Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram

• 09-05-2003 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

please help

I'm at a loss which ram to get.

all i know (or think)
    is that I want 512MB DDR that is 333FSB and CL2.5
    does that sound right?

looking at komplett there is a list as long as my arm and its bewildering me. do i get generic ddr which is my kinda price bracket €50-€60 or the likes of corsair or twinmoss. which is more like €90-100+

is there much more performance gain by going for these branded types over the luverly inexpencive generic kind?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Well the generic stuff is never as good as the stuff corsair or twinmoss will have, but it'll still work!
    all i know (or think)
    is that I want 512MB DDR that is 333FSB and CL2.5
    does that sound right?
    It does sound right but I have to ask, where did you get the info from? Your motherboard/Box/Manual/Op System/friend? It's the motherboard that defines the RAM specs you can have. Does your MBoard support 333Mhz RAM?
    CL2 is faster than CL2.5 (CAS Latency, it's the number of clock cycles it take to find what it needs in the RAM if that helps)
    The 333Mhz RAM is PC2700 by the way.
    That might help narrow your search (in a perfectly simple and straightforward world where asking questions immeadiately brings a solution!!! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

If the various rams all have the same specs, then they should give the same performance. ie. ddr, 333fsb, cl2.5 - these are hard figures.

The variation in price comes in when we discuss that illusive quantity called quality.

The more expensive ones should be more reliable, less likely to fail, and last longer. Because they are manufactured under stricter control conditions, with better and/or purer types of material, and better tested at the factory. (wells thats the theory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

Originally posted by Raz
    It does sound right but I have to ask, where did you get the info from?
    motherboard.
    well the motherboard supports a 400 front side bus. (buying not bought) tbh the cash latency is something i threw in after reading a mag.
    can you get 333FSB with CL2 or can you even get lower than 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i got the same RAM your talking bout from komplett. went for the cheapish one & it turned out to be twinmos RAM , although i think its pot luck which one you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

eek
    that sounds dodgey. pot luk

u order an Athlon XP 2400 and end up with a Duron. lol

I know we aren't talking about much, but im on a budget is it worth holding out for a few weeks watching the prices. will it drop that much?

or is 50-60 as cheap as 512 gets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

theres a lot of hype about big brand RAM TBH.

ive often ran extremely cheap and crappy generic RAM at lower CL settings with no problems

ye pays your money and takes your chance as they say.

unless you want to go overclocking and wanna spend more money, just go for generic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Read the hw tweaking charter before you post in future!

Advertisement