slowdowns too.

Look at http://www.teamxbox.com/ for a rake load of games forthcoming. Some of them look quite cool.

Matt

Advertisement